Finger weights?? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Finger weights??

Has anyone used finger weights to strengthen their fingers? I saw them in the "Friend of Musicians" catalog and wondered if they work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 03:54 PM

The problem is, they don't do what you NEED. Unless you can't press the strings hard enough to fret them, you don't need more finger strength. Even if you can't a "gripper" is a better device than finger weights.

Just practice more. Best way to get better at something is to DO it.

And remember Robert Schumann - great pianist who wrecked his HAND AND ability to play with a device to "improve his playing"!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 04:37 PM

I have a specific work out routine I use for my hands. Works great. Must start slow. I wouldn't fall for gimicky stuff. I'll post my hand work out if anyone cares?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 06:35 PM

IMO the best way you can strengthen your fingers and tone them, for playing guitar, is to play guitar :P .

Cheers

Al
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 05:00 AM

Reviews: 2
Yeah man, just play! Stop whenever you'll feel your hands or palms heat up too high (we don't want RSI now do we? )
I do have a gripper though, but that's just for periods when I won't be able to play as much guitar as I use to, for instance during school examination tests. While studying, I'll just slowly press my gripper for about 5 minutes every few hours, that's good enough.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH
I have a specific work out routine I use for my hands. Works great. Must start slow. I wouldn't fall for gimicky stuff. I'll post my hand work out if anyone cares?
Please post your workout if you don't mind-I really like to try something new!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 12:41 AM

The way I see it, finger strength and coordination go hand in hand. Try sliding those 4 (or 5) finger stretched chords around at speed - unless you have the strength, the chord shapes will just fall apart, and your hand will ache.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2003, 03:11 PM

Ok, here is my hand/wrist workout

Phase 1
Get a dumbell you can take the weights off of. Put weights on one end of it(start with like 2lbs or less).

Excercises with this dumbell. Best done while sitting.
A. Grab the end without weight on it. Put your arm on your knee. With the weight up in the air rotate your wrist from side to side.
B. Same as above except the weight is under your arm.
C. Best done while standing, Hold the weight as in A. above, but while standing let your arm hand down and just pull your wrist up(like doing wrist curls).
D. Now lay down. With the arm out, weight towards head, push the weight up and then down(like a reverse curl of C).

Phase 2
A. I do wrist push ups. Basically just standard push ups with the back of your hands on the floor.
B. Finger push ups. Start with all five of each hand. Then 3(thumb, first and second fingers). Then just thumb. And then just first and/or second.

All of this isn't necessary(I'd say phase 2 can be avoided by most) but phase one will help with guitar playing I also use a Hand Squeezer thing(not the goofy guitar thing you push with your fingers, but the hand thing you squeeze together). I use it so much I have to buy new ones every so often cause I wear them out

Disclaimer, these are tough excercises. Not to be taken lightly. Don't do what you can't do. BE CAREFUL

Brian

Tags
guitar playing , playing guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode