In Flames, and their influence - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

In Flames, and their influence

I have got to say that In Flames is just the coolest death metal band in the world. Their song compositions and guitar harmonies is just stunning. The only thing that I had a problem at first when I started listening to these guys was the singer. I wasn't used to the "choking on donkey [email protected]" vocals, but it grew on me very quickly. All of the albums that I have listened to are QUALITY, hands down. It's beautiful how the melodic guitar harmonies clash with the vocals. The overall energy of the band is just something that I havent seen in very many bands, in my point of view. The bassist in my was listening to them originally, and then the other guitarist, and then they both introduced the band to me. It was a little awkward at first (wasn't a big fan of the death metal scene at the time), but upon giving them a really good listen, WHOAH, these guys have something special. I mean these guys changed the way our band writes music when we want to write something heavy (and it's very convenient that there's another guitarist in my band to do harmonies with ). What does everybody here think of this Sweedish (hope I'm right) band?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 01:43 PM

You're right, they are Swedish. I haven't really listened to them that much yet, but what I have heard from them I really like.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 06:32 PM

I would consider them the new wave of progressive music.

definately one of the best band out there right now. very easily in the top 10
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 02:34 PM

I thought the melodic death thing was rather stagnant. When I think progressive, I think Ligeti or Pain of Salvation

I thought Subterranean, Jester Race and Whoracle were great but I don't care much for the albums after that.

Have you heard At the Gates or early Soilwork?
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 02:58 PM

I haven't heard much but realaudio samples here and there on websites since I want to hear more of them, but have no money and gave up downloading from Kazaa, etc.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 06:18 AM

They're pretty cool. Is it the same drummer from ATG? He does that same eighth note against a triplet thing.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 12:28 AM

Im pretty burnt out on the whole Gothenburg, melodic death metal. It was cool at first, but then there where SO MANY copy bands it burnt out really quick. Although I did think In Flames was the coolest at one point.

coolest band to come out of Gothenburg is Evergrey though. Far better than the melodic death metal acts.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 11:02 AM

I don't think Evergrey is really a melodic death metal band, though. I've heard that they're more of a progressive metal band, kinda like Nevermore. I've also heard that they're a great band, so I'm gonna check them out .
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 02:10 PM

All I really know about In Flames is that they do a very interesting cover of Genesis' "Land of Confusion".
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarkatana
I don't think Evergrey is really a melodic death metal band, though. I've heard that they're more of a progressive metal band, kinda like Nevermore. I've also heard that they're a great band, so I'm gonna check them out .
I understand fully that evergrey is FAR from being melo death.

but they're from the same town as all the melo death bands do, and they managed not to be a copy cat band, and in fact be better than all the other bands from gothenburg.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 09:12 AM

Cool, I guess Evergrey rocks then. I'm gonna get some of there stuff pretty quick here.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 01:29 PM

the leads in evergrey are really Racer X reminicent. Both the guitarists in the band are increadible.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 06:05 PM

Finally got around to listening to some In Flames (watching videos mostly actually) and I must say I'm a fan. Any idea what the guitarists and bassist are tuned to?
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 10:05 PM

Their acoustic stuff is cool, too....Pallar Anders Visa, the song that Bam Margera included on CKY2K during the "bee wrangling" part, is really well-done...almost Spanish sounding...
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2004, 01:23 AM

I saw them live, they're pretty good at what they do but a kind of repetitive and not too death metal to me

Tags
death metal , morbid angel , steve vai , strapping young lad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode