Frustrated with Flutter - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Frustrated with Flutter

Ok, heres the problem, Im trying to play a series of note at a medium fast tempo. I want to flutter the last four notes. All the info I got on flutter says to pick the note, then flick the bar or run your finger down the bar and pull off the end. This cannot be what Vai or Oz Fox does cause Ive heard some very fast fluttered note riffs. I think they are probably just tapping the bar as they hammer or pull off but I cant get it to sound like flutter. Also, I went on a guitar chat room and no one could flutter. By flutter I mean that the note still resembles the note but it just sounds like it is under water or gargleing. can anyone tell me how this is done with consecutive notes at a moderate to fast pace?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 08:24 AM

not sure if it's exactly what you're after, but one of my fave tricks is to spin the bar so it faces backwards, then waggle it both above and below normal pitch while doing a legato line with the left hand.

cool waggly sounds!

--c.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 09:54 AM

Re: Frustrated with Flutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wblyheaded
All the info I got on flutter says to pick the note, then flick the bar or run your finger down the bar and pull off the end. This cannot be what Vai or Oz Fox does cause Ive heard some very fast fluttered note riffs. I think they are probably just tapping the bar as they hammer or pull off but I cant get it to sound like flutter.

vai can do it both picked and with pull-offs.

Dude, its honestly not hard, you just have to get used to it. It takes a LOT of practice to be able to do it, but once you get the hang of it, its quite easy.

Fast flutters are often done by keeping the hand over the whammy bar, and hitting the fretted notes legato style.

You have to get used to swating the bar with the right amount of force, and with the bar at the right position. If you want to do it like vai and satch in any way shape or form, I'd strongly suggest flipping the bar 180 degrees. You have to move your right arm a bit more to do it, but believe me, it works better a thousand times over.

Just keep working on it. You know what your doing, you just need to get comfortable with a technique that takes a lot of time.

I spent 3 months straight learning how to flutter. I had weak legato which screwed up my ability to get nice flutters in fast situations.

You'll find that one day, it just comes together like pie crust and filling. Until then, sweat it out, and practice your legato and right arm 'moving' effieciency (from picking position, to flutter position with bar turned outwards). If you bumble around with the right hand, you'll never get it, that I guarantee you.

One more thing....as far as turning the bar outwards to do the flutter, I've had about 3 friends refuse to turn out to flutter, thinking it was just an aesthetic thing. When I finally got them to try it, they released just how much easier it is.

Hope this helps
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 11:38 AM

Re: Frustrated with Flutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester1234
One more thing....as far as turning the bar outwards to do the flutter, I've had about 3 friends refuse to turn out to flutter, thinking it was just an aesthetic thing. When I finally got them to try it, they released just how much easier it is.
the other coolmungous thing is to bounce lightly on the bar while reversed when fretting notes so you get the opposite of a trem dip. kind of eastern sounding.

--c.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 10:31 PM

Can you guys give me the name of a Satriani song where he does this thing (with time indications plz ) cuz I just can't understand which of all his strange techniques you are referring to...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 01:01 AM

check steve vai's blue powder, from p&w, between 4:03-4:10. All those notes are flutters.

As for the other technique earthman mentioned, see satriani's WAR, from the extremist ablum. At the 5:00 mark exactly, the song is winding down, and a guitar does a soft, middle eastern sounding melody....very strange sounding...that's THAT technique
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 02:01 PM

OK I finally understood how this flutter sounds like but understanding how to do it is beyond my reach.

I get the one in War where you just play legato with your left hand and tap on the bar (facing the other way). But the one in blue powder beats me. Are you supposed to that while you pick the strings????

PLease help!!!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 02:23 PM

you can pick a note, then go to the bar, bring it backwards and swat it to get the flutter.

But on blue powder, vai's not picking those notes, he's doing them legato, and every time a new note is played, he swats the bar...spanks it almost. causes that violent flutter.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 02:24 PM

again, his bar gets turned backwards to do it.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 04:38 PM

OK i think i get it.

DO you know any videos where you can see him doing it?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 04:49 PM

g3, for the love of god, the fast part.

don't be intimidated, its really simple. Turn the whammy bar around, hit a note legato, then smack the bar down towards the body (that means you are hitting the note to go sharp, because the bars turned)...it will vibrate the bridge violently: that makes the crazy sound.

If it doesn't work (ie shake the bridge), refine your 'smacking of the whammy bar' technique until you get the bridge to literally vibrate.

3 springs in the back of the guitar helps, as opposed to 4.

You need a floyd rose, a jem preferably, but other guitars with the floyds can do the trick.
IT ALSO HELPS TO HAVE THE WHAMMY BAR TIGHT. if it stays in one place, you'll be able to hit the technique a LOT quicker!

Note: you can also hit a note legato, turn the bar around, push down on it so it goes sharp, and then just let go of the bar. It will snap back into the right position, and it will cause the bridge to vibrate creating the effect.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 01:34 PM

THanks a lot I think I'm starting to get it!!!

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 04:58 PM

no prob

Tags
floyd rose , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode