Ftlof <-- fast part - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

Ftlof <-- fast part

Hi ,

I am Nick Van Campenhout , I am 15 ...
Live in belgium ... Been playing for 1 year ...
I am learning ftlog , and i really dont know how to begin the fast part ...
I have the "learn to play like vai " book , and its got a slowed down example on it , but he doesn't play it correct either , from what isee in the book ... Any1 got tips how to practice this piece ?

ty !!!

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 05:47 AM

right. this aint going to help you but..... I don't know how he does it but i do know that the book is off by a mile.

sorrry totally useless post
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

well it doesn't help hehe but ty anyway !!!

hehhe

NIck
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 05:08 PM

Well, I don't really know how to play it but if you've been playing for only a year I would suggest you to practice something easier. Have you already mastered the slow parts? Try to put as much emotion into them as Vai has. If you are able to come just a bit close to that then you will already have accomplished a lot as a guitar player.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

k

Hi zErO , i can play the slow parts good ... I have the gift of being a pretty talented guitarist , i could play paganinnis caprice 16 (&lt;-- i think 16) when i whas playing 6 months ...
Im capable of playin complex stuff ...
So ...
I really dont now how to begin that piece ... the faster part ...

Ty !
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 09:30 AM

Re: k

Quote:
Originally Posted by not2secure4u
I have the gift of being a pretty talented guitarist , i could play paganinnis caprice 16 (&lt;-- i think 16) when i whas playing 6 months ...
hmm dude , if you can play that , ftlog should be a piece of piss for you , i dont know any shred songs as hard as that...
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 09:56 AM

Pags pieces are usually with even note lengths, Vai's stuff mixs and matches with lots of semi/hemi semi quavers and semi/hemi semi quaver triplets.
The 16th caprice is especially difficult because of the big string skipping.

I would take the usual approach of slowing it down, but then approach it in sections, 1-2 beats of a bar at a time, then the next 1-2, then those 2-4 together. Little pieces.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

FTLOG is harder

Yea, treu , ftlog is harder , there isn't any stringskipping in ftlog , and the fast part is REALY fast paganinni is fast but is the same note length ...
And as you say , its a shred song ftlog is loaded with emotion ...
Ftlog uses evry bit of your capabality as being a full experienced guitarist , or am i wrong ?

NIck
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 09:32 PM

to be honest IMHO I think that windows to the soul tops ftlog in noodling and feel. Vai's done so much quality playing on album tracks I think its a shame how ftlog gets all the attention.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 07:39 AM

not2secure4u -I noticed on your website youve done some recordings, would you be able to record Pags 16th caprice for us? would be great to hear it
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 09:09 AM

I have to say that I definately agree, IMO, windows to soul is just good good as ftlog , and on top of that it sounds fresher when i hear it becuase i must have heard ftlog at least 1000x!

- In regards to playing the fast part i would say get the powertabs for tlog off http://www.powertabs.net; this is bound to be correct becuase most of the Vai stuff is tabbed straight from the book. Then break the fast part down into parts, get the pattern of each part and then just play them, it doesnt need to be note for note becuase at that speed at makes no difference so long as you playing the right notes in the right pattern
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 10:24 AM

Re: Ftlof <-- fast part

Quote:
Originally Posted by not2secure4u
Hi ,

I am Nick Van Campenhout , I am 15 ...
Live in belgium ... Been playing for 1 year ...
heh.. from website
"I'm 15 year started to play guitar when I whas 9 "
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 03:00 PM

why do people feel the need to brag about stuff like this?

dude, if you need help, do what the rest of us do... play the CD over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and ooh, did I mention... over?

then LISTEN to it. stop noodling over the top. and PLAY the song. If you need to find a way around a hard part, improvise, if your as good as you say you'll probably just drop into it.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 03:13 PM

hey if anything beats FTLOG it has got to be "Tender Surrender".
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev Brigden
why do people feel the need to brag about stuff like this?

dude, if you need help, do what the rest of us do... play the CD over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and ooh, did I mention... over?

then LISTEN to it. stop noodling over the top. and PLAY the song. If you need to find a way around a hard part, improvise, if your as good as you say you'll probably just drop into it.
woah calm down fella

Tags
string skipping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode