the full monty, which is book has it all? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

the full monty, which is book has it all?

Hi all, have been playing for quite some time and i was wondering.
ive studied music theory both classical and more modern concepts, i decided i wanted to know as much as i could but im having trouble sourcing information.
my technique is what ive been working on mainly but now that i have built up a fairly solid technique im looking to expand my theory knowledge, mainly in the fields of chordal and scalar studies.
is there a book that tackles just one of these elements and teaches from begginer to very advanced?
ive been looking for a book on chords (not just a book on all the different types but one that goes in depth with theory and explinations)
and a book on scales, just like the book on chords, one that describes not just the scales but all the relevant theory associated with it, from how there constructed to what progresions they can be used over and why, etc etc.

ive found it very difficult to find a book that will focus on what i just desrcibed, there are alot of what i call dictionarys, that just show you the scaled, but that would not help me, i can learn where the notes are but i want a book that explains the why's and how's and when's not just the scale/chord itself
would also help if it was applied to guitar rather than piano or other instruments.

anyone got any ideas as to where to find these "dream" books i seek .

regards
dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 11:16 PM

Re: the full monty, which is book has it all?

Hey Dan, In my opinion I have just the book you need. It's called "Fretboard Logic" by Bill Edwards. I bought this book at the end of the summer. It sat in a pile of other lesson books that I've purchased..learned a few things and never picked up again. Then over the last couple of months I picked up the Fretboard Logic book and really got into it. I have also been playing for a while but if you start at the begining and read all the examples even if you already know the easy stuff..read it again. I have a very short attention span and want things to come my way easily. The more I read it the more I'm like "oh, ok now I get it" It covers why scales and chords are constructed a certain way. The book also has self tests at the end of each section to check yourself. The books are not that that thick but there is ALOT of info in them. When you watch the DVD and see Bill Edwards for the first time he does not look like a guitar teacher. More Like an electrician or shop teacher. Don't be fooled this guy is very good. You can find his books on most major book websites. If you have anymore questions PM me or we can go back and forth on this thread. One more thing, Get the whole package The special edition. One book leads into the other instead of trying to buy it piece by piece. TUGGEY
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

thank you very much, sound like the "dream" book ive been looking for, gonna have a scout around and try and find the best place to shop for it.
really appriciate the reply, i will no dont post back here when i got some more questions about it.

thanks again!!
dan
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 07:10 PM

I agree with tuggey, I bought the whole package about a year ago
and it's amazing, it made me think about the fretboard in a way I have
never done before.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/189...Fencoding=UTF8
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

it looks great and thats what i would want to get, im in the uk tho, is there any place that sells it over hear, inc the dvd, i looked at amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...965636-3571132 and found 2 books that i assume are from the series, but there is no dvd, and i think there is a 3rd installment to

any tips?

dan
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 11:27 PM

Dan, I was glad to see there is another member who agreed with me about the series. There are three books. They can all be purchased seperately. The SE or (Special edition) is all three books and the DVD. I know musicians friend has it for between $69 to $89 usd. I will look into this a bit further into places that ship to the UK and write back. TUGGEY
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 06:31 AM

tuggey Fretboard Logic SE is volume 1 and 2 combined.
Then you get Fretboard Logic 3, "Applications - Creative and Analytical"
That book is thicker then the first two combined.

+ You get the DVD if you buy the complete package wich I recommend.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

i would get the box set but im in the UK and shipping would be quite expensive if buying from the USA, anywhere sell that box set in the uk?, i havent be able to find a source
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 09:33 PM

I would also definitely totally absolutely recommend Mick Goodrick's "Mr. Goodchordís Almanac of Guitar Voice-Leading".

http://www.mrgoodchord.com/site/book.html

I also love his "The Advancing Guitarist" book which addresses a different need to the one which you have stated, specifically how to refine one's musicianship to the highest degree through mindbody provocation.

Thanks to the other posters for mentioning Bill's work, I will have to check it out.

Good luck!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 05:29 PM

ANOTHER amazing book to check out

The most comprehensive theory book around is a book called 'Guitar Encyclomedia' by a guy from Dayton, Oh named Mike Overly. I studied personaly with Mike and his method is similar in SOME ways to Fretboard Logic. For me, 'Guitar Encyclomedia' allowed me to see EVERYTHING on the fretboard in relation to one another,,,scales, chord construction, arpeggios etc. in a logistic manner.

I can tell you PERSONALLY that Mr. Stanley Jordan was WAAAY impressed with the book!

CHEERS!!!!

Tags
stanley jordan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode