Future greatness - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Future greatness

Of the guitarists that have died far too early in life, which one do you think would have progressed music the most had he lived? I'd love to say Dimebag, but honestly I think he did all he was going to do while he was alive. I'd probably have to say Hendrix on his pure imagination
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 08:02 AM

Re: Future greatness

I agree with you on the Dimebag thing, I think he had done all he was going to do. I dont think he would have progressed the music that much to be honest. (No disrespect at all, I love Dimebag, RIP dude). But for me, it has to be Randy Rhoads. He had the stuff to be the best ever......but we never got to find out really did we!

As for Hendrix, I personally think he wouldnt be as "big" now if he didnt die when he did. If Clapton had died instead of Hendrix back then, Clapton would have been 10times the reputation that Hendrix does now. Back then, Clapton was God. I dont think Hendrix would have progressed his music much either to be honest, but I am sure he would still release some good music.

For me though, defenitely Randy Rhoads.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

yeah, the only reason I chose hendrix was cause of the songs he did, NO ONE sounded like him, but clapton on the other hand, even though at the time he was god, wasn't very original. hendrix broke out of the blues scales at least time to time lol I think, as far as reputation goes, alot of the guitarists we envy wouldn't be so great if they hadn't died. SRV was a great blues guitarist, best I've ever heard, but that was as good as he was going to get, I mean, what hasn't been done with the blues?
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 09:45 AM

I can't really think of anyone. I'd like to say Shawn Lane but he'd never have had any such impact on music at large. Besides, he never really finished much. I hear there's loads and loads and loads of unfinished things back at his place... a shame it was never finished and released.

Myself, I never got the fascination with either Rhoads or Dimebag. They've always been terribly overrated and having died doesn't help in that department either, I'm afraid. May sound harsh but oh well, I'm not much for political correctness and glorifying the dead.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 11:51 AM

Duane Allman maybe. Hendrix would certainly have become more of a jazz guitarist, so his impact would have changed countlees others who would have been influenced by him. Difficult to say, really. There are so many outstanding guitarists who never get noticed in the first place...
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 12:42 PM

I think Shawn Lane, he was such a wonderfull musician and even better person. Truly a chameleon in music, so versatile, from the pop tunes filled with emotions, to the jazz tunes played with such a cold mind, yet with a pierceful and mindblowing phrasing, and of course, the fusion with the indian music, just unbelievable, no words can describe that.
He wasnt a steady artist at all,he knew how to reinvent himself in every way.A true art lover in every way, i know he would have impressed us a lot more, but, yo know, sad, sad ,sad...
A true master, RIP!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 03:55 PM

i'd agree on shawn lane. and what about a guitarist that can no longer play? jason becker was starting to branch out from the neoclassical thing towards the end of his career. i'd love to hear what he'd be doing right now
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 04:28 PM

ohh yeah! definitely a monster amongst guitar players, i heard he was composing a ballet, a true example of perseverance...
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 04:34 PM

Randy Rhoads
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777
Randy Rhoads
Definitely Randy Rhoads, he combined lots of different techniques and the solo in Mr Crowley is one of my all time faves
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 05:12 PM

jason becker comes to mind, his compositions were pretty great (air, end of the beginning). it woulda been great to see what he coulda come up with.

wes montgomery is another one even though he left such an indelible mark as it is, would have loved to see him make even more.

duane allman for sure.

hes not dead but he might as well be, syd barrett the original guitarist for pink floyd.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 05:13 PM

I'm going with Jim777 and saying Duanne Allman.
Personally I feel he is very under rated in the whole scheme of guitar players.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 04:35 AM

Rhoads.

What you got with him was just the tip of the iceburg. He never really got a chance to really develop as a player. I'd heard at one point that he actually grew to prefer the classical side of his playing and may have left the metal scene.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpd111
Rhoads.

What you got with him was just the tip of the iceburg. He never really got a chance to really develop as a player. I'd heard at one point that he actually grew to prefer the classical side of his playing and may have left the metal scene.
Yes - I also think he was headed in that direction. Wow....just imagine if he were still here after all those years of develpoment...one can only fathom!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 07:47 PM

Reviews: 5

Hard to say what might have been.

Although he's not technically dead- Syd Barrett's been dead man walking since the late sixties. I wonder what he could have done.

Stevie Ray was just cleaning up when he died- he might have approached his music with more focus and power... who knows.

Tags
eric johnson , guitar players , jason becker , pink floyd , randy rhoads , shawn lane , steve vai , stevie ray , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

who played back to the future solo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode