Future in music :) - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Future in music :)

Hey everyone

I live in England, am 17 and basically really want to go for a career in music, be it the business side, or if i get lucky, with a band.

I plan on going to the Brighton Institute of Modern Music (BIMM) and am just looking for advice from anyone here that has maybe been to music universities in England, or even people who have gone through GIT and the American equivalents.

Im not really sure what opportunities lie ahead, if you get me. I know that if I work hard- a degree is on offer, but there are other courses such as business studies, tailored to the music industry, as well as other things.

I guess Im just wondering what i could get into after university, perhaps what others have done and what you were able to do- just for ideas.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience they can share?

Thanks a lot

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 02:48 AM

Re: Future in music :)

im going to GIT here in the states finally (after a few delays on my part) in april. im not really going there for a piece of paper that says i know music well, i just want to learn more and more and i imagine the amount of talent in that area will really push me further as well.
i wouldn't mind playing in a pop band if the chance came about, but im not going to hold my breath. but, all i want to do is private lessons (already doing that, but i teach at a store. i'd rather be reputable enough to successfully teach out of my home, though) and also play gigs a few times a week ( no education needed for this). so really, im just going to help further my musicianship. i can already make a living with music.
there will always be a demand for a specialized service like guitar instruction, so if you have your goals set much higher, its always something comfortable to fall back on. i guess the reason im doing the teach/play out lifestyle is because all of my teachers that chose this route are very happy people because they're enjoying themselves AND making a nice chunk of change.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 06:25 AM

Cool Re: Future in music :)

Teach music bro,& play in a cover band make some good money this way, the music seen you see on the tv film clip's, MTV & so on are made to look like big dollar's are made by the artist, the only one's making the money are the company's that push these artist like a Drug! never sign your sole away bro! thing's aren't what they seem, don't be fool to think there's a pot of gold waiting for you at the end of the rainbow

Cheers bro & good luck!-Jake
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 07:08 AM

From what I hear the best thing about studying in schools like GIT, Berklee, BIMM is the networking, getting to know people etc., so make sure you make the best use of this to get session gigs and so on. Getting into the business side of things might be a safer bet, but I think the only way a music school can help you there is once again the networking and getting to know the people/companies in the business. You would be as well, or better prepared with a regular business/management/marketing/economics degree, but you'd have less chances to make contacts in the biz.

Just some thoughts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Thanks for quick responses and the advice.

Yeah, I was never going to hold my breath for a big deal haha- but if the opportunity were to present itself I wouldn't hesitate, which is probably what most musicians would do.

Again, feeling happy what Im doing is a big thing and teaching music has always been in teh back of my mind- especially after talking to my guitar teacher- seeing his pupils progress and be able to play the music they want, he says, is very fulfilling.

I mean, is it possible to make a good living from teaching? I suppose you could always expand into opening your own school and things like that, which would be very cool.

Conversely, music production also interests me. Lol there are so many things to look into that I thought I would start with you guys.

Has anyone else got any information on the 'business', advice etc.

Thanks again for the replies.

James.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeby1
I mean, is it possible to make a good living from teaching? I suppose you could always expand into opening your own school and things like that, which would be very cool.

Has anyone else got any information on the 'business', advice etc.
the two private instructors i have both support their family themselves by teaching and playing out a few times a week.
as for business, i echo the thoughts of others; contacts. i was lucky enough to get a teaching spot without even being interviewed because of a recommendation from a respected player in the area.
if you meant business courses, i can't help you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode