Ibanez JEM Forum banner
4K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  jim777 
#1 ·
How many guitars do you guys that play out take on stage with you? Back-up guitars, needed guitars, etc...?

#2 ·
for one band, two: main and backup. we only use one tuning so i only really *need* to change if i break a string.
for the other band, three: one in standard tuning, one in dropped tuning, and one backup that'll comfortably do either.

i like to keep my carried stuff to a bare minimum, but i could definitely see someone needing more if they were playing a covers set or any situation where they'd need more sounds/tunings available.

#3 ·
Right marky. I'm in a cover band and we are only in 440, but we should be in dropped D and b as well. We will eventually be in all. Than I will need one of each and at least one good back-up. If I had a good stop-tail I would be able to tune it real quick on stage. So with that being said, my band (me) will need a 440, b, dropped D, and my two acoustics or 3. WOW! So for me 6-7 guitars!

#11 ·
Usually just three in that coffin case, no need to lug all three cases, lug a stand or rack for the guitars and besides having wheels on the back it closes up nicely for transport.

Most of the time:

2 Ibanez tremmed in A440
1 Hardtail for drop tunings or a back up if needed

We played a long gig the night this pic was taken so i actually had 4 with me ;)

#15 ·
Usually just three in that coffin case, no need to lug all three cases, lug a stand or rack for the guitars and besides having wheels on the back it closes up nicely for transport.

sorry to hijack the thread but that coffin case looks great. I bought a rack style holder so I could have my guitars handy but am paraniod about the kids getting hold of them, that seems like an ideal solution.

Shame I can't find anywhere in the UK that stocks them

#13 · (Edited)
Well....
(All in standard tuning)
Normally:
JEM7VWH
JEM77BFP with GK-3 roland synth pickup.
Sometimes RG7620 (Green Swirl)

Plus, if there's enough space:
Charvel EVH Art
Burns Brian May
Epiphone G1275 Double Neck
Epiphone Sheraton II

To acommodate all these I have a guitar input switch box I made!
Phew methinks he is compensating for something.....
Jim

#14 ·
I am playing in a cover band. I used to carry 2 guitars, until one night that we were playing "Crazy Train" my A string broke right after the intro riff, :( the band continued to play, I changed to my backup just on time for the solo and... BANG, my B string breaks 8O!
We called it quits for the song, I took a break to restring both axes while the band played "Wait for Sleep" (Dream Theater).
Now I carry 3 guitars (all tuned Eb)

#16 ·
I LOVE my coffin case. They are $159 here in the States and it was well spent IMHO. I called Coffin Case the other day on an unrelated topic and chatted with them about the triple case and I was told they are working on a nicer version that will be more road tough like their flight cases. This version is like a "protoype" to test the market until they get the finalized heavy duty version finished up. ;)

BTW- they are cool guys to talk to and answered all my questions, and I had lots. I want to send them my bands EPK and see if there is a possibility of an endorsement in our future with them.

~Bones

#17 ·
believe it or not, just one :) i used to bring a back up all the time, but after years of playing and gigging, i've realized that i almost never break a string *knocks on wood*. i've got a beater guitar at home that i use solely for warming up that i haven't changed the strings on for over a year and no string breakage whatsoever. gigged and practiced with the same guitar for the last 3 years also with no string breaks. funny thing is, i don't necessarily have a light touch on the strings unless i'm doing faster runs.

i do bring an extra set of strings (my main is for all intents a hardtail), but i probably should be bringing a backup just in case. but there's just something very cool about showing up with one guitar and your amp ;)

#21 ·
The last time I played out steady, I played a PRS CE24 as my main guitar, with an FP and N4 on stands as backups. The PRS did everything I needed to do, so it only rarely came off. Not a 10 of 10 for anything, but a solid 8.5 of 10 for any style you could play. Awesome gigging guitars the PRS CEs are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.