Going to LA Namm show for the first time - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Going to LA Namm show for the first time

I am phyched, I just hooked up with Peavey for an endorsement deal for JSX amps and HP special guitars and they hooked me up with Namm Badges!

any tips for getting the best out of the trip?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 09:50 AM

Reviews: 18
Re: Going to LA Namm show for the first time

Call Jenna Jameson and ask her to be your date

Jimmy

P.S.: Congrats man!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 10:32 AM

greg howe is gonna be at the peavey booth....you lucky bastard haha
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 11:01 AM

Congrats on the endorsement!

Have a great NAMM trip.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post

Jimmy

+1 and congrats and post some pics .

Regards

André

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 12:10 PM

How/when/where did you get endorsed?

Congrats
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Jimmy

There is a great idea :-) Peace
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vette6600 View Post
greg howe is gonna be at the peavey booth....you lucky bastard haha
Ya, Seen that! That will be awesome, Joe Satriani as well! It's gonna be cool!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:

Jimmy

I'm sure Tito will be right at her side.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
How/when/where did you get endorsed?

Congrats

I'm not sure myself how this Peavey deal happened, 1st off, this has been the most recent link in a long chain of weird **** happening that pretty much all began when Steve Vai picked me as the winner of the Steve VAi/Ibanez/Tonos guitar challenge. Which was a true Dream come true for me.

I will get back to the Peavey thing in a minute, I would like to share my story of Meeting Steve, I think Vai fans will get a kick out of it. Plus this being Jemsite, Please know I am a Jem freak, I own 2 DBK's myself, One I got from Steve as part of the contest, he signed the headstock for me as well :-) I liked the guitar so much I ended up buying a 2nd one because I didn't want to screw up the one I won in the contest.

Strangest thing, before any of this stuff happened I met Steve VAi in a very real lucid dream vision, This still hurts my head, here is that story.

I had the most incredible Vision in a very very lucid dream one night, In this vision a guide is leading me down a hallway that leads into a Concert club, when we get inside the club, I realize Steve Vai is preparing to do a show, the club was totally empty, Steve is standing in front of the stage telling the sound guy how to EQ the guitars, I remember being Phyched, I was like cool, it's Steve Vai!

The band starts playing this tune called "There's a train that's leaving", I remember the song hitting me as if it was the most spiritual song I had ever heard, Steve is singing and it seems as if he's almost floating above the floor and he comes right over to where me & the guide were standing, He get's right in front of me and the music stops and in this thunderous voice Steve says "WELCOME ABOARD"

And at that point I sat right up in my bed and instantly awoke, I was like "What the **** was that about?" Chalked it up as one of the wierdest & most real dreams I had ever had and went back to sleep.

Around two or three days later, I make a Visit to Vai.com, I see this banner that says "Enter the Ibanez/Steve Vai/Tonos guitar challenge, well, the furr on the back of my neck went up, I had learned to pay attention to syncronicity and wierd coincidences, because there is no such thing.

So i entered the contest, After the Vai contest Mp3 file had finished downloading, I transferred the tracks to my ADAT/my home studio and as I was listening to Vai's backing tracks, it occurred to me that a guitar riff I had just wrote days earlier seems like it should fit well, I fired up my guitar amp and threw a microphone in front of the speaker, I just had to hear if my guitar part would fit over Vai's tracks! It fit perfectly! I was so inspired by what I heard, I thought, "I am going to record some solo's!" The solos were recorded on the 1st take, one pass through. To say this whole session seemed inspired would be an understatement, I listened back to the song, I thought to myself "Well, that's it!" I sent in my version of Vai's "Jibboom" for the contest the same night, at about 5:00 the same morning.

I have to say my heart sank when I learned that hundred's of guitarists had entered the contest, and you could even listen to all the entries online! It became clear how many great players were out there! I would consider myself lucky if I even placed as a runner-up. The entries were narrowed down to the top 10 and there it was! I made it into the top 10!

The entries were then narrowed down to the top 3, I could hardly bring myself to look and see if I had made it, I looked and to my surprise, there was my name again!

There was only one more step and that was the announcement of the grand prizewinner and that would be announced on March 15, 2001. Well, the 15th came and went and there was no announcement!

I decided I should call Tonos on the 17th and it was then that I found out I was the Grand Prize Winner!

As you can imagine, I could hardly contain myslf, it worked out that I would be flown to meet Steve Vai at a G3 show on July 8th, 2001.

I arrived at the concert venue around 12:30 in the afternoon, I met Vai's tour manager and rhythm guitarist Dave Weiner shortly after. Dave told me Steve would not be there until around 6:00. Seemed like I had all day to just hang out! I have to say it felt a little strange and surreal being there all by myself.

The thought of meeting Steve Vai was strange to me. 1st of all, I just met Steve in the dream/vision when he said "welcome aboard" and now I was being flown to meet the man himself. 2nd of all, I had begun to understand that there were many different level of souls here on Earth and that there are some very advanced beings that are incarnate here as beacons of light to those still in darkness. I am still convinced to this day that Steve Vai is one of these beings.

I had full access to anywhere I wanted to go at the show except for the dressing rooms; the food catering room quickly became my favorite place Imagine my surprise as I was grabbing a sandwich to see Billy Sheehan, the world-renowned bass player and founder of one of my favorite bands Mr. Big, standing right next to me! Billy was playing bass for Steve Vai on this tour. I remember, thinking to myself, this is too cool!

As 6:00 grew closer & closer, I became more & more anxious. Shortly before 6:00, Dave Weiner let me know that Steve was in the house and that our meeting would be held in Vai's dressing room, Dave said he would come to get me as soon as Steve was ready. I began to just sit and meditate in an attempt to calm myself, 5 minutes or so had passed which seemed like an eternity when Dave came out and said "Well Michael, you ready?"

Dave walked me to Steve Vai's dressing room and when I entered I noticed Steve was not there yet. The dressing rooms size blew my mind. it was huge! It had a couch, with two Victorian style chairs at either end. I took a seat in one of these chairs. Since Dave and I were the only ones there at the moment, I took the opportunity to look around the room, there was a countertop that wrapped around the other three walls and this countertop was almost completely filled with lunchmeats, breads, vegetables, and every type of cheese.

A couple of minutes had passed when Steve walked in the room, and right past me! He was talking on a cell phone and from his angle I don't think he could see I was in sitting in the chair right behind him. He continued talking for a minute or so and all I could think was Oh my God, That is Steve Vai!

When he was finished talking, Steve turned and seen me sitting in the chair, he said, "Michael, how are you?" Well, let me tell you, I thought I would be beyond nervous but he had a way about him that made me feel comfortable and at ease.

Steve walked over and sat down on the couch. We talked for 45 minutes or so! One thing that shocked me about Steve was how humble he was, after seeing him perform countless times and from his performance in the movie "Crossroads", I had constructed a mental image of Steve Vai as being somewhat ****y and arrogant, in a Sting (the singer, not the wrestler) kind of way. Nothing could have been further from the truth. Steve Vai was genuinely one of the nicest people I have ever met.

We talked about a wide range of subjects such as recording techniques, his days with David Lee Roth, other musicians we both admired, but the thing that really blew my mind was how complimentary he was of my playing! He told me that what I had done "Blew him away"! I just about had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming! He added "A lot of really great players had entered the contest" but he felt my version of Jibboom was the most creative! He even gave me permission to use my contest version of "Jibboom" on my new CD!

One of the highlight's from my meeting with Steve was when I asked him how he played the riff for "Big Trouble" from the DLR era, Steve says "Let me show you" and he goes and grabs his guitar and plays it for me! So, I'm sitting there in a chair thinking....Steve Vai is jamming for me in his dressing room?

Afterwords Steve said he thought it was odd that I asked about that song in particular because he had just been recently thinking about how much fun that song was to play live! I also remember Steve saying that tune had a "Slinky" vibe about it, I said ya, I love smokey, bluesy, riffs & grooves like that, Steve goes, "Ya Slinky!"

I also remember Steve saying DLR would make him turn up his amp so loud it would actually scare you when he first hit a note, and he said DLR wanted it even louder! Billy Sheehan added "Ya, That was the only tour I've ever worn ear protection on!"

I watched two thirds of the show from the soundboard; I watched the remainder of the show from the side of the stage! After the show, I spoke briefly with Steve again and thanked him for everything, had my picture taken with him and that was that!

You can imagine, I was a huge Ann Rice Fan, On the Plane Trip to meet Steve, I remember thinking that I would have felt no different if I were being flown to meet Lestat.

Last edited by frozenthought; 01-08-2007 at 10:19 PM.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Since then, Richard Pike who was Steve's assistant and publicist at the time heard my tunes and liked them and offered to help me start my own label to self release my latest CD "Frozen Thought", Rich created a web site WWW.Michaelleehill.com and handled the publicity for the CD. A true God Send.

I just found out Rich will be going to the NAMM show too! It will be cool to hang out with him :-)

Rich was working with Emerald Guitars who created the Vai "Ultra Zone" guitar one thing led to another and I became a Emerald acoustic guitar endorser around 2 years back. They make great acoustics.

I'm sharing all this because you asked how the Peavey endorsement deal came about, it's all connected I believe.

Anyhow, the latest thing I can add is I have become kind of well known in the UFO community, Let me give you a little back ground. I live in Eastlake, which is a suburb of Cleveland, I Live about a two good rock throw's from Lake Erie, about Four years ago from my backyard I seen a very close UFO, it was right over the closest edge of the lake, to this day it is the most amazing thing I have ever seen, I did not get that one on tape but it sparked my interest in trying to film them but before i get into that let me tell you what this craft looked like, It looked like a flat platform made of glowing Plasma (Red) you could make out the edges very well, they was not blurry. On top of this "Platform" sat what looked like a glowing sun, kinda like a ball of plasma that was around the size of a small plane, The ball was about 1/3 the length of the bottom part. just picture a line with a ball on top and that is what it looked like, the line part about ten feet Thick I would say.

After that, On every chance I get, I would go down to Lake Erie and take my Sony Digital Camcorder with me, and a tripod, I would get everything set up and then would stay usually till 1 to 3:00 AM, I really liked just going and hanging out at the beach.

My UFO footage has been featured on the Art Bell Website, WWW.Clevelandufo.com, Featured on CBS action 19 news and most recently four of my clips were featured on Top UFO researcher David Sereda's latest UFO film "UFO's unplugged with Dan Akroyd".

Because of David using my footage, I became close friends with David and I am now co-producers with David Sereda in his new film called "From here to Andromeda" I am also being interviewed in the Film and much of my UFO Cleveland Lake Erie footage will be shown. Plus I am doing the soundtrack.

Now, getting back to Peavey, I screwed up my footswitch on my amp so I called Peavey, I ended up talking with their Head Amp designer, he asked me about what I was up to musically, so I told him about the Vai contest, my Cd's & whatnot, and the new UFO film and soundtrack info, I told him I used 5150's and Wolfgangs on most of the recording that will be on the soundtrack and that I was a huge fan of Peavey gear for a long time.

Next thing I knew he hooked me up with Peavey's artist rep guy, and the next thing I knew they were sending me this Satch Rig and HP special guitar.

I have never been so happy I screwed up one of my amps! I would have never called them if I hadn't F'd it up.

Probably more info than you needed but I thought fellow Vai fans might be interested in how this all came about.

I am really looking forward to seeing the 20th Anniversary Jem (I will have plenty of Pictures!) Perhaps I will upload some pics of it as soon as i get back.

Picture of the Peavey guitar

and amp

I also got one of the new Satriani 4X12 Cabs, it is awesome!

Last edited by frozenthought; 01-08-2007 at 10:34 PM.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 10:21 PM

awesome guitar!!! congrats on the endorsment
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 01:52 AM

stunning stuff Mike.
awesome history.
lovely HP Special.
lucky [email protected]**** LOL
congratz,
Tubarão.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 03:48 AM

That HP special looks great. Looks like a carved top too .

Regards

André

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 04:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys, Ya, I feel the same about the guitar :-) Yes it is a carved top, It's actually a Van Halen Wolfgang, Same pickups, and Neck, but they just made the body more balanced and you can coil tap the pickups by pulling the Volume & Tone Pots up, the volume knob taps the Bridge & the Tone knob the Neck Pickup.

The single coil tone is cool but I still think the Jem's get the best position 2 & 4 single coil tones of anything on the market :-)

Peace,
MLH

Tags
acoustic guitar , backing track , billy sheehan , coil tap , dave weiner , david lee roth , floating trems , joe satriani , neck pickup , rob balducci , steve vai , trem setter , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode