Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Going to Winter NAMM 2010!

Tags
namm
6K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  JackButlerGOT 
#1 ·
After about a million years of reading about NAMM from afar (usually about 5 months later, in the pre-internet days by the time the US guitar magazines arrived here) I decided it's time I went there myself. After all, I'm now writing for 3 different guitar mags as well as my site www.iheartguitarblog.com and I really should be there to provide on-the-ground coverage and meet up with all the cool contacts I've made in recent times. So I'm packing up the family and making the long (actually only 12 hours - not too shabby!) flight from Australia to California.

Who else is going to NAMM? It'd be cool to finally put faces to the names!

I've got so much to do while I'm there! I've applied for a guitar lesson with Paul Gilbert, Premier Guitar mag has mentioned the possibility of me guest-hosting a couple of videos for their site, and I'm hoping to catch a Mike Keneally gig if he's playing at NAMM this year (seems I'm always hearing about these killer Keneally sets and I always miss them). What else should I do, as a first-time NAMMer?

#2 ·
Congrats! I went in '05 and didn't want to leave. I had dinner across the street from the convention center @ the Outback steakhouse with Kerry King eating dinner in the seat behind me. Talk to Dean Markley and other brands about their "after shows", I went to a (free!) amazing show with a looooong list of my favorite artists while I was there (Lynch, Dimartini, Sabo, Bettencourt, Perry Ferrel, Malmsteen, Dick Dale, lead singer from Yes, Neil Zaza, drummer from Living Color and Michael Anthony). The weather was nice but we actually got a small bit of rain and the convention center is literally across the street from the original Disney Land in case you want to visit with the family. Enjoy and bring back tons of pics!! oh yeah, fly light because you should end up with tons of giveaways and literature to bring back. :mrgreen:

#3 ·
WOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Just got confirmation of my lesson with Paul Gilbert while I'm there!!!!!!!!!

While I'm NAMMing my partner and son will be at Disneyland. In a way I'm jealous cos I'll miss out, but then again, I'll be at freaking NAMM!!!

#6 ·
yes i am going to and also to the gilb vip lesson. Does anyone know who else artist wise will be at namm.
I am torn between bringing my pgmfrm1 or the pgmfrm2 or my new pgmtfb? both my fireman are already signed so i think the tfb needs sig and a gilbert doodle.
Anyone care to organize a lunch or meet at the conference?
Is vai going to be there- i assume so.

#8 ·
I'll post a few things here but most of it will be on my blog and some magazines.

What I'm going to do is set up a separate email account for people to request NAMM stuff. If you want to know, for instance, what new basses Mike Lull is releasing this year or how the RG1527 will be different in 2010, email me a request and I'll wander over to the company's booth and write a blog post about it, and encourage you to link to the info on the web forum of your choice if you wish.

#15 ·
I'll be at NAMM.. haven't missed one in forever// the Galaxy Theater show that someone else mentioned above was one of those unforgetable shows.. my favorite moment was either the Jordan Rudess and Yngwie jam or when Nuno and Lynch got in an argument on stage and were nose to nose.. Michael Anthony and Gary Cherone had to get between them and separate them... to quote Cherone.. "One TOO MANY egos on the stage right now!" lol!

#16 ·
:lol: Lynch made me laugh that night with a comment he made when Nuno was trying to find Yngwie for the "last jam" part of the show, Lynch said, "put a box of donuts on the stage, that will get him out here!". Yngwie had already left the building by then. I still have my pass, a few various picks from some of the players and the set list from Nuno's sets that I pulled off the stagefloor after the show, what a great show. :mrgreen:

~Bones

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.