Going to Winter NAMM 2010! - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Going to Winter NAMM 2010!

After about a million years of reading about NAMM from afar (usually about 5 months later, in the pre-internet days by the time the US guitar magazines arrived here) I decided it's time I went there myself. After all, I'm now writing for 3 different guitar mags as well as my site www.iheartguitarblog.com and I really should be there to provide on-the-ground coverage and meet up with all the cool contacts I've made in recent times. So I'm packing up the family and making the long (actually only 12 hours - not too shabby!) flight from Australia to California.

Who else is going to NAMM? It'd be cool to finally put faces to the names!

I've got so much to do while I'm there! I've applied for a guitar lesson with Paul Gilbert, Premier Guitar mag has mentioned the possibility of me guest-hosting a couple of videos for their site, and I'm hoping to catch a Mike Keneally gig if he's playing at NAMM this year (seems I'm always hearing about these killer Keneally sets and I always miss them). What else should I do, as a first-time NAMMer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 07:19 PM

Re: Going to Winter NAMM 2010!

Congrats! I went in '05 and didn't want to leave. I had dinner across the street from the convention center @ the Outback steakhouse with Kerry King eating dinner in the seat behind me. Talk to Dean Markley and other brands about their "after shows", I went to a (free!) amazing show with a looooong list of my favorite artists while I was there (Lynch, Dimartini, Sabo, Bettencourt, Perry Ferrel, Malmsteen, Dick Dale, lead singer from Yes, Neil Zaza, drummer from Living Color and Michael Anthony). The weather was nice but we actually got a small bit of rain and the convention center is literally across the street from the original Disney Land in case you want to visit with the family. Enjoy and bring back tons of pics!! oh yeah, fly light because you should end up with tons of giveaways and literature to bring back.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Just got confirmation of my lesson with Paul Gilbert while I'm there!!!!!!!!!

While I'm NAMMing my partner and son will be at Disneyland. In a way I'm jealous cos I'll miss out, but then again, I'll be at freaking NAMM!!!
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 10:50 PM

Reviews: 25

Namm Shmamm sounds like a horrible waste of time :P

I hate you !!!!

Have fun ya bugger !!!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 05:17 AM

Congrats! I will be attending NAMM this January as well. It is a big dream come true for me as well! And double congrats on the Paul Gilbert lesson!! I was thinking about it but just don't have the cash to blow at the moment.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 02:16 PM

yes i am going to and also to the gilb vip lesson. Does anyone know who else artist wise will be at namm.
I am torn between bringing my pgmfrm1 or the pgmfrm2 or my new pgmtfb? both my fireman are already signed so i think the tfb needs sig and a gilbert doodle.
Anyone care to organize a lunch or meet at the conference?
Is vai going to be there- i assume so.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 04:32 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie View Post
What else should I do, as a first-time NAMMer?
Take millions of pics and post them here at Jemsite!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Killer View Post
Take millions of pics and post them here at Jemsite!
I'll post a few things here but most of it will be on my blog and some magazines.

What I'm going to do is set up a separate email account for people to request NAMM stuff. If you want to know, for instance, what new basses Mike Lull is releasing this year or how the RG1527 will be different in 2010, email me a request and I'll wander over to the company's booth and write a blog post about it, and encourage you to link to the info on the web forum of your choice if you wish.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
I'll post a few things here but most of it will be on my blog and some magazines.

What I'm going to do is set up a separate email account for people to request NAMM stuff. If you want to know, for instance, what new basses Mike Lull is releasing this year or how the RG1527 will be different in 2010, email me a request and I'll wander over to the company's booth and write a blog post about it, and encourage you to link to the info on the web forum of your choice if you wish.
Oh I see ... sorry then. That looks like a procedure for important and business people. I'm just a guy who plays guitar , so I'll just wait until you post some pics

Cheers!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh I see ... sorry then. That looks like a procedure for important and business people. I'm just a guy who plays guitar , so I'll just wait until you post some pics

Cheers!
Nah, it's for anyone who's interested in gear! All these years I've wished I could just command some dude at NAMM to go get info on a specific piece of gear, and since I'll be there this time I figured I should provide that service to anyone who wants it!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Nah, it's for anyone who's interested in gear! All these years I've wished I could just command some dude at NAMM to go get info on a specific piece of gear, and since I'll be there this time I figured I should provide that service to anyone who wants it!
I'm not interested in any specific piece of gear (well, maybe 7-strings ), so I'll just let you enjoy your travel.

Last edited by Mr. Killer; 12-22-2009 at 11:24 AM.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm not interested in any specific piece of gear (well, maybe 7-strings ), so I'll just let you enjoy your travel.
Well that's a great idea in itself - I should do a wrap-up of all the new 7 strings I can find. As a seven stringer slinger myself (as my old band's singer used to introduce me on stage) that's something I'd be very interested in myself!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 06:32 AM

never been to NAMM, but I went to the Muziek Messa in Frankfurt..it's the EuroNAMM..was a great experience..I met Dave Mustain, and saw Kerry King doing a demo..
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 560licious View Post
I met Dave Mustain, and saw Kerry King doing a demo.
Now I hate you
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 03:20 PM

I'll be at NAMM.. haven't missed one in forever// the Galaxy Theater show that someone else mentioned above was one of those unforgetable shows.. my favorite moment was either the Jordan Rudess and Yngwie jam or when Nuno and Lynch got in an argument on stage and were nose to nose.. Michael Anthony and Gary Cherone had to get between them and separate them... to quote Cherone.. "One TOO MANY egos on the stage right now!" lol!

Tags
namm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode