Good Ol' coldplay - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 10
Good Ol' coldplay

Taken from Ultimate-guitar.com :
Coldplay is being sued by a man who calls himself a "well-talented" yet "unknown" songwriter. The man claims the band straight up jacked three of the nearly 4,000 songs he's written in his lifetime, reports TMZ.com.

Sammie Lee Smith filed a lawsuit against the UK indie band yesterday (January 13) in Los Angeles County Superior Court, alleging that they stole his songs "Yellow", "Clocks" and "Trouble".

In the lawsuit, Sammie claims since 1976, he has "recorded approximately 100 tapes, each tape containing approximately 40 songs." Sammie does not say if any of his other 3,997 songs were ever stolen by anyone.

As obtained by TMZ, Smith states that he wants Coldplay to stop performing the tracks live.

This isn't the first lawsuit the band have faced - last year Joe Satriani filed for copyright infringement when he claimed the group had used elements of his song "If I Could Fly".

Haha anyone's thoughts and comments? haha
-BV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 12:33 PM

Re: Good Ol' coldplay

I hope they get the book thrown at them this time.

PS - As far as I had heard Coldplay and Satch settled out of court.

Oh, and if we're lucky, maybe this will gradually unfold like the Tiger Woods scandal. How many more artists are going to step forward?

Last edited by Inzane; 01-15-2010 at 12:44 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 03:15 PM

Reviews: 59

Yeah, the Satch suit was settled out of court and I never heard any details as I think that was part of the settlement.
Hopefully it does amount to a similar Tiger-esque scandal. I like some of Coldplays stuff, but if they did rip music, off with their heads. That said, this guy doesn't sound like a source as credible as Satch and I'd be interested in seeing his proof. Does anybody know who that guy is or am I revealing a woeful ignorance by even asking....
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 06:13 PM

Reviews: 2

If you've written 4000 songs of course a few of them will sound like some others.

My guess is that it's just some kind of joke, unless the guy really is serious about the lawsuit.

Gives me the idea of recording some really crappy tapes and sue everyone who has ever used a I IV V progression. Boy oh boy is the blues world is gonna get a rockin'!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 06:39 PM

Reviews: 3

I agree with Magical Muffin and until someone comes up with something TRUELY unique I don't see how musical ideas can be copyrighted. Every lyric, phrase, melody, chord progression, beat etc. etc. etc. that you hear in popular music has been done a million times before and will be done a million times again. Just because someone was more successful in using it than someone else who tried 30 years ago doesn't mean they stole it. Does everyone who has ever made money playing a blues lick need to cough up money in reparation to the descendants of the founding delta blues players? Or anyone who has ever written a song about a lost lover need to pay to the man who first had a guitar and broken heart?

The answer is no. Obviously a song can bare TOO MUCH resemblance to something someone already created and seem suspicious but that is still not proof that the song was stolen.

Tags
coldplay , lawsuit , stealing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode