good songs to illustate the concept of 'pocket' - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2003, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

good songs to illustate the concept of 'pocket'

Hey guys

I'm not crazy about posting this in this forum, as i'm not sure how many actually visit here, but here goes....

I'm breakingi n a new drummer. He's technically very good and he's a good singer too....however, he just doesn't seem to have 'the groove'. I gently made him aware that he needs to work on his feel a little...

He needed more specific examples. I told him to listen to Stevie Wonder and lots of black drummers....but I was having a hard time being more specific. I've since come up with examples of lots of James Brown records and certain Steely Dan songs (Peg, for example).

Now I know that pocket is created by a bass player and a drummer, but some drummers seem to be able to create that feel with just about anyway.

Anyway...i'd appreciate some example of good funk/funky 'pocket' songs. Dream Theater examples are not welcome .

~K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2003, 04:00 PM

You and DT...

I'd recommend all of the Hendrix "Band of Gypsys" disc. Hendrix's leads basically define "in the pocket" on that album, and the drums and bass are rock solid.

-D
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2003, 05:28 PM

Jeff Plate of Savatage is an extremely solid drummer. I don't know if that really helps... I'd say primarily Hendrix, or maybe some Black Sabbath. Maybe Rush? It's not real funky, but Lee and Peart are extremely tight rhthmically, and Peart has a great sense of rhythm.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2003, 11:14 PM

Listen to some Primus. Two albums i'd recommend are "Suck On This" (live) and "Sailing the Seas of Cheese" have lots of great for tight drum/bass interplay and wicked grooves.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 09:46 AM

They might not be the most memorable for the sound of their drums, but Queen did a lot of good stuff, and it's not your arch enemy, Dream Theater....
Oh, and let's not forget the one armed guy from Def Leopard.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 10:34 AM

great in the pocket stuff

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew and In a Silent Way these songs are totally about playing in the pocket and grooving, best choice in my opinion.

Pink Floyd - Animals, the song Dogs is the best example off this disc

Allman Brothers - Live at Fillmore East 2 drummers, but still great examples

Keith Jarrett - anything with his trio (Gary Pea****, bass and Jack DeJohnette, drums) DeJohnette is a great drummer to listen to because he accents while keeping the groove, he was also the drummer on the Davis discs listed above.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 12:49 PM

Bootsy Collins' solo stuff?

Don't want to be obvious but Chad Smith & Flea?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
That's so weird... i was just thinking of "Warped" by RHCP and what a wicked groove that song has. Dave Navarro playing guitar definitely adds to the "pocket" factor.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 04:20 PM

Re: good songs to illustate the concept of 'pocket'

You cant talk about "in the pocket" without mentioning Tower of Power - Try Drop it in the slot for starters.

How about Jungle Boogie - Kool and the gang, Funkadelic - One nation under a groove, Jamiroquai - Canned heat etc etc
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
That was my vote.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 06:07 PM

Booker T and the MGs?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe View Post
Hey guys

I'm not crazy about posting this in this forum, as i'm not sure how many actually visit here, but here goes....

I'm breakingi n a new drummer. He's technically very good and he's a good singer too....however, he just doesn't seem to have 'the groove'. I gently made him aware that he needs to work on his feel a little...

He needed more specific examples. I told him to listen to Stevie Wonder and lots of black drummers....but I was having a hard time being more specific. I've since come up with examples of lots of James Brown records and certain Steely Dan songs (Peg, for example).

Now I know that pocket is created by a bass player and a drummer, but some drummers seem to be able to create that feel with just about anyway.

Anyway...i'd appreciate some example of good funk/funky 'pocket' songs. Dream Theater examples are not welcome .

~K
I'm going to give this a shot.... but to me playing in the "pocket" is more of a transitional state that occurs when several musicians during a song or performance begin to communicate musically on a higher plane. Their timing is impeccable and all contributions by each musician take the music to a special place seldom achieved on most albums or during live performance.
With that said..... don't take it wrong, but to me there is a difference between having a tight rhythm section (bass/drums) and playing in the pocket. Having that (tight bass/drums) is mandatory for "playing in the pocket" to occur. Some of the songs and performers listed above are good examples of in the pocket. Undoubtedly, one of the best examples given is Jimi Hendrix with Mitch Mitchell & Noel Redding. Santana is another fine example. Along with recordings like "Spectrum" by Billy Cobham with Tommy Bolin. That was one example straight from heaven. You have a Jazz /Fusion drummer & bass player teaming up with basically a rock player and the magic just happen from the first punch-in!
Any jazz band worth it's weight, get to the pocket pretty frequently. Gota go with Kenny too in regards to Steely Dan, those guys could get there pretty easily too. Eric Johnson with Tommy Taylor & Rosco Beck, Joe Sat. with Stu Hamm, heck the list goes on. Checkout "Congo Square" by Sonny Landreth with David Ranson, Mel Melton & The Wicked Mojos on "Live at Grant Street Dancehall". They weave in and out of the pocket several times.
Anyway, , specific funk tracks I'm short on..... but they're definitely out there. Here's a link regarding playing in the pocket.

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=17487

Last edited by jemplayer55; 11-17-2006 at 07:26 PM.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 07:43 AM

Black The Sky - Kings X

nuff said
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 08:47 AM

I can't believe nobody has noticed Kenny asked this question 3 YEARS ago, lol
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez249 View Post
I can't believe nobody has noticed Kenny asked this question 3 YEARS ago, lol
LMAO weeeeeell better late than never, aye?

I wonder if Kenny still has that drummer lol!

Tags
eric johnson , jimi hendrix , miles davis , pink floyd , playing guitar , stu hamm , tight bass

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode