Grades - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Grades

picture the scene ... my first session with my first guitar teacher.... (after being self taught for 1 1/2 years) he asks me to show him what i can do, so i go straight into Satch Boogie pull it off perfectly and he says "wow"! He then tells me I should go for a "Concert Grade" but tells me I need Grade 8......... so off I go to practise

Is anyone else doing and grades? and has anyone got a concert grade?

Im so happy at the moment, cos I thought I was pretty average.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 02:10 PM

woo! good for you dude! 1.5 years and satch boogie perfectly? impressive! go get that concert grade!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

satch boogie is pretty easy cos of the repetitions.... i really want to learn devils slide , but dont have the engines of creation book
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 09:35 AM

I don't know how the electric grades go, they brought them in a while after I finished training. I have classical grade 8 and what I presume is a "concert grade", an ALCM, Associate of the London College of Music, diploma.

This involved a high level of theoretical work (as did grade 8, in my time ('94) you would have had to pass Grade 5 Theory before you did Grade 8 Theory before you did Grade 8 ), plus a written exam on music theory.

As far as I see it (and I mean no disrespect) if you achieved the concert grade not only would you be able to play Satch' Boogie you'd have an extremely competent knowledge of both the fingerboard and aural application of modes, triads, harmonies, time-signatures - in short you'd be an awesome guitarist if you were applying it to your improvisation and day-to-day playing.

For me as a youth surrounded by other players (albeit this was classical) it was a way for me to prove *to myself* that I did indeed have the ability I thought I did.

I could not recommend anything more highly - apart from playing in a band and writing music that is, when ability goes out the window and art comes in - for a young player.

As Globbits said - get to it!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Well I started playing the piano (my first school wouldn't teach anything else) when I was around 5 until I was about 12, then about half a year later I started playing the guitar, and i'm 14 now.... so I think I could pass the theory....
I feel I can pass the grade 8 pretty easily, but I wasnt going to attempt the concert grade just yet

Thanks for your advice
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 06:06 PM

Satch Boogie after 1.5 years playing, impressive stuff

FYI here's an idea of what's needed for Grade 8 from the RGT:

http://www.registryofguitartutors.co...c/eggrade8.htm

P.S: yay 3 scots all on one thread

Cheers
Mark.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 08:02 PM

Got my perf Dip this year in classical guitar. was a pain in the ass as I was doing my finals in Human genetics at the same time!

but it was absolutely worth it, im a far better player than I ever was or thought I could be (classical guitar that is), and I fell (even more) in love with the instrument.

Best of Luck

Steve
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 12:22 PM

ook! just looked up grade 8 skills at RGT. Can play competantly, up to 8 standard, but am very shabby on scales arppegios and generally what i would have called 'theory' as opposed to playing ure ass off...
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks very much mark, thats a great help... I looks pretty easy, whic is good, and slightly disconcerting at the same time, anyway... they dont say anything about playing pieces...
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Well... just to let you all know... (cos i know you really care :P ) I have done my Grade 8 and got the results... a distinction.... So I am pretty pleased and my next rung on the ladder is a concert grade... wish me luck...
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 09:12 AM

I don't get this "Grade" thing... is this a British/UK thing? Because I don't think I've seen this stateside...

Skimming the list, I'd want to grab a guitar and confirm that I could blay dominant 11th and 13th arps off the top of my head in a few different positions, but I'm 99% positive I could pass that on a first attempt... I was under the impression that the grading system was a little harder than that...?

Idunno, if oen of you guys cold explain how this works, that'd be cool.

-D
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 12:04 PM

The RGT Grades don't require you to play pieces (I think) I passed my Trinity Rock School Grade 8 last year and that was (without wishing to sound like an egomaniac) relatively straightforward (I won't say easy). I'm planning on doing the RGT Teaching Diploma next but that RGT is some real serious learning of chord/scale relationships. It's exactly what I need but there isn't as much spoon feeding as you get in Trinity (which is basically a book that says "learn this and regurgitate") RGT is more like "Here's a chord progression, with six different key changes, improvise a solo over the top". Requires a much greater knowledge of the instrument.
It's a shame there doesn't seem to be a happy medium electric guitar course, more like the classical grades, that require a good working knowledge of theory and an ability to play pieces.
I've been playing for over 12 years but I've never really had the patience or desire to sit and learn songs, but after doing my grades I can sit for days trying to play new stuff. It's definitely turned me into a much better player.
Good luck with the concert grade though man.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 12:30 PM

Lol, without much effort I could probably pass Grade 2 at best...
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 12:49 PM

Same here! I'm sort of embarrassed to say I'm Grade 8 when I can only manage about Grade 3/4 with the RGT course. Gonna have to put in some hours. Trying to learn to read music as well. Can see why Vai played 10+ hours a day. BTW, how is that 30hour day design coming along God?
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 02:56 PM

i did some grade 5 peices 2 years ago. grade 5 had songs similar to queen and chuck berry difficulty.
Grade 6 had a robben ford kind of thing and a metallica style song. The main differences the higher the grades go are the theory tests and the fact the songs have more improvisation.
In my grade 5 pieces the solos were about 8 bars. In grade 6 there was a hendrix style song with a 24-bar improvised solo over Em and Fm.
These were "Rock School" grades

Tags
chord progression , electric guitar , eugenes trick bag , robben ford , satch boogie , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

compare rgt grades abrsm

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode