Guitar Backing Tracks - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Guitar Backing Tracks

Hello everyone,
I'm fairly new to Jemsite and would like to introduce myself. I have just got into the art of recording and its a lot more complex than I imagined it to be.
I've started out by recording some backing tracks, looking for some feedback on the quality of these tracks, also if they are useful for practicing or not. Heres http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...eJdbSYoNGV1TLC what I have already put out and I will continue to add content as often as I can, my goal however is for each track to improve on the quality of the previous one. Let me know what you think of my current work and as always feedback is appreciated.
Thank you all.
-Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 01:26 PM

Re: Guitar Backing Tracks

Very cool... been jamming with this one today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAJc...eJdbSYoNGV1TLC
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Awesome, I'm glad to hear that at least one person is enjoying them! I will continue to make more!
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilchaosattack View Post
Awesome, I'm glad to hear that at least one person is enjoying them! I will continue to make more!
Please do... Since I don't have any musician friends I like play along to backing tracks. I think it would be fun to make them someday, but not sure where to start... no experience with drums, etc. How do you make them? Do you have drum software and start with that?

After the Eb one I switched guitars and played along with the Em ballad and then the Em clean one. I never read below on the clean one, so the change-up in the middle surprised me. It was cool though, I just kicked my dist pedal on and kept going! Nice change...
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

So yeah for drums I just program them into cubase. I would like to record real drums but the costs associated with buying drum mics and a mixer etc are too high.

All the guitars are recorded through my Peavey amp with a shure sm57 microphone. I double track the rhythm guitar and then add bass. I plug a bass direct in to my computer using a usb audio interface.

After that I just try to mix it for a good level, I don't do much post production.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 12:20 PM

Reviews: 4

Love 'em!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 02:41 PM

Get band-in-a-box and you can create your own backing tracks in any genre of music, any key, etc. There's also a book called The Big Book of Backing Tracks (Hal Leonard) that goes for about $20; it includes a USB with all high-quality recorded backing tracks in rock, blues, jazz, etc.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 03:13 PM

Yeah, these are some pretty cool backing tracks, maybe one can be used for the Feb guitar challenge.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

I'm going to upgrade my recording room since I got my taxes back! After that I'll get back on the track!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 09:59 PM

I thought they sounded fine.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Made a new track with Toontrack's software Addictive Drums. That software is killer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyXY...ature=youtu.be
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Made a new track with Toontrack's software Addictive Drums. That software is killer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyXY...ature=youtu.be
Killer backing track, sounds good man!!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Fire Eagle, I feel I am getting better with each track so its good to get positive feedback. I going to buy the ezdrummer metal packs next.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Thanks Fire Eagle, I feel I am getting better with each track so its good to get positive feedback. I going to buy the ezdrummer metal packs next.
That last one sounded very good. All it needs is vocals and lead guitar to be a song... lol.

Is it expensive to get a decent drum sequencing setup? Is it just a VST that you use in your DAW? I'm very interested in making backing tracks or even full songs someday... but not sure where to start. How do you start one? With drums... then bass... then guitars? I hope you don't mind me asking!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
That last one sounded very good. All it needs is vocals and lead guitar to be a song... lol.

Is it expensive to get a decent drum sequencing setup? Is it just a VST that you use in your DAW? I'm very interested in making backing tracks or even full songs someday... but not sure where to start. How do you start one? With drums... then bass... then guitars? I hope you don't mind me asking!
It will cost you some money for a good setup.
Right now the DAW I use is Cubase 7, $99.
For the drums there is an awesome program called ezdrummer, the price of that ranges from $150 for the basic version or there is one for $250 that includes more kits and sounds.
I mic the amp with a Shure SM 57 $99
use a usb interface to get the mic to the computer $70
Also got a midi keyboard for other sounds $200
and of course you need a reasonably good pc.

So it can be pricey but I tend to buy things piece by piece.
You can always add more gear, its a never ending quest.

Tags
backing tracks , instrumental , metal , rock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode