Guitar straps bad for guitars finish? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Guitar straps bad for guitars finish?

I bought a strat and the salesman threw in a strap in the sale. It's a Levis strap and after a couple months/few weeks it seems that the finish (underneath where the strap contacts the guitar) is cloudy.

Is this standard or should I buy a better strap? One with genuine leather?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 10:56 AM

Reviews: 18
Re: Guitar straps bad for guitars finish?

How does a strap's finish get cloudy? Did you mean to say that the strap is stripping away the finish from the strap buttons?. Post a pic. If you got a Strat, you should get schaller straplocks and install them on both the strap and the guitar (if your strat didn't come with them preinstalled).

Jimmy
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 11:23 AM

Uhhhhh, dude, you knew what he was talking about...

Straplocks aren't advisable if you've got a high end guitar the value of which you're trying to preserve. Too many people end up stripping the strap button holes badly. If it's a MIM or MIJ Strat then, yeah, get some straplocks.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
How does a strap's finish get cloudy? Did you mean to say that the strap is stripping away the finish from the strap buttons?. Post a pic. If you got a Strat, you should get schaller straplocks and install them on both the strap and the guitar (if your strat didn't come with them preinstalled).

Jimmy

Yes, the strap seems to have changed the finish somewhat. As in taking off the shine.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 01:19 PM

Smile Re: Guitar straps bad for guitars finish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShred View Post
Uhhhhh, dude, you knew what he was talking about...
If I knew what he was talking about, then I wouldn't have posted a comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShred View Post
Straplocks aren't advisable if you've got a high end guitar the value of which you're trying to preserve. Too many people end up stripping the strap button holes badly. If it's a MIM or MIJ Strat then, yeah, get some straplocks.
That logic makes no sense whatsoever. If you have a high end guitar, more times than not, you are going to make sure the guitar has the lowest chance of falling off while you're playing it, hence the need for a dependable set of straplocks. Ususally, most people who own a high-end guitar will have some common knowledge of how to work on a guitar, which would include installing a set of straplocks. The rest of those folks who feel unsure about doing such upgrade, usually will take their guitars to a tech and will pay money to have them installed.

As far as the value of a high-end guitar is concerned, it's not going to be affected unless we're talking about a vintage instrument (example, a 1950's dead mint Strat) or a highly collectible like one of the $25K "Blackie" clones.

Would I install a set of straplocks on a Zakk Wylde model or on a PRS Dragon? Absolutely.

FYI, most American made Strats come equipped with Schaller straplocks. Most MIM or MIJ Strats or Squiers do not have straplocks and only have the vintage strap buttons. The high end Ovation guitars come with Dunlop straplocks preintstalled from the factory. Before you make some ridiculous statement like that, I'd suggest you really think about what you're saying because it made absolutely no sense.

Jimmy
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatzz View Post
Yes, the strap seems to have changed the finish somewhat. As in taking off the shine.
Tom,

My suggestion would be to go to your nearest guitar shop and get a set of Shchaller straplocks. If you are unsure or don't feel comfortable about installing them, pay the shop to have them do it. The biggest benefit is that if they come loose or something, they'll fix it for free.

The biggest mistake people make is that they tighten the screws really hard and that basically turns into the problem because it strips the wood. If you decide to do it yourself, use the screws that come with the straplocks, tighten the screws nicely and don't overtighten them. A nice little torque after you've reached the furthest point and that's it.

After 16 years, one of the straplock buttons on one of my Strats came loose and wouldn't tighten anymore. I went to Home Depot, got some Elmer's wood filler ($2.00), took the screw off, applied the filler, let it dry for a couple of days and then put the screw back. Needless to say, the straplock button is solid and does not move.

Jimmy
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
FYI, most American made Strats come equipped with Schaller straplocks.
My Strat is American made. Highway 1. But it doesn't have the things you describe.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 03:32 PM

I'd put straplocks on any high-end guitar anyday.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatzz View Post
My Strat is American made. Highway 1. But it doesn't have the things you describe.
Highway 1's come with the vintage style buttons. Get some Schallers and you'll be fine.

This is a Schaller set of straplocks

This is a vintage button (notice the difference)

Jimmy
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 06:23 AM

I have put dimarzio cliplocks on all my guitars, sure its expensive but i know there is minimal chance that they would come off
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 06:06 AM
Eco

Well, when my dad bought his Gibby Les Paul, he was told it had a Nitro Celulose finish (or something like that) which reacts with rubber products to leave cloudy marks in the finish, which kinda look like greasy stains apparently, so he had to use real leather straps and stands.

Or are you saying the finish on the strap is getting damaged? if thats the case i wouldnt worry about it, no one really looks at the finish condition of your strap.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco View Post
Well, when my dad bought his Gibby Les Paul, he was told it had a Nitro Celulose finish (or something like that) which reacts with rubber products to leave cloudy marks in the finish, which kinda look like greasy stains apparently, so he had to use real leather straps and stands.

Or are you saying the finish on the strap is getting damaged? if thats the case i wouldnt worry about it, no one really looks at the finish condition of your strap.
No, it's the finish on the guitar.

Re your dad's Gibson Les Paul. I've got a Gibson Les Paul Studio. New. And the finish is cloudy where the neck contacts the hardshell case. Also Gibson.

I think I'm maybe not going to worry about imperfections in the finish of my guitars. Character and all.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 06:43 AM
Eco

In that case its probably some rubber product in the strap reacting with the finish, if you use a real leather strap it wont damage the finish.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
If I knew what he was talking about, then I wouldn't have posted a comment.

That logic makes no sense whatsoever. If you have a high end guitar, more times than not, you are going to make sure the guitar has the lowest chance of falling off while you're playing it, hence the need for a dependable set of straplocks. Ususally, most people who own a high-end guitar will have some common knowledge of how to work on a guitar, which would include installing a set of straplocks. The rest of those folks who feel unsure about doing such upgrade, usually will take their guitars to a tech and will pay money to have them installed.

As far as the value of a high-end guitar is concerned, it's not going to be affected unless we're talking about a vintage instrument (example, a 1950's dead mint Strat) or a highly collectible like one of the $25K "Blackie" clones.

Would I install a set of straplocks on a Zakk Wylde model or on a PRS Dragon? Absolutely.

FYI, most American made Strats come equipped with Schaller straplocks. Most MIM or MIJ Strats or Squiers do not have straplocks and only have the vintage strap buttons. The high end Ovation guitars come with Dunlop straplocks preintstalled from the factory. Before you make some ridiculous statement like that, I'd suggest you really think about what you're saying because it made absolutely no sense.

Jimmy
If you want to install straplocks yourself on a high end guitar then, by all means, that's your choice. If you feel that there's no way you're going to strip the thread then that's your opinion. I could be 100% wrong and I have no problem conceding to that if that is/was the case. Strap locks don't fall under any religious tenet of mine, so I'd likely not get emotional and go off on a tirade about it and how "ridiculous" I thought your opinion was. I wouldn't even consider your opinion "ridiculous" to begin with. I'd simply see it as variant.

I stated my opinion, and you disagreed. You know, it happens. Learn to deal with it.

Tags
dimarzio cliplock , gibson les paul , gibson les paul studio , guitar shop , les paul , les paul studio , mij strat , strap button , strap buttons , strap lock , strap locks , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode