Ibanez JEM Forum banner
11K views 49 replies 21 participants last post by  DEADTUNES666 
#1 ·
Don't you all just love how the man plays? I sure do!

#10 ·
Having played for a looong time, and having seen so much, I am quite jaded
So this is only my opinion...

:) Johnny Smith had more melodic feel with technicality than anyone I'd heard of until...

:cool: Al Dimeola, George Benson, and Lee Ritenour who blew my mind in a way no one had before until...

:D Joe Satriani and Steve Vai, who made me see that guitar playing was limitless. I knew no one would make me feel that way again until...

8O Guthrie Govan, who impresses me and makes me feel the way I felt when I first heard Surfing With The Alien. One of the most well rounded guitarists I've ever heard. Utterly jaw dropping. The depressing thing about Guthrie is I don't think he's peaked yet. I think some seasoning will yield a better understanding of his ability within himself. There will be a masterpiece recording yet to come and that is scary...

#21 ·
August 2006 was the official release. I am still waiting for Paul to ship the CD Erotic Cakes to me... Man, i never met anyone who workes THAT slow.

I would love to hear new tunes also. I am very glad with youtube during that wait.

#23 ·
I ordered the CD over a month ago. I have the CD on my IPOD for ages now, but i wanted the original to support the artist and let's face it. It's just cool to have original CD's :D

Anyway, Paul is just a "tad" slower than most businesses. I think i will get the CD, just not before 2009 though ;)

#24 · (Edited)
Best guitarist in the world in my opinion. He seems to possess limitless ability, and has tone to absolutely die for.

He and his brother actually went to the same school that I did :D. They live about 20 miles away from me and are friends with my cousin, and for some reason I still haven't been to one of their fortnightly gigs :S. I walked past him a couple of times when I was last home in December/January.

#26 ·
Man, i would totally go those gigs. I envy you that you live so close..

I would love to order a cd of his. 1. Can someone reccomend one. I really like his Jazz Fusion playing like the above link. 2. I linky to a home page of his would be nice.
You can order the solo album "Erotic Cakes" directly from Cornford Records.

http://www.cornfordrecords.com/index.php

It can take a while though. I haven't received my CD yet, but i'm sure i will. I'm sometimes inpatient :D

In my opinion Erotic Cakes is one of the best albums since Passion & Warfare so be carefull.. You might have GAS attacks ( cough * Suhr * cough cough )and a new hero ;)

#31 ·
Interesting. I don't see him like that. I know Guthrie was influenced by Vai but I don't think he has his head up his ass or anything in terms of being too "out there" or "experimental". Which Erotic Cakes songs do you feel are too experimental?

#32 ·
I'd actually have to listen to the album to tell you that... which should say it all really. I don't regularly listen to his album, and I don't even know most titles from the top of my head. I know I liked Waves and Fives...
But in general I just prefer him ripping it up on that Larry Carlton backing and such.

#33 ·
Alright, cool.

Some more decent tracks on that album, though. Ner Ner is good. Do you like that one? Sevens is spectacular. Slidey Boy is sheer class.

There are a couple of things I don't like, such as Rhode Island Shred. Great playing but I don't care for it. Uncle Skunk is just too Vai-ish for me. Hangover drags a bit too.

#44 ·
GG is a FREAK! I have like two good licks, and I still tweak my gear to get great tone. I have so much respect for guys like him. GG is on a whole other plain, his feel and tone... above board. The really sickening part is that he pulls it off live. He flat wails, and has great tone any time I've seen him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.