Guthrie Govan - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
 
Brosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Oostzaan, The Netherlands
Posts: 1,806
Guthrie Govan

Don't you all just love how the man plays? I sure do!

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=bUZK9dasP8s
Brosa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 07:40 PM
 
CosmicDebris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Richmond VA, USA
Posts: 3,980
Re: Guthrie Govan

He very much inspires me to play more. Even though it looks like a hippie.
CosmicDebris is offline  
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 07:59 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,525
Re: Guthrie Govan

hes def one of my fav's.. amazing player.. so musical yet so technical
shogun is offline  
post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 08:04 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nagoya, Japan
Posts: 1,847
Re: Guthrie Govan

He's good definately but I am really tired of that style of Jazz.
kotornut is offline  
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Dee
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 渋谷区、東京都
Posts: 8,514
Re: Guthrie Govan

Yes, Guthrie can do everything. I love the guy.
Dee is offline  
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 12:02 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 858
Re: Guthrie Govan

Not too shabby.

Amazing tone. Makes you want to buy a quilt-top Suhr and a Cornford doesn't it?
gu1tar is offline  
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 12:10 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Rugby, UK
Posts: 2,361
Re: Guthrie Govan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gu1tar View Post
Makes you want to buy a quilt-top Suhr and a Cornford doesn't it?
Suhr does !!
markg5150 is offline  
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 12:24 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: london,uk
Posts: 6,512
Re: Guthrie Govan

Nah....she kicks his ass

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=2IMA5C...eature=related
andy7jem is offline  
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 12:29 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: pa
Posts: 835
Re: Guthrie Govan

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy7jem View Post
lol, sarah silverman shreds
Carlo is offline  
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 01:17 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Dunmore, PA
Posts: 2,325
Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Guthrie Govan

Having played for a looong time, and having seen so much, I am quite jaded
So this is only my opinion...

Johnny Smith had more melodic feel with technicality than anyone I'd heard of until...

Al Dimeola, George Benson, and Lee Ritenour who blew my mind in a way no one had before until...

Joe Satriani and Steve Vai, who made me see that guitar playing was limitless. I knew no one would make me feel that way again until...

Guthrie Govan, who impresses me and makes me feel the way I felt when I first heard Surfing With The Alien. One of the most well rounded guitarists I've ever heard. Utterly jaw dropping. The depressing thing about Guthrie is I don't think he's peaked yet. I think some seasoning will yield a better understanding of his ability within himself. There will be a masterpiece recording yet to come and that is scary...
DEADTUNES666 is offline  
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
 
Brosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Oostzaan, The Netherlands
Posts: 1,806
Re: Guthrie Govan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post
Having played for a looong time, and having seen so much, I am quite jaded
So this is only my opinion...

Johnny Smith had more melodic feel with technicality than anyone I'd heard of until...

Al Dimeola, George Benson, and Lee Ritenour who blew my mind in a way no one had before until...

Joe Satriani and Steve Vai, who made me see that guitar playing was limitless. I knew no one would make me feel that way again until...

Guthrie Govan, who impresses me and makes me feel the way I felt when I first heard Surfing With The Alien. One of the most well rounded guitarists I've ever heard. Utterly jaw dropping. The depressing thing about Guthrie is I don't think he's peaked yet. I think some seasoning will yield a better understanding of his ability within himself. There will be a masterpiece recording yet to come and that is scary...
I couldn't agree more with you. I feel exactly the same way.

I haven't been so excited about a guitarist since i heard Greg Howe in 1993 with the album Introspection.

Cheers, Sam
Brosa is offline  
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 03:26 PM
Dee
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 渋谷区、東京都
Posts: 8,514
Re: Guthrie Govan

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy7jem View Post

Nili is a good player. First saw her quite a while back and always thought she has lots of potential. I would like to see her work on her vibrato a little more (don't be getting any funny ideas now!), but overall she's a very good guitarist for her age.
Dee is offline  
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
 
Brosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Oostzaan, The Netherlands
Posts: 1,806
Re: Guthrie Govan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Nili is a good player. First saw her quite a while back and always thought she has lots of potential. I would like to see her work on her vibrato a little more (don't be getting any funny ideas now!), but overall she's a very good guitarist for her age.
I agree. She's a good guitarist for her age. It's nice that she's able to nail the Guthrie Govan solo so nicely. If she keeps playing and improving, it's a promise to the future.

Speaking of Guthrie Govan. Don't you guys also have instant GAS for a Suhr Standard?
Brosa is offline  
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 03:34 PM
Dee
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 渋谷区、東京都
Posts: 8,514
Re: Guthrie Govan

Always wanted a Suhr and a Cornford! I'll take a reverse headstock, H-S pickup version of anything they make!
Dee is offline  
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
 
Brosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Oostzaan, The Netherlands
Posts: 1,806
Re: Guthrie Govan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Always wanted a Suhr and a Cornford! I'll take a reverse headstock, H-S pickup version of anything they make!
I love those reversed headstocks also:

Brosa is offline  
Reply

Tags
andy timmons , george benson , guitar playing , guthrie govan , joe satriani , larry carlton , reverse headstock , reversed headstock , steve vai , suhr standard

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OMG latest guthrie govan clips - Get ready to crap your pants! Al M Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! 30 11-22-2009 04:08 AM
Guthrie Govan "Waves" tab Josh_P Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! 26 03-12-2007 09:09 PM
Guthrie Govan... maestrocity91 Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! 18 02-27-2007 12:47 PM
Guthrie Govan album out now! Al M Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! 138 12-22-2006 12:15 AM
Guthrie Govan clips.... jeff l Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! 3 10-11-2004 10:02 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome