Guys, this is incredible - Page 4 - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 01:45 PM

Re: Guys, this is incredible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez2005 View Post
Tell me one song by Vai or Satch thats as emotional as Band of Brother by Dire Straits?
Band of Brother? Maybe you would say Brothers in Arm...and I would add also Telegraph Road! I agree with you even if I like listening to Vai and love song like Blue Powder or FTLOG which i think are an excellent mix of technic and emotion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 11:50 AM

I like Tony, and he's definitely a good guy and a good player, but that was one of the most boring things I've ever seen. It sue hasn't aged well from the days of "speed for speed's sake".
post #48 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Music exists because of logic? WTF.

Look back in history, it wasnt a scientist or a maths genieus who came up with music. People started comunicating using drums, that was the first music and it progressed from there.
Scales and timings came with it, they didnt come first. Its just progression. Anyone can create a scale or new time signature, but we've stuck with what others have said are "right" or "normal" like 4/4 or A major.
Ill create one and call it "D sh1t face".

Eh, wrong. The drums followed patterns that were assigned meaning. It was logical. You can't communicate using a set aof patterns if you don't assign meanings to the patterns.

And the notes most certainly did come from a maths genius. The intervals were created by the ancient greeks, who based everything on a series of ratios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRAShred
macalpine is better than vai in every way, except that he plays carvin and not ibanez
A bold state ment that you can't prove.

Quote:
everybofy get off vai's johnson
I agree with you, but you could articulate better.

Quote:
and if you dont think the 1st solo has emotion then you probably dont think marty has emotion. and therefore suck,
my opion
I find no emotional provocation from the first solo, but Marty Friedman (I'm guessing this is the Marty you're referring to) does stimulate my emotions. Infact, I'm listening to Rio right now. And no, people don't "suck" if they don't agree with you, and I've never heard the word "opion" before.

Quote:
people that say vai and gilbert have no feeling you probably cant play as technical as them but u think u can play blues or jazz and are overly content with it.
Jazz players have a right to be content with it, jazz is, in my experience, harder to play well than instrumental rock is. You try soloing over Chick Corea's "Spain" without looking like a retard.

Quote:
these 2 can do it it way better than you with way more emotion. otherwise youd be in there shoes.
No, there is such thing as undiscovered talent. And there is no emotion in either of their playing. I'll leave that argument to rest though.

Quote:
as for malmsteen hes famous for neoclassical shredding- not feeling so dont even bring him up anymore with these guys if you talk about feeling.
His music influences my emotions....

Concerto Suite is mighty.

Quote:
and to say hendrix has no feeling is purely idiotic
No, it's an opinion.

Quote:
his music is pure felling.
If you perchance mean "feeling", then you're completely wrong. His music, as all music is a series of sound waves. If you actually mean felling, then I'm confused, becuase I don't see how music can be purely chopped down trees.

Quote:
not saying i like him alot but he does have good taste in his good songs
Not as far as I care.
post #49 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 02:10 PM

Tom, im sorry but MacAlpine is a little more talented than Vai. The guy is not only a musical genius when it comes to guitar but also a genius on piano.

Don't get me wrong, Vai is super talented and he's phenomenal but really, do you think Vai can play classical musical masterpieces by Chopin? I don't think so, or so I have never heard of him doing so.

Now, they are both from Berklee so technically, they most likely know alot about music in the same way but I really strongly believe that MacAlpine is better. Again, it's my opinion but also a no-brainer.

I found this lovely vid of MacAlpine playing the keyboard, what a masterpiece. ~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOuMDXXaRTY

Another one of CAB rehearsal~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0ENL...elated&search=

Vai and MacAlpine guitar battle~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INEFY...elated&search=

Oh, and let's not forget about this~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHf2zQFp6Ek
post #50 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flobanez View Post
Tom, im sorry but MacAlpine is a little more talented than Vai. The guy is not only a musical genius when it comes to guitar but also a genius on piano.
I agree that he's the more capable musician, we just can't prove it.
post #51 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gilroy View Post
Eh, wrong. The drums followed patterns that were assigned meaning. It was logical. You can't communicate using a set aof patterns if you don't assign meanings to the patterns.

And the notes most certainly did come from a maths genius. The intervals were created by the ancient greeks, who based everything on a series of ratios.

A bold state ment that you can't prove.

I agree with you, but you could articulate better.

I find no emotional provocation from the first solo, but Marty Friedman (I'm guessing this is the Marty you're referring to) does stimulate my emotions. Infact, I'm listening to Rio right now. And no, people don't "suck" if they don't agree with you, and I've never heard the word "opion" before.

Jazz players have a right to be content with it, jazz is, in my experience, harder to play well than instrumental rock is. You try soloing over Chick Corea's "Spain" without looking like a retard.

No, there is such thing as undiscovered talent. And there is no emotion in either of their playing. I'll leave that argument to rest though.

His music influences my emotions....

Concerto Suite is mighty.

No, it's an opinion.

If you perchance mean "feeling", then you're completely wrong. His music, as all music is a series of sound waves. If you actually mean felling, then I'm confused, becuase I don't see how music can be purely chopped down trees.

Not as far as I care.
Yeah a language, not logic. A way of communicating.
post #52 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Yeah a language, not logic. A way of communicating.
I thought languages were built on logical structures...
post #53 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 06:01 PM

Maybe, but there's no emotion in language
post #54 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 06:53 PM

Reviews: 10
Exclamation Re: Guys, this is incredible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gilroy View Post
I thought languages were built on logical structures...
You're arguments are correct Tom but obviously they're not getting through,
and some members here like to argue for the sake of it even though they show
by their idiotic posts that they don't know jack!!! (You know who you are!)
so give it a rest and don't waste anymore energy on this thread, obviously
the forum members that are REAL musicians understand the point you're making.
post #55 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Well i originally posted the video of t-mac to show what a great musician he is. I stand by my argument that some players play emotionally and some play like they are warming up and playing exercises. Theres only so much repetitive music that one can take, whether its Vai, Satch, Gilbert, Malmsteen or MacApline playing their particular riff/style that they play.

As for "REAL" musicians "understanding" the point, how do you define a real musician?
What's this got to do with language?
And who can say who is more "capable" than someone else?

You guys need to get out the house more!
post #56 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Well i originally posted the video of t-mac to show what a great musician he is. I stand by my argument that some players play emotionally and some play like they are warming up and playing exercises. Theres only so much repetitive music that one can take, whether its Vai, Satch, Gilbert, Malmsteen or MacApline playing their particular riff/style that they play.

As for "REAL" musicians "understanding" the point, how do you define a real musician?
What's this got to do with language?
And who can say who is more "capable" than someone else?

You guys need to get out the house more!
Look, I'm leaving it here. I really can't be bothered anymore.
post #57 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 11:58 AM

Technical ability and good songwriting aint the same, and there are very (veeery) few people who have both. And on top of that, these people who do have both often go in either direction, shreddin for the sake of it or laying back so much that people tell em they lost it...
post #58 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 01:19 PM

Lightbulb Re: Guys, this is incredible

Too much talking all the time... Grab your guitar and get practising! Try to achieve what the guitarists achieved you are nagging about!

There is no way such a stupid discussion on taste can be won.

I like Tony's music and to quote the dude:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmac

Really keep practicing and keep creating; that's what counts.

Tags
allan holdsworth , backing track , gary moore , jason becker , mark knopfler , marty friedman , michael lee , michael lee firkins , michael schenker , ritchie blackmore , steve vai , tony macalpine , uli jon roth , yngwie malmsteen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode