Halo Theme - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Halo Theme

This may have been discussed a zillion times...but you know on the Halo 2 theme song in the beginning where Steve does that really loooooonng drawn out harmonic? How the crap did he do that? I've been trying to do it myself but you can't make the harmonic from one note ring out that long with the dive bomb. The only thing I can think of would be if he was using the sustainer on Flo for that one. It starts out on the 10th fret of the G string (I think, I don't have my guitar with me) and I assume you have to slide down to the 8th fret in the middle of it to get it to go for that long, but it doesn't sound the same. I've tried it both pinching and with my tongue and it sounds so-so at best. Any of you really ridiculously good guitar players know how to do it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 05:29 PM

Re: Halo Theme

yeah, that can only be the sustainer in FLO. it sounds odd though, kinda' warbled.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Exactly, which is why I say he must have gone down a couple frets while he did it, like the very end part of Lotus Feet, just reversed. But in Lotus Feet he was just playing the fretted note, how the heck did he do it with a harmonic? As soon as you dive bomb or slide it, the harmonic goes away. Yup...sustainer, lol. Can't be anything but that.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 10:35 PM

I've not had a lot of luck getting harmonics to sustain with mine... They tend to fade back into normal tones...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

interesting...I don't have one, I've been thinking about throwing a sustainiac in my RG. You know, that warbled sound may just be that the strings were getting loose or Steve may have flinched in the dive, I no longer think he switched frets just because the sustainer would have been driving the strings the whole way down. Dang it I need to get one of those.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 03:43 AM

g|9--9/12-14--12--11/12--9/11--7/9

if that makes any sense. that's what i hear. he comes up from a dive in the beginning and then puts the sustainer in harmonic mode, which makes that insane, sudden feedback.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 07:15 AM

Actually, off the top of my head try pushing the whammy bar right down and muting all the strings except the G-string which you should hold at the 9th fret allowing the note to ring out, then play

9--9/11--12--12/14--12\11--12\9--11\7--7/9 or something along those lines and whilst the last note on the 9th fret is ringing out, hit a natural harmonic on the high E string at the 5th fret and then dive bomb it!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

still, you'd have the problem of the harmonic dying out. He had to have thrown the sustainer in harmonic mode to get it to ring out all the way down to the bottom. Lol I just beat Halo 2 for the first time a while ago and when the song came on during the credits I though, "hey, I could play that...IF I had a sustainer!!" lol...I'm a nerd.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 09:28 PM

All Steve did was push the whammy bar down and fret a high artificial harmonic like one from the 3rd fret or in the middle of the 2nd. Pushing the bar down makes the note easier to play and as he slowly brings the bar back up he flips on the sustainer and either keeps the note sustaing, no fingers involved and prob raises the pitch of the note by lifting the bar up. This is just off the top of my head I don't exactly remember how that little harmonic part went in the halo song but I know a lot about Steve and he does this little trick a lot.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 04:22 PM

Steve did the Halo theme stuff?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 01:51 AM

Reviews: 4

Yeah, the two Halo soundtrack CDs are pretty cool. If you're a Halo nerd like me, at least.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 04:09 PM

I love Halo

If the new one is only for Xbox360 im going to be VERY upset.

There is NO way im going to buy a Xbox360 right now, especially since im trying to find a Jem to buy.

Tags
guitar players , lotus feet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

who plays top gun theme?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode