Hand positions and memorizing songs. - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Hand positions and memorizing songs.

Hi, Folks.

I got two questions for you all. I figure I'll just throw in on one post.

1) I've been playing for over 15 years now and I was just getting back into lessons with a buddy of mine. He was the first one to ever mention the problem. He claims that I'm raising my fingers to high when I play and I'm using the wrong muscles. Now, how could I fix that? I keep doing what he says to do but I can't seem to break this bad habit.

2) Even though I've been playing for that long I still have trouble memorizing songs. I don't know if my memory isn't good enough but I really want to start a band.

If you have any tips for both I really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 10:57 AM

Re: Hand positions and memorizing songs.

regarding your questions:
1. There is no other way to fix a wrong (sorry for the word) "technique" but just to adjust and work on it. If you have been playing for 15 years then it would really take time to adjust how you do stuff and as always patience. It's reprogramming your memory muscles all over again.

2. Depending on the difficulty, you need to really put hard work in order to memorize songs. Talented people could do it easier, but it doesn't mean we unfortunate crowd can't do the same, we just need to put a lot more time and hard work to do so. In my case, it's easier to memorize songs if you do it by ear and not use notations. By using your ear, you need to listen to the song in sequence over and over, and while doing so you're playing that part over and over as well. IMO, bottom line is that your priorities & heart needs to be in it at what you do, not because you want to play in a band or earn a buck.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 01:58 PM

Re: Hand positions and memorizing songs.

Sound advice ^^^^

As far as memorizing songs, I find it very difficult to do purely through "learning how to play it". I assume you are talking about covers, since you said "learning" and not "writing"? When I need to learn a new set of covers I've never heard before I make a playlist on my iPod and just listen to it over and over and over and let the songs kinda soak into my ear. Depending on how "foreign feeling" the song is to me (which is totally subjective) I may have to do this everyday for a couple of weeks. I don't really dig into picking the song apart playing-wise until I have it pretty firmly planted in my ear first.

But that's just me. I'm 99% self taught and barely read music so I still do things the same way I did as a kid just learning...

Tags
fingers , hand position , lessons , memory

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode