help...good guitarists please read this - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

help...good guitarists please read this

ok the other day i saw a guy play something very heavy metally. it sounded like he was tapping but he was using the pick normally. it had something to do with the first two strings. what is it and how do execute it???? he didnt teach me how to do it
he did teach me something. something really cool. he perfomed a bend like. on the third string. at the seventh fret upwards. then with his right hand's index finger he harmonicked that same string arouynd the 17th fretit sounded like the note went falt or something. ...i hope i explaiend it clearly.
but for now please help on the first question....anyone?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 05:28 PM
EKG

Your first question, I am not quite understanding...

The second part...EVH does a lot of...check out his solo stuff on VH videos. Basically, "bridging" the string at a specified fret then tapping harmonics ;-)
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 05:52 PM
Vendor

He was probably using the open string as a pedal point and alternating it in with what he was fretting, sorta sounds like tapping.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Kolesar
Your first question, I am not quite understanding...

The second part...EVH does a lot of...check out his solo stuff on VH videos. Basically, "bridging" the string at a specified fret then tapping harmonics ;-)

ok i dont know how to describe it...if i knew i owuld just do it on my guitar.
ok, he was picking the strings. he uses the first two strings and it sounds like a lot of pull off and alternating the ring finger from second string to first string. it sounds like tapping and i want to know how to do this...please help...anything that sounds similar will do.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 10:22 PM
Vendor

Oh, 2 different strings. That's another Satchism. It still involves the open strings and now you're just fretting one fret per string. "Sweep" [if you can call it that] your pick across the 2 open strings then in the same tempo hammer on the 2 notes [one at a time of course, not together], repeat
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 10:26 PM
Vendor

You can sweep in either direction and hammer on in the same or opposite direction, plenty of variety here.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 10:27 PM

is he possibly talking about trilling the string with the edge of a pick? Satch does that alot too. Kinda sounds like tapping(although hyper speed).
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

yes it sounds like tapping but he does it with the pick, like normal playing. it should sound like tapping
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 04:59 PM

I was looking at somthing the other day and someon mentioned you could finger tap with a pick instead of the tapping finger. Is that how you mean? ie normall tapping, but instead of tapping the fret with you finger use a pick. Ive tried but cant seem to get this affect right...how is it done correctly?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

no, hes playing normally, like right hand over pikcups, except it sounds like tapping. im going throug all this trouble bc the guy doesnt want to teach me how he does it
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 05:57 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Oh, 2 different strings. That's another Satchism. It still involves the open strings and now you're just fretting one fret per string. "Sweep" [if you can call it that] your pick across the 2 open strings then in the same tempo hammer on the 2 notes [one at a time of course, not together], repeat
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 11:35 AM

I think this is what you mean:

|-----5-----------8---------5-------------------|
|--------5--0--5----5-0-5----5-0-5-etc-------|
|------------------------------------------------|

Use hammer on's and pulloffs on the B string.
Large intervals like this may create the illusion of tapping.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 02:03 PM

I think Rich is explaining something like this...

---0-----5---0------8-------
-0----5---------0------8----
-----------------------------

This could be done alot of ways, not just with double stops. you hammer on from the open string to the fretted notes. Atleast this is what I think Rich is talking about.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 02:19 PM
Vendor

I suck at tabbing, but here goes

-0---7-0---7-0---7-0
--0-5---0-5---0-5---0

That's using an upsweep on the E and B strings and hamerring on the B first then E. Like I said, all kinds of combinations available here.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 02:25 PM
Vendor

How about one where the open string doesn't match a hammer

-0---9-0---9-0---9-0
--0-7---0-7---0-7---0

Tags
crystal planet , heavy metal , john petrucci , sweep picking , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode