Help my right hand picking(fast) - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Question Help my right hand picking(fast)

Im trying to correct my right hand picking style and im palying fast runs like this could anyone mark on these tabs where the upstrokes and downstrokes go, bearing in mind im economy picking.

-----------------------------------------------------------12-10----|
-----------------------------------------------------10-12-------12-|
-----------------------------9-10-12-10-9----9-10-12----------------|
-----9-10-12-10-9----9-10-12--------------12------------------------|
--12--------------12------------------------------------------------|
--------------------------------------------------------------------
or this one
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------14h16p14------14--16--17-
---------------------13h14p13------13--14--16------------16-------------
p13------13--14--16------------16----------------------------------------
-----16-------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Heres also another one decending what strokes up or down remembering economy picking
7h8p7--5---------------------------------------------------------------
---------8-7-5------------------------7-------10-----------------------
---------------8-7-5-4-------------9b---8-12b----11~-------------------
-----------------------7-5-4-------------------------------------------
-----------------------------7-6--x------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

thnks alot everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Re: Help my right hand picking(fast)

Anyone got Anything .......help thanks

Last edited by ashton; 12-06-2005 at 03:47 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 09:06 PM

Re: Help my right hand picking(fast)

...well, if those are the specific runs you want to do, it's up to you which way you want to transit the picking. Rarely do you run into a run which falls into the nice groove of upstroke to the higher string and downstroke to the lower.

If all you want to do is practice, you can find tons of stuff on the web. If you want an opinion on how to do your run, then apply the upstroke to higher string transition. It allows for a purposeful stroke and allows the basic down up down to be used.

When you can't, I always just try both , and then see which feels better. It's a personal thing. Then, you can throw some slides and legato to 'make' the down up down pattern work, but sometimes it's harder to learn and remember that live.

Good luck!
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 10:02 PM

just keep on practising ...... there's no shortcut on this matter
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 11:24 PM

Yes, but practicing right is more important.

First of all this is all based on my experience so this isn't a golden rule to abide by or anything.

Anyway, I don't know how long you've been playing or how comfortable you are with picking. However, I'll say that learn alt. picking before you get to econ. picking. A lot of newer players that learn to play with the pick naturally prefer to play with econ picking, because it's...well...easier because you don't have to go inside-out or vice versa, which is hard to get use to. But most of them can't play very clean and smooth that way and many times play the next note (on a double downstroke) faster than they should. For this reason, learning how to alt. pick well first with consistent tempo, THEN putting some econ picking into your technique would work much better. This is all just my opinion, and has worked well for me.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Ive got alternate picking fine its just usually the descending licks that I find tricking Im not sure on my picking pattern I know its what you feel comfortable but could someone show me what they'd do for those tabs
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 09:02 PM

...well, these licks have, as you've found, odd numbers of notes per string, so you can't just go up down up the whole way and use the "upstroke to a higher string" that seems to make them easier (at least for me).

I would go ahead and just alternate pick the whole thing, and perhaps get rid of some of the hammer ons....or at least, pop in a few to make the pattern work.

But, then you're not playing the notes you wanted to...so perhaps it's best to just figure out what notes you 'really' want to sing out, and make sure you land on those with a downstroke...other than that, these are tricky no matter what.

You might also want to see if you can play them in a different position to see if it's easier that way.

Good luck.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 12:19 PM

i'd just alternate pick the whole thing, starting on a downstroke. you should be really comfortable alternate picking anything so that when you're improvising a line similar to the one you posted, you're not thinking about what down/up stroke you should be on, you just play it! if you think about your right hand too much, you're not thinking about music.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 12:50 PM

I'd like to get to the point where I can transit strings and not think about pick direction...but that often means you don't cross to a higher string in the most efficient manner, especially while improvising....if it did, then you'd be a great player indeed. If I'm learning something, or writing out what I'm doing first then I'll find the best way to do it, with some fun alternates...but in nailing the Yngwie stuff, I get methodical.

Alot of times I find myself going against the theme of upstroke to a higher string, but it almost always sounds better when I use it.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Yeah its mainly the descendiny licks that I have trouble with its the skipping to the next string is it down or up. Maybe I should work at it more but I ve tried and Its difficult moving up a string with and upstroke without hitting the bottom string again is their such thing as economy picking descending-if so how?Thanks..
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashton
Yeah its mainly the descendiny licks that I have trouble with its the skipping to the next string is it down or up. Maybe I should work at it more but I ve tried and Its difficult moving up a string with and upstroke without hitting the bottom string again is their such thing as economy picking descending-if so how?Thanks..

I used to have the same 'problem'...what eventually develops is your hand, fingers kinda 'pickup the pick' so as not to brush the higher string before you upstroke it...kinda hard to explain, but I can assure you that if I managed to get around that with lots of practice, so should you.

I first learned a bastard version of alternate picking (turned out it was more like a sweep to the next string, which is useful but you need to learn alternate first I think) and it took a good couple months to 'relearn'...I forget the term of my original style, there is a name for it....you basically continue the direction from the last string and alternate the pick notes that are on one string...

...as I've been learning lately, all that's required is time in!...and metronome!...and patience!...and a great guitar!...and cool leather pants!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 02:20 PM

Just practice alternate picking up starting with a downstroke, then an upstroke.

That's how i'd do it :S
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashton
if you have trouble with that, you should try the 4 note per string chromatic excercises starting on a upstroke instead. try this idea with anything you normally play. turn it inside out.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 08:15 AM

Here's something for you to work on. This excercise is quite tough, because you have to synchronize your string skipping with this awkward left hand fingering. This should take care of hitting other strings when string skipping

----------4--1----------------5--2-------
------------------------------------------
-------3-------2-----------4-------3-----
-----2-----------3-------3-----------4---
--1----------------4--2----------------5-

etc. Try playing down-up-down-up and then up-down-up-down.

This is from John Petrucci's Rock Discipline instructional video. GET IT!

Last edited by Proview; 12-11-2005 at 03:45 PM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proview
Here's something for you to work on. This excercise is quite tough, because you have to synchronize your string skipping with this awkward left hand fingering. This should take care of hitting other strings when string skipping

----------4--1----------------5--2-------
-------3-------2-----------4-------3-----
-----2-----------3-------3-----------4---
--1----------------4--2----------------5-

etc. Try playing down-up-down-up and then up-down-up-down.
to think that you're not going to credit john petrucci with that excercise( "rock discipline" dvd)

Tags
alternate picking , john petrucci , string skipping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode