Help my tone, technique, style - Page 3 - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 09:01 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 116
Re: Help my tone, technique, style

Quote:
Originally Posted by varador View Post
Eggy: I'm not saying I have a better vibrato than Malmsteen, all I'm saying is that I can recognize a ****ty vibrato that doesn't belong in classical music when I hear one.
OK?
varador is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 09:07 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 570
Re: Help my tone, technique, style

Quote:
Originally Posted by varador View Post
Malmsteen's vibrato is revered because it can only be achieved on a scalloped fretboard
Is that so?

We're talking about the vibrato eg in this clip right:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAO6GjGa7SY

I think the vibrato I use here is quite similar in both frequency and amplitude:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=6114497

But... I'm playing it on a Les Paul!
You know... with those REALLY flat frets. Especially this one, because it's about 12 years old, and has been recrowned, so there's virtually nothing left by now
Don't know where you got the idea about the scalloped frets. Nobody told me, apparently.

Ofcourse needless to say I also love Malmsteen's vibrato.
Scali is offline  
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 09:11 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 116
Re: Help my tone, technique, style

quiksilverdew: my apologies for hijacking this thread, but I really needed to get my point about Malmsteen's vibrato across, it's just one of those small things like red lights and bicycle riders on roads that irks me to no end.

I agree with MattyCakes, try holding your fingers more parallel to the strings... I recall Dave Mustaine admitting that he had the same problem with not doing so, check this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBYlzVN7twM (it's in the Saturday Night Palsy section, I think).

Make sure to maintain the order of one finger - one fret, except for maybe when playing power chords (I use index and pinky, but the one finger - one fret rule would require the index and ring, as power chords are two frets apart). Otherwise, good playing! I especially liked the shredding at the end, it was clean, good stuff!

- your local thread hijacker
varador is offline  
post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 09:15 PM
 
Eggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Cumbria UK
Posts: 1,751
Re: Help my tone, technique, style

Quote:
Originally Posted by varador View Post
If the Japan Philharmonic invited Yngwie over to play, that's great. But let's not forget that Yngwie's biggest mansions were sponsored by his sales of CDs in Japan, making him a bit of a pop star over there, so in agreeing to play with the Japan Philharmonic, he essentially threw the spotlight on both himself and the Philharmonic at the same time. Win/win.
You're nearly getting ready to enter my top 10 all time fave forum posters with that nugget of info ^
LOL you're only a few posts in, we obviously havn't gotten to know each other yet and you're trying to help me brush up on my Malmsteen trivia The only reason that you don't make it into my all time top 10 is this quote from you right here.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by varador View Post
Malmsteen's vibrato is revered because it can only be achieved on a scalloped fretboard.
You see that spoils things a little for me. To realy be one of my all time faves I need to be able to continue a raport with you on a level where I still have a feeling that you just might know what you're talking about. That comment there just tells me that you know nothing about playing the guitar. You're probably a beginer, first year player tops. Malmsteen vibrato has nothing to do with his fretboard. Hell, I can do it on a Les Paul. The difference is I have to think about doing that style, for Malmsteen it just flows.

Ben
Eggy is offline  
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 09:15 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 116
Re: Help my tone, technique, style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scali View Post
Is that so?

We're talking about the vibrato eg in this clip right:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAO6GjGa7SY

I think the vibrato I use here is quite similar in both frequency and amplitude:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=6114497

But... I'm playing it on a Les Paul!
You know... with those REALLY flat frets. Especially this one, because it's about 12 years old, and has been recrowned, so there's virtually nothing left by now
Don't know where you got the idea about the scalloped frets. Nobody told me, apparently.

Ofcourse needless to say I also love Malmsteen's vibrato.
Yep, Malmsteen's vibrato is great... in THAT video. I'll be honest: Malmsteen's vibrato in that video actually surprised me.

But still, try viewing the video I posted, and perhaps you will cringe, too. Or you will at least agree that the vibrato is not the same as that in the video you posted.
varador is offline  
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 09:18 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 116
Talking Re: Help my tone, technique, style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggy View Post
You see that spoils things a little for me. To realy be one of my all time faves I need to be able to continue a raport with you on a level where I still have a feeling that you just might know what you're talking about. That comment there just tells me that you know nothing about playing the guitar. You're probably a beginer, first year player tops. Malmsteen vibrato has nothing to do with his fretboard. Hell, I can do it on a Les Paul. The difference is I have to think about doing that style, for Malmsteen it just flows.

Ben
Damn!! I'll have to try harder to make it to your top 10, I guess

But about your guesses - wrong, wrong, and wrong I understand why people like Malmsteen's vibrato - but suddenly, just because I don't like it, you can't assume I don't know anything about playing guitar. That's just unfair. And it keeps me from making it into your top 10
varador is offline  
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 09:20 PM
 
Eggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Cumbria UK
Posts: 1,751
Re: Help my tone, technique, style

Oh sorry Scali, just read your post after I posted mine.

What Scali said !
Eggy is offline  
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 09:27 PM
 
Eggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Cumbria UK
Posts: 1,751
Re: Help my tone, technique, style

Quote:
Originally Posted by varador View Post
Malmsteen's vibrato is revered because it can only be achieved on a scalloped fretboard.
^^^^

I'm sorry, it realy doesn't matter what you say from here on in mate, that's all I can think about.

LOL!
Eggy is offline  
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 09:30 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cardiff, UK
Posts: 696
Reviews: 3
Re: Help my tone, technique, style

Malmsteen has always said he scallops his fretboards because it gives him better grip on the strings. This aids his vibrato, no doubt about it.

Come on, give the poor guy a break.
Wild_Child is offline  
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 09:31 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 570
Re: Help my tone, technique, style

Well, maybe if we could hear you play, varador... You might be able to convince us that you do know a thing or two about playing guitar and vibrato etc.
Got any songs or videos on the net somewhere?
Scali is offline  
post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 09:34 PM
 
Eggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Cumbria UK
Posts: 1,751
Re: Help my tone, technique, style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post
Come on, give the poor guy a break.
True, at the risk of sounding adult here can I just say sorry varador I'm only yankin' on ya because you're new here. I respect your opinions and let's agree to disagree on this one.

Quiky - Keep playing man it sounds cool !

Ben
Eggy is offline  
post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 09:36 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 116
Re: Help my tone, technique, style

Check out some of my playing at:

http://www.myspace.com/stevevai

D Just kidding, I don't have anything on the nets.

And I don't know where you guys keep quoting me on Malmsteen's vibrato only being achievable on a scalloped fretboard!! Bunch of hax!! Listen to Wild_Child, be nice to the meh!!!
varador is offline  
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 09:41 PM
 
Eggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Cumbria UK
Posts: 1,751
Re: Help my tone, technique, style

^

Do you remember when the phone used to ring on Charlie Brown and that voice just came out as a Wahwhahwhahwhah......

That's all I can get now. The only real clear memory I have is,
Quote:
Originally Posted by varador View Post
Malmsteen's vibrato is revered because it can only be achieved on a scalloped fretboard.










Aw come on, you know I'm only pulling your leg
Eggy is offline  
post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 05:24 AM
 
Brosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Oostzaan, The Netherlands
Posts: 1,806
Re: Help my tone, technique, style

Quote:
Originally Posted by varador View Post

His vibrato at the beginning is just painful to listen to. His whammy-vibrato is somewhat better, but not by much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by varador View Post

As it stands, his vibrato stands out in a not so good way, and quite frankly it sounds like a chicken being choked
Quote:
Originally Posted by varador View Post

NONONONO Malmsteen has an awful vibrato...
Quote:
Originally Posted by varador View Post

Why does having a vibrato like Malmsteen's sound bad? Bending the pitch of the note beyond one semitone makes it sound like a mutated, floppy trill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by varador View Post

Essentially, this means that if Malmsteen is going to be playing classical music, his style should not be proclaimed through the use of a a wailing, banshee vibrato that sounds like a bird being butchered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by varador View Post

I said if he chooses to employ a wider vibrato, then he should slow it down or he'll end up sounding like Malmsteen which would make him sound like

2) a player with a crappy vibrato
Quote:
Originally Posted by varador View Post

Malmsteen's wide vibrato wasn't possible back in the 18th century because they didn't have scalloped fretboard Strats or Marshalls back then, so it shouldn't start now... That's what jazz / rock / blues is for!
Quote:
Originally Posted by varador View Post

Malmsteen's vibrato is revered because it can only be achieved on a scalloped fretboard.
Varador,

Don't confuse YOUR OPINION with FACTS! All of the above is your opinion, with is fine, but they are no facts..

In the opinion of thousands and thousands of guitarists, Yngwie DOES have a great vibrato. I never heard anyone say Yngwie has a bad vibrato.

It would be just a stupid to say Steve Vai has no technique...

Obviously, you don't know jack about this. Perhaps you do know a lot about classical music, but Yngwie is a ROCK GUITARIST! NOT a classical musician.

Please think before you post what is a fact and what is your opinion..

Cheers, Sam
Brosa is offline  
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 06:34 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: dallas
Posts: 754
Re: Help my tone, technique, style

Quote:
Originally Posted by varador View Post
But maybe if you knew something about classical music you'd realize that, as unique as it sounds, it simply does not belong there.
well i received classical theory training and malmsteen's vibrato sounds fine to me in that context. that's just an opinion, much like yours but contrary. just realize that just because you've received classical training does not mean your aesthetic tastes are the standard by which all are judged.
rastachild is offline  
Reply

Tags
alternate picking , bruce dickinson , dave mustaine , electric guitar , frank gambale , heavy metal , iron maiden , les paul , pinch harmonics , playing guitar , scalloped fretboard , scalloped frets , steve vai , van halen , zakk wylde

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone bypass the tone knob? Rotti Pickups & wiring 15 12-22-2006 06:10 PM
Power tube tone vs. SS tone (not preamp) revsharp777 Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 20 06-08-2005 02:13 AM
jem 7v vs js1000 red5 Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 34 12-07-2003 01:04 AM
G3 tone critique!! Jslegacy Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 1 11-11-2003 06:37 PM
Tone, Tone and more tone!!! sebastian Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 2 10-01-2002 12:17 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome