Ibanez JEM Forum banner

How to develop a powerful falsetto voice

14K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  JESTER700 
#1 ·
I want to be able to pull off the power falsetto vocals like LaBrie does. I can't even get close to what he does. If I try to push my normal voice as high as he does, it starts cracking and just doesn't work. My falsetto voice sounds really *** and really quiet. Any ideas?

#3 ·
I couldn't find pliers big enough... :lol:

From the diaphragm or however it's spelled... Rich is right though... it does come straight from the bottom of your balls. From what I understand, Labrie took opera lessons... so he's got that advantage, but if you listen really close, you can hear a lot of "breathy" singing... sounds like he's opening up his lungs and forcing a lot of air out. There's a song on Scenes from a memory (the one where the whole album is pretty much a story)... you can hear his throat kinda rattle. I can't remember the name of the song, but it goes something like, "If I die tomorrow, I'll be alright, because I believe..."
Even with a lot of practice though, I don't think you can force your voice to reach the depths of hell without ripping some vocal cords if it's just not meant to go there.

#4 ·
Yeah the song is called "The spirit carries on" and LaBrie reaches some extreme notes there. I too have been trying to learn how to sing Heavy Metal ala Dickinson, Kotipelto, etc. but I don't have the faintest idea on ow to start. Did these guys take opera singing lessons or pop or what??? Cuz I haven't seen any Heavy Metal singing courses in the Music school I'm atteding (or anywhere for that matter).

BTW: what do you mean by falsetto? Forgive my ignorance please. :oops:

#5 ·
I know bruce dickinson was DEFINATELY trained in opera singing. Believe his mom or dad or something was an opera singer too.

If you really want to learn falsetto, I mean SERIOUSLY want to learn, I'd highly suggest taking some vocal lessons.
Speak to a potential instructor about what you want, to make sure you'll be learning that :lol: , and I'm sure things will fall into place very quickly. Probably a lot quicker than taking advice on singing on a forum! :)

#8 ·
I think labrie is a great singer, but I don't like his voice that much. I love it at some points though. Dream Theater is an amazing band. There is so much going on in their music and it all goes together great. They are definatly one of my favorite bands now. I've listened to them before, but wasn't amazed. I listened again and it was amazing. I've bought 3 albums in the past 3 weeks, and I don't usually spend money to buy them. Me and my friend listened to glass prison on the way to guitar center and we were seriously freaking out about it. It's amazing. I can't wait to see them in on the 19th.

As for singing, I can't help you there, my voice is horrible. I can't even do the slightest backup vocals in my band. Thats what happens when you've been monotone for the past 2 years....

#9 ·
JEMavenger said:
I want to be able to pull off the power falsetto vocals like LaBrie does. I can't even get close to what he does. If I try to push my normal voice as high as he does, it starts cracking and just doesn't work. My falsetto voice sounds really ***** and really quiet. Any ideas?
Falsetto is the range of notes above where your voice cracks. That division between your "head" and "chest" tones is what you'll have to work on to get total control of your range.

Can you yodel? That's just going between your head and chest tones, up to the falsetto and back. If you hit those notes right, it should vibrate your bones in your face and give you a bit of a headache. You'll have to work in that range a lot before it starts to sound good. It's all a matter of practice, just like playing guitar. And know when to quit and give your voice a rest, because you can blow it out.

Try this link: http://ronniekeel.tripod.com/id27.htm

It talks specifically about what you're asking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.