How to develop a powerful falsetto voice - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

How to develop a powerful falsetto voice

I want to be able to pull off the power falsetto vocals like LaBrie does. I can't even get close to what he does. If I try to push my normal voice as high as he does, it starts cracking and just doesn't work. My falsetto voice sounds really *** and really quiet. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 12:39 AM
Vendor

Testicles & Pliers. When you need a little more just squeze a little harder
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 02:27 AM

I couldn't find pliers big enough...

From the diaphragm or however it's spelled... Rich is right though... it does come straight from the bottom of your balls. From what I understand, Labrie took opera lessons... so he's got that advantage, but if you listen really close, you can hear a lot of "breathy" singing... sounds like he's opening up his lungs and forcing a lot of air out. There's a song on Scenes from a memory (the one where the whole album is pretty much a story)... you can hear his throat kinda rattle. I can't remember the name of the song, but it goes something like, "If I die tomorrow, I'll be alright, because I believe..."
Even with a lot of practice though, I don't think you can force your voice to reach the depths of hell without ripping some vocal cords if it's just not meant to go there.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 08:09 AM

Yeah the song is called "The spirit carries on" and LaBrie reaches some extreme notes there. I too have been trying to learn how to sing Heavy Metal ala Dickinson, Kotipelto, etc. but I don't have the faintest idea on ow to start. Did these guys take opera singing lessons or pop or what??? Cuz I haven't seen any Heavy Metal singing courses in the Music school I'm atteding (or anywhere for that matter).

BTW: what do you mean by falsetto? Forgive my ignorance please.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 09:16 AM

I know bruce dickinson was DEFINATELY trained in opera singing. Believe his mom or dad or something was an opera singer too.

If you really want to learn falsetto, I mean SERIOUSLY want to learn, I'd highly suggest taking some vocal lessons.
Speak to a potential instructor about what you want, to make sure you'll be learning that , and I'm sure things will fall into place very quickly. Probably a lot quicker than taking advice on singing on a forum!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 10:44 AM

The voice is a muscle like any other in your body. THe more you use it, the stronger it gets.
~K
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Well, the vocals I'm really looking to achieve is LaBrie's in Solitary Shell...most notably during the chorus ("When will he be let out of his solitary shell...")
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 12:41 PM

I think labrie is a great singer, but I don't like his voice that much. I love it at some points though. Dream Theater is an amazing band. There is so much going on in their music and it all goes together great. They are definatly one of my favorite bands now. I've listened to them before, but wasn't amazed. I listened again and it was amazing. I've bought 3 albums in the past 3 weeks, and I don't usually spend money to buy them. Me and my friend listened to glass prison on the way to guitar center and we were seriously freaking out about it. It's amazing. I can't wait to see them in on the 19th.

As for singing, I can't help you there, my voice is horrible. I can't even do the slightest backup vocals in my band. Thats what happens when you've been monotone for the past 2 years....
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 02:48 AM

Re: How to develop a powerful falsetto voice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEMavenger
I want to be able to pull off the power falsetto vocals like LaBrie does. I can't even get close to what he does. If I try to push my normal voice as high as he does, it starts cracking and just doesn't work. My falsetto voice sounds really ***** and really quiet. Any ideas?
Falsetto is the range of notes above where your voice cracks. That division between your "head" and "chest" tones is what you'll have to work on to get total control of your range.

Can you yodel? That's just going between your head and chest tones, up to the falsetto and back. If you hit those notes right, it should vibrate your bones in your face and give you a bit of a headache. You'll have to work in that range a lot before it starts to sound good. It's all a matter of practice, just like playing guitar. And know when to quit and give your voice a rest, because you can blow it out.

Try this link: http://ronniekeel.tripod.com/id27.htm

It talks specifically about what you're asking.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe
The voice is a muscle like any other in your body. THe more you use it, the stronger it gets.
~K
Unless you use it incorrectly, in which case you can trash it.

Tags
bruce dickinson , heavy metal , playing guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode