How did you all get over the fear of singing - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

How did you all get over the fear of singing

I'd love to learn how to sing and play at the same time, but I just have a huge fear of even doing chorus along with the lead singer. I mean I can't even open my mouth and take it serious cause I'm convinced I'll sound like complete crap....hell I can't even sing in fron of the wife!!

So how did you guyz get over your fear?? I guess it's just a confidence issue for me. Thx in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 08:47 AM

Re: How did you all get over the fear of singing

If you are genuinely seeking your true voice then I implore you to read Patsy Rodenburg's book "The Right to Speak" and DO THE EXERCISES contained therein. Also watch her video "A Voice of your Own". Then find a facilitator who utilises her techniques and flows with her philosophy.

Patsy is an extremely gifted and talented voiceworker who had worked with thousands of singers, actors, artists, some extremely famous; others not yet. Her work is groundbreaking and powerful. This is not a dress rehearsal - this is life. Get on with it and speak from your balls/heart.

https://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/?lid=3559
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 08:53 AM

Bob Dylan is loved my millions and made a good living. You need anything else? ;-)
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 09:27 AM

i used to sing in a band back in high school, but only because we had everything but a singer and no-one else was willing to try.

i overcame my fear of singing by wearing butt-less spandex outfits, performing questionable high-kicking karate routines, and playing suggestively with an oversized microphone.

no, wait... that's david lee roth.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

*LMAO* thx Damo I needed that!!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 06:39 PM

Reviews: 120

The first gig I sung lead at was interstate so no one knew me. It went well so I was right to go back home and perform in front of people I would see all the time!

One month before I did that I would never have thought I would do it, I sung backing vocals in my previous band, but mostly hid in the background. All of a sudden that band broke up and myself and one of the other members started another band. We found a bass player, I wrote some songs and then realised I was the only one in a position to sing. I just did it and it went well.

Just do it, plus all the girls notice you when you sing!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 09:23 PM

Heh,
I live in Japan a country where people do karaoke for 5 hours at a time sober..
you constantly have to sing in front of friends and co workers who see u everyday and are quite capable of making your life a misery if you suck as much as i do!
Still i think its compulsory and after 1 year out here i have little problem singing infront of anyone despite the fact that i make an a** of myself everytime!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 10:10 PM

haha I live in Taiwan and kareoke's popular here as well so I know what you're saying. :P
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 11:18 PM
ZJH

Hmmm, when I was say, 4 or 5-years-old, I used to sing along to little Chinese children's songs on tape (quite funny watching the old video tapes my mom took of me, lol). Then when my parents threw me into Chinese school on Saturday mornings, sponsored by the Stockton Chinese Baptist Church, they also signed me up for the choir. Hell, back then, I probably sang alto. lol But anyway, I never really started singing stuff on my own until maybe after I left the Korn/Limp Bizkit phase (thank God), which was maybe a year or two ago. I just started singing along with some Iced Earth stuff, and it was all smooth sailin' from there. Just sing along with songs until you're comfortable with your own voice. That's basically how I did it.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 12:21 AM

I think the first time I started singing in front of people was in my back yard after quite a few Keiths Ales (great Canadian brew from Nova Scotia). I had my twelve string out and was playing a few recognizable standards. People were throwing out requests but I found unless you take control of the song and sing it yourself no one else will join in. So after that I decided to learn a few good drinking tunes that I could easly pull off after a few pints. I actually recorded myself performing them to see if my voice sounded ok and I found it was nothing great but certainly not bad either. Certainly no worse than Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Willie Nelson and a host of others who've made a living with a guitar and their voice. Everyones voice is unique but that's what makes you recognizable. The more you practice by yourself and in front of people the better and more confident you'll be.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 02:32 AM

my band helped me by turning off my mic. bastards.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 10:01 AM

$100 SM58
$50 boom mic stand
$30 mic cable
= most expensive pick holder i've ever seen ; )
just do it. the more you sing the more you'll get used to hearing your own voice and get over your fears. if it was easy - everybody would be a singer.
Dylan sang
Hendrix sang but hated his own voice - he had such a unique sound and you could feel his passion.

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 06:18 PM

Reviews: 120

Hendrix had an awesome voice, definitely agree there.

I hate my voice too - especially when I hear it recorded. I have had others say it sounds good though, and if other people like it it can't be that bad!
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 10:36 AM

I'll worry about my "fear" of singing when I get over my complete inability to do so.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 06:26 PM

After rehearsal (?) with my band, when we drive home, the whole bunch just sings out loud to the radio/cd. We don't really care if we miss or hit the tones, is just for fun. But I think that's a very good way to overcome your fear of singing.

Sing to the radio/cd when your alone in you car or something. Nobody is listening so just .. lose yourself :P

That's the best advice I can give you

Tags
acoustic guitar , david lee roth , limp bizkit , neil young , playing guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode