How do recommend learning legato? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

How do recommend learning legato?

I have to confess.... I'm really struggling with learning legato (HOs/POs). I understand the mechanics of it. But how do you go about building speed?

Unfortunately most of the music that I'm interested in is way way above my level of skill at the moment. I realize that. From Joe Satriani to the lead parts in most Megadeth songs, the legato passages just seem overwhelmingly fast.

Any tips on building legato skill would be greatly appreciated. (eg. Any particular exercises you recommend, or suitable "easy" passages to start with and progress up to something more challenging?)

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Re: How do recommend learning legato?

Hmm... too broad?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 06:31 PM

Reviews: 2

hmm ... watch some satch lessons??
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Killer View Post
hmm ... watch some satch lessons??
Which Satch lessons? He has lessons on legato technique?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 06:45 PM

he must have ... he's the master of legato
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Killer View Post
he must have ... he's the master of legato
Well, ok. I was just wondering if you were referring to a specific book or website with a lesson by him.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 06:51 PM

nope never took the time to look for satch lessons, but i gotta practice my legato skills so if i find something i'll let you know.

found this short vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpXV3Y2IhtU
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 06:53 PM

and check this http://bbs.espguitars.com/showthread...=50702&page=97 they post everything related to joe there, lessons included
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 09:38 PM

There is only one real answer to this

Get all f the 7 modes laid out in diagrams , make sure they are 3 notes per string.
learn all 7 mode shapes inside out , and then try sliding from 1 mode position to the other ,
then donot pick atall , set the amp on high gain to rockout , slam your fingers down on each fret of the patterns and use your right hand to palm mute noise.

Do this to a metronome and you will have it down in no time,

those gripmaster hand exercisers are good for legato
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 10:21 PM

Try this idea... It's a very rudimentary way to get started on your own and help you come up with your own ideas once you implement it, get proficient at it and get curious about what you can do to expand it.

Figure out a scale/mode of your choice on one string (low E, A or D will probably feel most comfortable at first) that spans at least one octave. Start with an G major scale beginning at the third fret of the low E string if you want. With your index finger on the root, pick that first note then hammer on the next two ascending notes, pull off those same notes back to the root. Slide your index finger to that second note in your scale withiut picking it and continue. Continue the pattern as far up as you can or feel comfortable with then descend using the same pattern. Keep this up and you'll develop the finger strength needed to articulate those notes without picking them all.

Also, double that same scale on the next higher string so that you're playing six ascending notes picking only the first note of each string. Then descend, slide up to the next scale degree and it all over again up then down the neck.

Make sure you're using a metronome and strive for an even tempo especially when transitioning on a slide to the next position or when changing to a different string.

There are so many ideas to explore, but if you're really just starting out and trying to build speed this will get you started.

I hope it helps.
Good practicing!
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 04:47 PM

Reviews: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredragrammaton View Post
There is only one real answer to this

Get all f the 7 modes laid out in diagrams , make sure they are 3 notes per string.
learn all 7 mode shapes inside out , and then try sliding from 1 mode position to the other ,
Exactly this. You can kill two birds with one stone. Not only are you learning the necessary fretboard patterns for any guitar player, you can also use them as exercises, thats what i do! For a quick warm up, I start with the first pattern of the G major scale on the third fret of the low E, then ascend the scale across the neck in triplets and 16th's. Then I move to the next pattern (A dorian) on the 5th fret of the low and ascend that scale the same way. I do this with all 7 patterns. Then I might spend some time creating runs and ideas connecting the patterns.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 05:09 PM

Good basics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NOjd6BAru
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Great stuff guys. Thank you.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 10:37 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39n7D2BmCkk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQE81MVUmsY

Some relatively long-winded videos, but you can probably pick up a few tips here and there.

Just practice your scales in a way similar to the way you practice alternate picking, except pick less of the notes. The only difference is you have to pay a little more attention to the evenness of the notes, slop/extra noise and of course making sure all the notes sound. You could be sadistic and not pick anything but the first note of ascending strings, but I personally just pick however notes feels natural, whether it is 1 or 0 or 2 if its a slide or 3 if its an extended pattern once every beat or 3 notes or whatever.

Hammer ons are really easy. Pull offs are little harder particularly in the upper registers. The real difficulty comes with combining the two in a phrase or even on the same string, as after you play more than 3 notes on a single string the sound will no doubt lose all it's original force. What makes this silly is that it is even harder to practice it really slow, as then the notes will die out even faster. It's just a thing you have to work on, not really any magical advice to really help out here, other than to make sure you fingers hit/pull off the strings with lots of force BUT NOT pressing stupidly hard on the strings. If you do that you'll tire your hand out instantly and worse yet, you'll bend the string sharp, which is something you really want to avoid.

Practicing without piles of compression/ridiculous amounts of gain beyond a sane man's preference as well as having slighter tighter strings can also help in aiding you practice, even though this all makes legato much harder, it'll make your left hand rock solid compared to if you didn't. Also practice trills like crazy. You can never go wrong with trills. Reworking any old melody line so that it uses more legato works well too, and is a lot harder than you may think.

And I personally find Paul Gilbert vids a lot more helpful than Satch vids that I've found, which I haven't found anything useful in them (apart from that chord warm up excersize that is more or less an easier version of John Petrucci's crazy warm up stretching thing). Not gonna link any right now but they're pretty easy to find. Even if you think of him first for alternate picking he really does tons of legato, and string skipping legato stuff, and its all tons of fun to try out.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 01:27 PM

Lightbulb Re: How do recommend learning legato?

Richie Kotzen Rock Chops.

Tags
hammer-ons , legato , pull-offs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode