how do you approach a solo? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

how do you approach a solo?

ive been playing guitar a while, and am confident at improviseing a solo (less of the shred and more of the molodic). however, i find that i allways approach a solo in one of a limited number of ways.i was wondering how you guys approched a solo? my methods work, but its allways interesting hearing other peoples ideas.
cheers
t
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 07:40 PM

Re: how do you approach a solo?

well, what are some of the methods you use?
i use several. if i have a rhythm going in my head, i'll try to hum a melody. or i'll record and loop a rhythm and just go (in key of course). if i find parts that just stick to me, i'll keep those. but for the most part, i just improvise. but the flaw in that is getting caught i a physical rut. like only using certain patterns. so i try to make up different patterns and them incorporate those while improvising.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 09:38 PM

I try to play the parts I hear in my head, and using scales and intervals to be able to play it. I think phrase by phrase, but seem to play each note by interval - if that makes sense. This is a little melody that's complete made that way - the chords were set, and I played them untill I hear a decent melody. Unusual chords put together makes it easier to avoid the obvious melodies. http://home.no/euphor/Sn%f8%20i%20Mars.mp3
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 09:57 PM

Double post.

Last edited by The Euphor; 12-25-2005 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Double post due to lagging site...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor
I try to play the parts I hear in my head, and using scales and intervals to be able to play it. I think phrase by phrase, but seem to play each note by interval - if that makes sense. This is a little melody that's complete made that way - the chords were set, and I played them untill I hear a decent melody. Unusual chords put together makes it easier to avoid the obvious melodies. http://home.no/euphor/Sn%f8%20i%20Mars.mp3
lmao.. sounds so funny.. like one of those old cartoon intro's
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoleN GuitaR
haha, yeah but i like it. Nice pleaying .
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoleN GuitaR
That's how it goes when Jems are played... I've heard Chet Atkins before, although I have never listened much to his music. But funny cartoon is also good! Thanks! Without stealing the thread, how about a response to the original question?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 12:28 AM

I've only been playing guitar for a little over two years now and I'm by no means a great soloist but I am the lead guitarist of my band and the way that I generally write the solos is 1. I think about what kind of song it is and how I more or less want the solo to sound in relation to the song, 2. I let the rhythm play over and over again while I try to come up with sectional ideas, variations on themes, etc., and 3. I arrange the ideas that I've come up with into a loose solo shape so that the solo will be different each time I play it but it will be similar enough that you will know that it is the same solo each time you hear it.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 08:58 AM

I've always approached playing a solo like a writer approaches writing a book. The structure is -
* Intro
* Build up
* Climax
* Happy ending

Doesn't matter if it's a 4 bar solo or a 5 minute extravaganza, composed or improvised. Maybe I'm dumb or brainwashed but I hear this formula in everything from Tender Surrender, FTLOG, SWTA through to Sultans of Swing.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 09:38 PM

I kind of like the power ballad method. Start out slow and melodic. Build it up a bit. Keep building. Then end in a flurry of notes with the last one being a harmonic then dive bomb with the vocals going 'Ooooooooowhooooooooaaaaaaaaaa whoooooooaaaaaaaaa'
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyblade
I've always approached playing a solo like a writer approaches writing a book. The structure is -
* Intro
* Build up
* Climax
* Happy ending
Tender surrender is a great example of the above :P
You cant forget that licks and phrases you use make you unique, unless of course you stole them :P
If i was you i would sit down and try to make a few licks. Then from one of licks try to extend it into a long run :P
So:
Lick #1
Lick #2
Long run on Lick #1
Lick #3
etc
Maybe go back to the main melody again and try to do something with that, afterall most solos have some basing around the main riff or chorus.
You could also try and steal licks from other styles of music, like metal, or blues.
Like that song u got, (the cartoon one :P) you could chuck in something that isnt based on the style the song is in.
FOr instance i would be doing a solo in a blues backing track, and i might chuck some peddling in there to make it interesting :P
Yeah
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 12:16 AM

oh yeah, thats pretty good impro, much better than me :P
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor
Very nice playing there!

As for the answer, I do it in a similar way - I would get acquainted with the chord changes, and try to hear a melody in them. Then I would just try to stay in key and imply that melody as I am playing, while throwing in some quirky things to make sure the solo doesn't sound too good (chromatics etc...). I try to avoid stock licks (doesn't always work), and put my fingers in unusual places on the neck as much as possible and react to what comes out of it...

Tags
backing track , playing guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode