How do YOU guys play FTLOG solo? - Page 3 - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 06:43 AM

Re: How do YOU guys play FTLOG solo?

still waiting...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 07:51 PM

you get tham punk-assed kids! Thinking they're all good and young when we've been sweating for years just to learn a CGD progression and turnaround! Now thats real music-Busted and Mcfly, not like that 'Mr'.Vai with all his fancy airs and graces.... *grumbles off into incontinence...*
post #33 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 08:10 PM

Andrew you should download this program use to read tabs http://guitar-pro.com/eng/Downloads.php to download the tab go to www.mysongbook.com. Its very helpfull, its helped me in difficult solos
post #34 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 09:36 AM

Talking Re: How do YOU guys play FTLOG solo?

oh i'm only 18 but was rather annoyed though!
post #35 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 07:24 PM
ken

I play it the best way: in the CD player. I get more out of hearing him do it than I ever could concentrating on playing it and experiencing it at the same time.
post #36 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 11:01 PM

I'm not nearly good enough to play this solo.

It will come with time.
post #37 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 04:37 PM

if u want it to sound exactly the same as the cd, learn it note for note against a metronome, listen to what he's playing if he's behind or dead on the beat or slightly infront knowing vai it's going to be pretty damn tight to be honest. learn it a 1/4 of the tempo or even less if thats a struggle and just rack it up 8bpm everytime u play keeping it clean until u can play it perfectly.. u dont get to sound like vai by improvising randomly, u'll sound like you.. depends what ur goal is really.

personally i'd quite like to learn it note for note but why bother? is also another question. theres far more constructive ways to spend your practicing time than learning a cliche solo like FLOG.

just my 2cents.
post #38 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 08:56 AM

Reviews: 34

I'm 30, and I have been playing off and on for 15 years (22 if you count the few times I picked up my brothers guitars).

I go through phases of learning super technical stuff, then learning clapton or rolling stones songs or whatever. I then forget the stuff I was learning previously. I have to say that I don't bother to relearn, as once you've climbed the mountain........

What I found with FTLOG was that it is important to get the hammer-ons, slides and legato bits in the ocrrect places to get the right texture of the song. I think that this is the difference between Vai and some other guitar gods. I think he uses those techniques as part of the composition rather than as a means to an end.
post #39 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmregards
So? *A friend of mine in the Philly area could play Far Beyond the Sun as a 15 year old! *That song perfectly sums up his skills -- great speed and accuracy. *Although he is lacking in other areas. *He's been playing for 3 years.

I on the other hand, have been playing for 5 and im about 2 years behind him in ability...not to mention Im a year older.

For some people it clicks fairly quickly. *For a lot of us, our guitar classics are fairly simple songs...and its fair to say that after learning those songs, we've lost some motivation to play.

Having mastered the songs we've dreamed of playing as little kids can't be good for our musical development.

This is why I blame all my shortcomings in guitar on Kirk Hammet. *
I learned to play Far Beyond The Sun after playing a year and two months. It is not really that hard. The tricky parts are the intense alt. picking. I never really had any problems with sweep picking. I just told my self that I'm going to pull this off no matter what. I learned it in 2 months. It really boosted my guitar skills, but I don't play Yngwie style on a regular basis. I'm in to more melodic playing like Vai, Slash and Satriani.

When it comes to playing For The Love Of God and the "solo", it is pretty much a combination of h-ons/p-offs and alt. picking. It is important to use wah on that part to get that killer sound. It really doesn't sound the same without it. When you get through that, the real challange comes around 04:08. I struggled all day to pull that one off Just do your best. It is worth the effort
post #40 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash89
When you get through that, the real challange comes around 04:08. I struggled all day to pull that one off Just do your best. It is worth the effort
Ah yes, that part. That took me forever, too, since that's how I learned to sweep pick

As for the part of the solo mentioned in the thread starter, I'd have to agree with most other people that it's useful to learn it note-for-note to better understand Vai's playing, but when you're playing it for fun you should improvise to make it sound like yourself.
post #41 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 06:23 PM

you sure you mean u can play house of the rising sun not far beyond???

post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 10:58 PM

Reviews: 1

Being able to play FLOTG is easy. It's a technical exercise. It's not different than being able to run through an obstacle course as fast as an Olympic athlete. Please don't misunderstand me. Being able to do is an achievement that you can be proud but at some point, being able to do that is meaningless. I've heard plenty of technically amazing players in my lifetime but a lot of them had as much soul as a donut hole.

Conversely, developing the talent and skill to actually write it a tune as amazing as FTLOG of God, now that is truely unique.
post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 12:21 AM

I just turned 15 and have been playing for 4 years and I can play tender surrender just about perfect and im working on some buckethead and cliffs of dover. I only wish i started listening to vai and the gang(satch, johnson,bucket,gilbert, etc.) earlier, i only started getting into them last november. Before i was playing van halen and classic rock. I played hot for teacher in 7th grade for a show though. Oh well it will all come in time.
post #44 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 02:58 PM

No, my penis is bigger than ALL of yours!

Seriously you guys it's not a competition of who can play the hardest thing in the quickest ammount of time. That shows musical immaturity IMHO.

Being able to play FTLOG is not easy. 99% of guitarists will never get anywere close. Do not get sucked into Jemsite world were most people are taleneted guitarists.

Learn blues/jazz/rock/classical. Enjoy an exploration of as many styles as you can. Develop your own sound and feel, and learn to express yourself. Don't sit with a metronome 5 hours/day when your 13 learning to shred!
post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 04:11 PM

Reviews: 1

Rgt_Lover, I agree with everything you say except that to some people, it is a competition. This is unfortunate but true.

Also, I should clarify but what I meant when I said "It's easy to play FTLOG". To me, learning someone elses material that has been transcribed note-for-note is easy compared to writing your own original material that's just as good. If you can do that, then I would consider you talented. If you just learn someone else's tune note-for-note, then I would consider you a person who has a lot of time and patience. That's it and that's why I'm not impressed by people that can do that anymore (and I used to be one of the people I'm referring to).

I agree with you that too many people get caught up in learning difficult tunes to define some metric for their musicianship. I don't even both learning whole songs any more. I have neither the time nor the patience for it. I do however use tab to pick out and learn licks from other players that I find cool. I do this so I can understand how they do what they do and incorporate it into my style. I've been spending the past week just playing along with blues tunes to work on my phrasing.

Tags
alternate picking , chord progression , eric clapton , kirk hammet , playing guitar , steve vai , sweep picking , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in