Ibanez JEM Forum banner

How do you hold the pick?

7K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  Divine 
#1 ·
I know this might seem like a stupid question, but I think it's a subject that generally goes overlooked. Do you pick straight on, or do you tilt the pick? I find myself tilting the pick a lot for fast runs, but I tilt it so that the edge that faces the neck tilts towards me. Every time I watch some of the fastest alternate pickers play, they tilt the pick in the opposite direction. Is it better to tilt it so that the pick rests on the side of the index finger and the edge that faces the neck tilts away from you? Every time I try to pick like this, I feel like I have no control and I can't feel any of the attack. This might just be from picking the wrong way the whole time. However, I do feel like I have more power, which is why I'm wondering if it would be better if I start picking like this.

What would you guys suggest?

#2 ·
When I started back playing again I practiced with a Stylus Pick and what worked for me was the tip between 6 and 7 o'clock.

I would suppose as long as only the tip hits the string without digging in speed would come with practice. Which ever way is most comfortable to you and allows you to pick the string without the pick diggin in is best for you.

#5 ·
Much more common to tilt the other way but no point changing if it gets you the results you want. Watching Jimi Hendrix & George Lynch videos, it looks like you're in good company anyway :)

However I did change from your way to the opposite tilt after playing a year or two as it gave me more attack and control on heavy rhythm playing. YMMV.

I think it's more important to decide how much of the edgy/sometimes scratchy sound you want from playing tilted against the cleaner precise sound of picking flat. I'm still experimenting with both. I find the wrist angle of picking flat more difficult to work with than picking at an angle, but if I persevere it might be worth the extra complications.

Whichever holding style you use, a great way to improve it is metronome practice through headphones.

#6 ·
Paul Gilbert used to hold the pick like you do now. After 7-8 years of playing he changed so that the side of the pick facing the neck would point downwards. He did this because his "old" manner of holding the pick hurt his thumb.

Marty Friedman has the same technique as the one you do - except, unlike Paul Gilbert, he still uses it, and has a curious picking technique favoring upstrokes.

As long as it doesn't hurt, then just use what works for you. You're probably right about holding the pick PG style having more power (thanks to gravity), though.

#7 ·
Okay, so I've begun to hold the pick the "right" way, and I can already tell that it's the better way to pick. It's much easier to hold a tight grip and seems easier on the wrist. Even though it was a tad uncomfortable at first, I've since gotten used to it and am actually getting pretty good at picking this way (with the help of a metronome and 50 hours of playing time due to the flu :)).

#8 ·
Really, what works best for you is all that counts and the angle you hold the pick changes constantly depending on what you are doing;) I've always held the pick G.L. style which is supposed to be the wrong way. I caught a lot of slack from Jimmy S, Phil H and Jamie H when I took classes over in England for this fact. I tried what is supposed to be the "RIGHT" way and it didn't work for me at all and instead felt very awkward and cumbersom so I switched back to what comes more natural for me!! I've come to the conclusion that there really is no "right" or "wrong" way to hold the plectrum;)

Don't think! Just react:)

~ROCK~

BTW - I anchor as well:D

#13 ·
"so that the side of the pick facing the neck would point downwards"

I saw this in 2 guitar lesson video's, but I really have to force myself into that. It feels unnatural, which may be trivial after playing the other way for 10 years hehe.

But I've wondered if using "a wrong" way of holding the pick might influence your playing in a bad way, slow you down or set lower limits etc.

#15 ·
I've allways held the pic like I'm pinching it and it hits the strings at about a 30 degree angle. The tip of my finger pionts directly at the pick and so does my thumb. If you make an "OK" sigh with you hand and stick a pick in there that's how I hold it. For some reason this works for me. I have shifted somewhat to a taditional grip over the years especially because I hold the Les Paul fairly low. The tip of the pic points straight at the strings but the pic scratches across them slightly at about 30 degreeslike I said.

#16 ·
thumb and forefinger, at about a 20-30 degree angle to the strings, a lot like paul gilbert describes in his video. i've always done it that way, as long as i can remember using a pick.

i might also add, i've gone from right hand anchoring to right hand floating (almost exactly like paul gilbert's picking technique) and it's SO much better!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.