How do you people play with your straps so damned low? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

How do you people play with your straps so damned low?

I suck if I don't wear my strap like a bow tie. How do people like Vai and Satch wear their guitars anywhere below their chin and play like they do? I can't play right unless my thumb's behind the neck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 09:34 PM

On the button!! I am with you all the way!!!!
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 10:58 PM

I can't play comfortable unless my straps long enough that I can rest my elbow on top of my guitar @ a right-angle. *I heard that suggested somewhere and tried it and I find it the best "all-around" position. *Of course, lower is better for rhythm playing (and image) but I find this to be good. *And (I think) Vai and Satriani both have their guitars slightly lower than this.
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 12:30 AM

I use the strap in a way that if i stand up, the guitar is in the same position as sitting down. This way, you can practice sitting down and actually be able to play standing.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 01:15 AM

Yeah, I must agree, it does take a little bit to adapt (especially legato technique) to playing with a lowered strap height. As twohands mentioned, it definitely looks a lot better.

I think I play at about the 'right-angle' height. For me, if it's any noticeable amount lower, it's unplayable; any higher and the "image" factor disappears fast. :laugh: You can get away with it if you're not the star of the show (e.g., Eric Caudieux on the LISF DVD) but for someone like Joe Satriani, or Steve Vai, playing 'low' is a must.

It's just a matter of getting accustomed to the guitar being a little lower. Although I do have one tip: if you practice sitting down and then play/gig standing up, naturally it's going to be harder. I never paid attention to it, but through all the time I've been developing my chops, I've always played/practiced standing up. It gives me a more authentic "stage" feel. LOL *Maybe if you practice with the strap lower when there's no audience, it'll feel more natural when there is.

I can't stand straps that are too high. It doesn't look "cool" and actually hinders my playing. It's like the guitar is right in my face!

-Justin
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 01:26 AM

hey, bro, not to be a moog or anything, but what does looking "cool" have to do with playing???

as far getting accustomed to playing it low...
I dont get it. Physiologically, transforming from high to low means that the muscles and dextrerity and tendon motion is not in its "normal" place, Therefore, to alter a position your are comfertable with will only hinder your playing.. I have tried this and realized that my playing and physical body can not adapt to it. Its like trying to reach an unreachable object, youre right there but cant grab it...The wrist can not function properly...

Anyone else know what i'm talkin about??
No matter.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Quote: from vwall on 1:26 am on Aug. 28, 2001
hey, bro, not to be a moog or anything, but what does looking "cool" have to do with playing???
Nothing, but it doesn't hurt.

Don't worry, I'm not one of those all-show no-go players...

-Justin

(Edit for clarity)

(Edited by sixstringphoenix at 1:39 am on Aug. 28, 2001)
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 01:40 AM

I can wear my Les Paul much lower than my Jem or Strat. Go figure. My LP isn't Jimmy Page low but it's noticeably lower than my Jem or Strat. I'm sure there's some sort of guitar dimension to guitar weight to calorie consumption to strap width equation I could use to determine exactly why this phenomenon exists but I have a hard enough time balancing my check book. As far as looking cool, I saw Joe Perry sit in with a band in Austin once and he couldn't lower the strap so he played a Gibson 335 up around his chest and he was still cooler than the other side of the pillow. I guess you could get used to playing with your guitar around your knees if you have to but I think the most important thing is to be consistant. There's no good reason to play tricks on your hand and finger muscles.

Looking somewhat cool at times,

Kent
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 01:47 AM

Quote:
As far as looking cool, I saw Joe Perry sit in with a band in Austin once and he couldn't lower the strap so he played a Gibson 335 up around his chest and he was still cooler than the other side of the pillow.
Yeah, I re-read my posts and it kinda sounds like I didn't think one could look cool with a high strap. Sorry, I honestly didn't mean to come off like an image freak.

-Justin
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 01:49 AM

Oddly enough I am more comfortable with my guitar just barely above my hips, and can play equally as well standing or sitting, and the longer the strap, the less the chance of hitting yourself in the head when you do the big, swing it around your neck ala Vai anyway!! LOL
but it's all what you're used to, that's all.
Jeremy
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Quote: from caprile on 12:30 am on Aug. 28, 2001
I use the strap in a way that if i stand up, the guitar is in the same position as sitting down. This way, you can practice sitting down and actually be able to play standing.
Caprile's on the money here, as is Kent. Differnt guitars want to be different places, it also depends what style you play.

If you are a heavy rhythm like James Hetfield a low guitar is better, IMHO as you can get more 'feel' and power into the instrument at that level

...... however lead players need better access to the entire neck (not just the open string area of the neck) - which brings the guitar strap up higher.

also jazz players use a lot of 'difficult' chords that require some monstourous finger streches, this requires a differnt position to power chords and bar chords.

In general 'rhythm' players seem to have the guitar lower than 'lead' players.

Both look cool
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Nothing, but it doesn't hurt
That's not true, it can hurt. Depending on how you hold the guitar while playing low you could get carpal tunnel syndrome. I always play with my thumb behind the neck and when I play with my strap low it bends my wrist at a weird angle. If I don't play with my guitar really high my wrist starts hurting after about 5 min.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 02:48 AM

Ok, everyone, you can ignore my posts in this thread.

I'm really :yawn: and about to go to bed, that would likely explain why everything I've said here has been (rightly) countered/questioned so far.

Once I get some rest I'll be back to normal, I think. :laugh:

Sorry for sounding like an idiot, and good night,
-Justin
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 09:16 AM

All of my teachers has told me to wear it the same height practicing or playing on stage. And, everybody have their own best height. But playing down by the knees as some punk-rockers do, will block out many tecnical possibilities.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 11:33 AM

I always practise standing up, so I don't have to worry about inconsistency. *As for image, it's not very important. *But I've noticed something, take a close look at nu-metal guitarists (Korn and Limp Bizkit especially). *They all have their guitar at a reasonable height, not down by their knees. *Do you think this may mean that mainstream guitarists are finally thinking about technique? *Unlike punk bands. *I've seen clips of Wes Borland playing Metallica stuff, Munky of Korn was a big Steve Vai fan (and that's why they use the 7-strings), and even Mark Tremonti of Creed can shred like crazy, but he just gets more enjoyment out of writing songs. *Basically what I'm getting at is, play what you want to play and position your guitar where it's most comfortable for you. *

Tags
equipped guitar , jimmy page , joe perry , joe satriani , legato technique , les paul , limp bizkit , mark tremonti , steve vai , strap button , strap buttons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode