how fast can you translate? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

how fast can you translate?

I've seen some people on the internet, and also PG, play extremely fast with translation picking, and it is driving me a bit nuts, because my wrist is less than half as fast.
In case someone doesn't know what translation picking is, lay your hand flat on a table, now move it side to side, from the wrist, like a waving motion, or like you're doing a karate chop, but only moving your wrist.
For me, when I do this motion, I can only go back and forth about three times a second, compared to rotating my wrist, or doing a knocking motion, or moving my elbow, I can move back and forth about ten times a second.

What I'm wondering is, are some wrists just superior to others? Can anyone hear shift their wrist from side to side very fast?

I've always been able to rotate my wrist, or make a knocking motion very fast very easily, but moving my wrist side to side quickly is just impossible. It doesn't even seem like it has anything to do with guitar, more like some people being born with extra muscles or something lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 12:25 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: how fast can you translate?

It takes a lot of time to be that fast, and not only fast but accurate. Just practice.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 02:25 AM

it's got nothing to do really with how fast you can wave your wrist around.

most people call it alternate picking by the way.

it just takes a ****load of practice with a metronome. the small muscles and tendons in your arm and wrist take time to strengthen.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebake View Post
it's got nothing to do really with how fast you can wave your wrist around.

most people call it alternate picking by the way.

it just takes a ****load of practice with a metronome. the small muscles and tendons in your arm and wrist take time to strengthen.
I'm not talking about alternate picking! Haha. well I am but I'm talking about a particular wrist movement. I can play pretty fast if I use other muscles, rotation, oscillation, finger, or elbow - but everyone can play fast with these muscles. A complete beginner can pick up a pick a tremolo pretty fast (inconsistently, of course) if they turn their wrist or use their elbow, so why would translatory motion be different? Like I said, having nothing to do with guitar, I can move any other muscle group fast, but translation is slow.

What I'm curious about is, can anyone here move their hand side to side, like you're waving, anywhere near as fast as you can make a knocking motion?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 07:07 PM

I can move my wrist side to side fairly quick on a desk, but for me this flat position doesn't translate to guitar if I want to palm mute efficiently. On guitar I need a more angled position where the back of my palm is closer to the guitar body muting the strings at the bridge.

My fast picking is moving towards something like Chris Brooks' style (although not even remotely as fast of course), where you kind of use movements within your hand rather than exclusively at the wrist. I guess you could say it uses your finger movement more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM4PctGyKeo
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 10:45 AM

Reviews: 1

Learning to play fast is not as difficult as it is long and boring. It's all about repetition and perseverence. Speed is alot easier to achieve than a good sense of rhythm and melody. (And if you find yourself having fun practicing with your metronome, your probably doing it wrong)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 01:56 PM
Banned

one of the first things i was taught on guitar was play through the wrist.i used to be in a band and the other guitarist used to pick only moving his fingers that were holding his pick,man it sounded hideous.every time he played a solo all you could hear was this herendous scratching noise,he was a xxxhole so i didnt pull him about it lol.i can alternate pick and play through the wrist but im still not that fast,i dont know maybe im just not that talented ????
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 01:07 PM

practice, practice...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 01:27 PM

Reviews: 2

It doesn't matter all that much if you use your whole arm like Petrucci or Cooley or you barely move any part of your arm other than your thumb and index finger like Malmsteen. It seems to work well either way as long as you practice. Personally try to make as little forearm movement as possible because it's marginally more efficient and I think it looks cool.

And that guy probably wasn't making big enough movements to make the pick leave the string. Either that or he dimed out the presence and was stupid in EQing his gear.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 04:59 AM

Reviews: 1

The reason alot of people say to pick from the wrist is more to do with picking stamina than speed. It can be more difficult to sustain a rapid picking sequence using your thumb and finger. But it really does come down to practice in the end regardless.

Tags
paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode