How good of guitarists are you jemsiters? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 96 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

How good of guitarists are you jemsiters?

I am sitting here playing some ynvwie malmsteen and petrucci licks(im 15!) and I was just wondering how good all of you jemsiters are? How much time to you practice, and do you use a metranome? BE HONEST!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 96 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 10:39 PM

i suck, i'm so bad at playing guitar.
post #3 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 12:04 AM

Horrible. I've been playing on and off for 10 years, but I have never really gone too far with it. In the past year I've progressively become more serious, and I'm getting better, just got a way to go.
post #4 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 12:06 AM

Re: How good of guitarists are you jemsiters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Boogie
I am sitting here playing some ynvwie malmsteen and petrucci licks(im 15!) and I was just wondering how good all of you jemsiters are? How much time to you practice, and do you use a metranome? BE HONEST!!!
i suck but it sounds like your **** doesn't stink.

colin
post #5 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 12:13 AM

I guess I'm not bad for someone who's been playing only 3.5 years.
post #6 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 12:37 AM

I suck.

No, really. I do.
post #7 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 01:10 AM

Ten years playing and I do suck!

(I don't mesaure playing skill in notes per click )
post #8 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 01:23 AM

For a guy whose been playing for 17 years, I should be a lot better than I am
post #9 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 01:47 AM

Quote:

Why do people that are young feel they need to share that? Mcrocklin was kickin ass at 11 years old, many classical players are intensely amazing at under 10. Wingie Manglebeen isn't exactly what I consider technically challenging music, it's just fast

Being honest, I can play anything I want, some stuff takes no effort, harder stuff takes alot of practice, but the bottom line is, if I WANT to learn it badly enough, I will. I could play really fast when I was 14, didn't mean I was good, I was fast, whoopie!!!! Now, I can sit down and play anything I want IF I practice enough, I can't sit down and sight read a Vai piece and play in real time, but if I take the time I'll learn it. I don't play many styles, but I'm sure if I truly wanted to, I could learn them, all it would take is PRACTICE.

It sounds like you practice guitar a fair bit, perhaps practicing a little humility would be a good step now

ps. This is not meant to be offensive, it is simply a statement based on you coming to a website with a TON of talent and guitar players that kick major ass (though most of them are going to come on this thread to say they suck) and here, age really doesn't count for much, anyone remember that Josh kid? (can't remember the name or his site) but he'd been 15 for a few years as I recall. Skill is skill, I don't care if you're 15 for 50. You practice enough, you'll be good

Peace
post #10 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 02:22 AM

i suck big time.
post #11 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 02:39 AM

i used to worry about how good my chops were, but i have long since forgotten that feeling. i took (and still kinda am taking) about a year off from the more intense practicing that i used to do in order to just be creative and write my own music (which subsequently requires no skill). this "hiatus" was the best thing that's happened to my playing, because i personally really enjoy what i write and that's all that matters to me.
post #12 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 02:57 AM

I have absolutely no musicality
post #13 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 03:57 AM

Quote:

Suuure you are!
post #14 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 04:13 AM

post #15 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 04:48 AM
dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester1234
For a guy whose been playing for 17 years, I should be a lot better than I am
none more better

I on the other hand suck in a major way and unlike some of the previous poster I'm not saying that out of humility - I really do suck.

ilia

Tags
chris brooks , death metal , guitar players , guitar playing , joe satriani , john petrucci , larry carlton , music store , playing guitar , ricky garcia , satch boogie , steve lukather , steve vai , tony macalpine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode