HOW I KNOW THE KEY OF A SONG ? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2003, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

HOW I KNOW THE KEY OF A SONG ?

hail, how do I know the key of a song ? the chord progression ? the first chord , thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2003, 09:39 PM

I usually start playing around until I find a few chords, then from those, determine the key. When in doubt, look for the I-IV-V.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2003, 09:51 PM

You can determine the key of a song if all of the chords in the progression are based around a certain scale, for example the chords:

D Em F#m G A F A D;

are in the key of Dmaj.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vai the god of Sound
You can determine the key of a song if all of the chords in the progression are based around a certain scale, for example the chords:

D Em F#m G A F A D;

are in the key of Dmaj.
But couldnt those chords also indicate some other mode than D ionian?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 04:06 PM

Yes, but it would depend on the chord progression.

Mode is not the same thing as key signature.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 03:35 AM

if the chord progression contained those chords but there were alot of Emin's i would assume that i was the E Dorian mode

btw i think one of those chords should be minor
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 04:24 AM

So you need to determin the 'Root' chord before deciding the mode then really?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 10:59 AM

Well, if your ear is good enough, the chord that you can stum [that sounds fit] throughout the entire progression, is most likely the key that you're in.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 03:03 PM

From playing and listening to music for a long time, when listening to a piece. If I pick out a note on the guitar that fits, and start playing around with it, after a minute or so I can usually feel what key I am in, so say playing the note, moving up a semi tone, work? no k try two, say three maybe, then just keep playing around and you can just tell what the root note (and key) is.
Or you can train for years like my AS music teacher who can usually play (on the piano) most things you can throw at him, just by listening to the track.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 07:20 PM

It really is amazing how some people can train their ears so well. My grandmother (god bless 'er!) can sit at the piano and play just about anything that sounds instantly! Like music on a TV ad or something - she can just do it straight after listening to it once.

I know this post isn't so relevant but I thought I'd let you all know about my amazing gran!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 02:48 PM

Yea perfect pitch like that is emmence. At my college we were recording deep purple - black night, and asked this piano tuner if he would play the organ part. He said ok, listened to the track once and just played it. He had never heard of deep purple, can u believe it?

He is blind so he says he works on his ears a lot but still, it was very impressive to watch!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 03:11 PM

blind organ player. That's gotta be amazing
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 11:02 PM

Perfect pitch is not being able to play something after one listen. That's just amazing ears. If someone has perfect pitch, you can look at them and say, "Give me a Bb," and they open their mouth and out pours a Bb. It's almost freaky. I knew a guy who could do this when I was in University Chorus at Clemson. I can usually play the chords of a song after one listen. I can't read a note. But I don't have perfect pitch. I can't hum a G on command. I can get fairly close, though.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 12:28 AM

my guitar teacher taught me that at least nine out of ten times its the same as the last note of the song. i either try to figure it out this way or the last one in the progression (most likely the same as the last note). i usually can find it.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 11:17 AM

thats very true, it usually is. And usually the chord before that will be the V (fifth) of the key. As chord V/5 to I/1 is a perfect cadence, or a musical full stop :P

You can tell when a song doesn't end with a I as it sounds strange.

Tags
chord progression

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode