how to improve my sense of time and rhythm - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

how to improve my sense of time and rhythm

well i know you guys are gonna say 'practice with a metronome!' but i hate it! are there any other ways? can playing with a band improve timing? what about taking drum lessons? will that help?

just for inspiration, can you name some great guitar players who have never used a metronome?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 11:28 AM

Re: how to improve my sense of time and rhythm

um... practice with a metronome... lol

In all seriousness if you don't already feel it, kinda like SRV then you need to learn it. I can feel it but when practicing certain things, say a classical piece for the philharmonic on violin or bass or something else then I will practice with a metronome greatly.

If you watch many instructionals you will notice almost all of them tell you to use a metronome too.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 04:50 PM

The metronome is an invaluable tool for improving your timing, so make sure you put some time in to this.
If you hate playing with the metronome I strongly recommend backing tracks or drum machines.
You can use a backing track like a kind of elaborate metronome. Rather than using the track to practice your soloing, try some 'in the pocket' playing as an accoompaniment to the backing, not the solo line. Simply put, try beiing the 'rhythm guitarist' when playing to a backing track, not the lead guitarist

Playing in a band will help your timing to an extent, so long as the band already has good timing. There are a lot of variables here. Band playing opens up a whole world of problems usually for the first timer.
I remember having trouble with timing, feel etc when I first played in a group - I also remember never using a metronome back then too so that tells you something!

I can't think of any players who never use a metronome - who knows the answer to this question other than the player himself..?

Another great tool is the radio/tv etc - just stick it on and play along to whatever music comes up - lots of different styles to experience so you need to quickly adjust your 'feel' to fit the genre, and the timing bit is all down to you being strict with yourself.

Sure, learning the drums will help with rhythm, but in my opinion learning the drums will only do that - make you better at the drums. You need to specifically address the problems you think you have with your rhythm, timing and feel on THE GUITAR. The idea of learning one instrument to help with the other is IMO an extremely long-winded way round an issue that can be addressed fairly simply.

Get the metronome out, get the radio out etc and play.
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 04:57 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Metronome isn't a myth !
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 07:29 PM

I dont get the whole metronome aversion, but hey: whatever you like

1. Play along with songs you like
2 Always tap your foot on the beat whenever you play.
3. Get guitar pro, get a tab for a song you like and want to play along to. Enable the program to playback the clicks. Or export to midi, import in your favorite DAW software, create some nice beats and sounds from the midi, and let it play the clicks there. This way you will have a great sounding song to play along with, but with the advantage of a click track to keep your rhythm on track.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 03:28 PM

If improving your timing is what you want to accomplish then playing with a Metronome is vital. Incorporate it into your practice time, even if you don't find it fun, it will make you a better player. You can know all the chords and scales in the world and have theory coming outta your a** but if your timing sucks you just sound bad. I wish I had played with a metronome from the day I picked up the guitar.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 04:55 PM

Reviews: 13

Improve your sense of time = metronome!
Just try to see it as a part of your gear, and you'll get used to it.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 08:08 PM

I think we all agree that a metronome is vital.

Like I said before, just try to incorporate playing with one in such a way that it doesn't bother you so much.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 01:51 AM

Years of playing.....
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 07:25 PM

Reviews: 21

What everyone else said...
Playing with a drum machine, the actual song, or backing tracks are excellent!
The best thing you can do, I think, is to put down the guitar and tap things with your hands. Play drums on the counter top or the steering wheel of your car. Get rhythm into your body and it will naturally translate out into the instrument.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 10:54 PM

I despise metronomes too. Something about the damn clicking makes my teeth hurt, I think its psychosomatic..

I got a 15 watt fender g-dec. It's got 50 preset backing tracks and 50 user created tracks. It's awesome. Quite possibly the best $200 I ever spent on equipment, in terms of improving my playing.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 10:50 PM

Reviews: 2

Get guitar pro and make a nice little loop. Just noodle around, maybe starting with quarter notes just to get the beat down (and get some phrasing experience) and just take it from there.

If you practice to a metronome, but don't necessarily try to keep a steady stream of notes but instead just play, you might hopefully start to play 'in tempo'. Just try to lock in the important notes with the clicks.

If you don't like the metronome because of the annoying click, force yourself to use one absolutely every time you play guitar until you get used to it. And I mean using it the ENTIRE time. If you end up not playing guitar for over a month straight, maybe it is a bad idea, but worth the shot!
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 11:59 PM

Reviews: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2tom View Post
Years of playing.....
Yep. Thats about it.

Practice. Practice. Practice...and the metronome helps IMMENSELY because when you drop a beat you know it...especially at speeds...its a necessity if you want any sort of precision to your style.

Secondly, being classically trained and playing in a professional setting (trumpet, BSO) for 7 years on top of guitar, some of the best advice I was ever given and pass along to my students now is that you need to be able to sing your parts that you are trying to play. Note for note. This makes your brain process it properly and go over the lick/riff/progression and most importantly the TONES. Even if you think you suck as a singer, sing what you are trying to play out loud, articulation and all. You might be surprised how much that will help.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicProvocateur View Post
some of the best advice I was ever given and pass along to my students now is that you need to be able to sing your parts that you are trying to play.
Thats how my dad tought me, at first I was thinking what kind of bull is this I want to play the guitar and rock away but I later learn that its the best way to learn music, I eventually started basics back and eventually went for a longer road, not a different road but longer.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 02:59 PM

I know its important to use a metronome but the problem that I am facing is how to figure out how the licks/rhythm that I played is being subdivided. Finally, can someone recommend me any good books on rhythm guitar?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode