How long did it take for you guys to learn how to play fast? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

How long did it take for you guys to learn how to play fast?

Hello,

Iīm pretty new here, signed up yesterday.

Iīve played guitar for about 16 years, (mostly the first three of them) then on and off until about a year ago, when I decided to get serious and learn how to shred once and for all. I watched a video with Kotzen "Rock Chops" and got some more REH videos with Gilbert and so on and decided to practice (doing dull exercises for the right and left hand) for at least one hour every day. That was september last year. Iīve been fairly consistent and disciplined about doing my exercises for an hour everyday and I think Iīve made some progress but Iīm far from being even remotely satisfied.

I wonder how long it took for you guys before you could play really fast and accurately, and feeling free to improvise and playing fast (not just runs) at any given moment?

What exercises do you guys think are most effective?

Regards, Anders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 06:51 AM

Re: How long did it take for you guys to learn how to play f

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersPGM
I wonder how long it took for you guys before you could play really fast and accurately, and feeling free to improvise and playing fast (not just runs) at any given moment?
Probably a couple of years, but it still takes constant work to be clean.
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

thanks.

how did you develop your chops?
any particular exercises?
do you have any methods for maintaining your chops?
post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 09:53 AM

Reviews: 1
There are some people who will moan about this, but Petrucci's Rock Discipline vid helped me a LOT with respect to my sweeping ability and articulation. Its all about repetivness unfortunately, over and over and over until you can do it in your sleep.... and then do it some more.

Work with a metronome and start off slowly and build, just make sure that when you advance the tempo, that you're playing it as cleanly and with as much tone and feel as you are when slowly.

Bamm
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

yeah petrucciīs video was among the first ones I got.
itīs pretty extensive.

others Iīve found useful besides Paul Gilbertīs and Kotzenīs, are Vinnie Mooreīs "Advanced Lead Guitar Techniques" and "Speed Accuracy And Articulation". I have several others by different people that are ok.
Videos are nice to watch from time to time to get some inspiration.
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 10:24 AM

Just by starting slowly and playing over and over and over and over again until you can build up speed without even thinking.

When I learnt to sweep pick I sort of went into a trance and then suddenly snapped out of it and realised I was absolutely burning!! Then when I tried to do it again I couldn't I guess it's the intense concentration!

The funny thing is though, I don't remember a time when I couldn't move my fingers fast - it's more a case of getting the articulation and phrasing right. And playing it clean, string noise is my biggest enemy
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewTodd
When I learnt to sweep pick I sort of went into a trance and then suddenly snapped out of it and realised I was absolutely burning!!
yep thatīs the stuff!

I well remember the first piece I learned to play fast (as fast as I could play then). I had played it slowly over and over again and sat watching TV and suddenly decided to play it as fast as I could. It all happened pretty automatically almost unconciously. That was a nice feeling. Those moments make it worthwhile and it makes you wanna push it further.
I like to practice unplugged alot since I find if I can play the piece Iīm trying to learn unplugged and it sounds well that way, it oughtta be pretty nice with amplification.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewTodd
string noise is my biggest enemy
yeah same here, i know exactly what you mean. It is my greatest problem when doing fast legato things on the thicker strings.
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 09:07 PM

I never learned...
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 07:58 AM

6 years and counting, still not able to.
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 08:39 AM

The best advice I can give you to play fast, is to get quite a slow tempo (60-80) and play first 1 note per beat, then 2, then 3, then 4, then 6, then alternating at your own will. Learn how each of these sounds and make sure you play focusing on two main things: articulate sound and little effort. 6 notes per beat can already be challenging at 80 notes per beat so remember to keep it at a speed where you can play comfortably without feeling any ache in your hands. You can apply this concept to any technique: tapping, alt. picking, legato, sweeps, you name it. You will notice your metronomic speed will increase slowly but this is the best method I have found in my short guitarist life and it's working wonders for me. The main things you need to be a fast player are: great sense of rythim and the division of pulses, articulate notes and COMPLETELY tension-free hands.

THis method works also on a short- term basis. I find that if I play to a metronome for ten minutes slowly and focusing on these 2 things I can immediately play A LOT faster than before doing that little warm-up.

Hope it helps.
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 11:10 AM

Re: How long did it take for you guys to learn how to play f

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersPGM
Hello,
What exercises do you guys think are most effective?
Regards, Anders
You know, there is a HUGE diffrence between beeing able to play fast licks and all that and feeling free to improvise. So let's break it up.

Playing fast is easy. Use a metronome, start slow, play only faster when you are able to play something absolutly perfect slow. That is the only way, proven and pretty simple too.

The second part of your question comes from within, and is more a musical question rather than a technique issue. My route:
Learn theory. A lot. Chords, scales, modes and whatnot. Learn how they sound (what 'feeling' etc). Get inspired by lots of diffrent music. Study diffrent 'genres', like jazz, blues, whatever.
Jam with people and with other music. Start improvising, and listen. What works, and what not? Back that up with theory, and it'll get better and better.

If you combine those two things, you'll achieve what you want. That is, not only can you play fast, but it won't sound like an excercice all the time. How long does it all take? Up to you, but long enogh. Beeing able to play instantly what you 'hear in your head' is true musical freedom, it's what Satch and Vai for example are pretty much able to do most of the time.
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your input! Itīs interesting to here about different approaches and methods.

One thing I do when I practice is playing with a kinda dull and weak sound (that forces you to really work) without much sustain or anything so that all the flaws are flagrant. I also always do this with headphones, and this way thereīs no fooling yourself. And also, as a reward after Iīve done my hour of tedious exercises I let myself have fun with overdrive (and sometimes Wha-Wha). I canīt really play with my amp anyway coz I live in a flat and my neighbours would go nuts, though tempting that might be.
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 10:16 PM

Learn? Dude, do you honestly think any brain activity occurs when I'm playing guitar?

Seriously, I think it took me a couple years to get the speed thing down. I bought a couple Joe Satriani tab books and just kept practicing with those and his CDs. I'm still working on perfecting it, and will forever be working at perfecting it.
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-08-2003, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarkatana
I'm still working on perfecting it, and will forever be working at perfecting it.
yep, that seems to be the only way.

Tags
alternate picking , chord progression , eric johnson , guage strings , guitar shop , guitar tech , joe satriani , paul gilbert , playing guitar , sound forge , steve vai , string skipping , sweep picking , vinnie moore

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode