How long does it take you guys to learn a song? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Banned

How long does it take you guys to learn a song?

Hey guys, I'm just curious as to how long it takes you guys to learn a fairly difficult song. It took me longer then I expected to learn Crazy Train, Always with me, Always with you, and Panama then I expected.
Thanks,
Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 09:00 PM

forever...I never learn songs in their entirety, I should, but somewhere along the line I just start making things up and it ends up being another song.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 09:27 PM

i can play the rythem to easy songs like seek and destroy,gets me through,wild thing, i can the being of for the love of god lol and i mean like the first 30 seconds
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 02:28 AM
Fry

I learned black star by yngwie in less than a month( i don't know if that is fast or not, but the song is pretty respectable so i would say so). the key is to work on the song in different sections. first i learned the rythym. then all the arpeggio rythyms. then the solo. then i was done. It is also good to learn the really hard parts first, and let them soak in after a week, and they seem really easy in like two weeks. That is what works for me.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 09:29 AM

I've been playing for three years... and attempting Joe Satriani stuff from day one (which may sound idiotic.. but

After two years I had nailed Surfing With the Alien
After three years I am now in the process of learning Blue Powder and For the Love of God...

granted these tracks aren't MEGA hard... but they're hard enough to make people go... cool!

I attribute this to an excellent guitar teacher, the desire to learn (I WANTED to be the Best, and still do...) and not giving a f*ck about what anyone else thinks

kev
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev Brigden
I've been playing for three years... and attempting Joe Satriani stuff from day one (which may sound idiotic.. but

After two years I had nailed Surfing With the Alien
After three years I am now in the process of learning Blue Powder and For the Love of God...

granted these tracks aren't MEGA hard... but they're hard enough to make people go... cool!

I attribute this to an excellent guitar teacher, the desire to learn (I WANTED to be the Best, and still do...) and not giving a f*ck about what anyone else thinks

kev
Im learning surfing with the alien right now, and im wondering: How on earth is it possible to execute the lightningfast picktapped section? Is there any secret tricks?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 02:02 PM

Hmm, I aint got a guitar with me, and I;m one of those folks that cant remember how to play a guitar until you give me one but....

well, the pick tapped note is on the 22nd fret (if I remember rightly... I learnt it by ear and to my knowledge it doesnt deviate...

The hammered on notes follow a really easy pattern of going down a fret, then two frets... then two frets again and once more and then another semitone... off of the top of my head... Your troubles start AFTER the pick tapped bit!!!

thats to the best of my memory...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 03:22 PM

Kev's quite right, the part where you tap with your pick is actually quite easy. You don't even have to pull off the notes with it, just smash it hard enough and when you lift it the lower note will ring automatically. You can do this really fast very easily once you get the hang of it. What comes after that is a real challenge....
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 06:22 PM

yup... that legato section is a bit of a bitch to keep clear when you are hammering on and pulling off so fast AND having to move strings...

damn you satch! DAMN YOU AND YOUR QUICK FINGERS!!!

..mind you, I bet Rubina aint complaining

kev
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 04:41 PM

Depends on the song, and my mood. If I'm up for the challenge, I can learn an entire Satriani or Vai song in one day, just by listening to the CD and breaking down everything. I can't always get all the solos perfect, since I kinda hate floyds.

With rock and metal I usually just listen to the CD or whatever and learn the song by ear. Then I'll transcribe it to staff paper, so I have it for reference. I used to get books for songs I wanted to learn, but they always have mistakes. Plus, they're too fvckin expensive. With classical stuff I always learn from the sheet music, since I don't play that much classical music. That way I get some sight-reading practice.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 09:11 PM
Fry

pretty much if you can play better than the songs capabilities, it takes no time to learn a song
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 08:28 AM

Usually takes a day to learn sumthin like boston rain melody and then ill really perfect it the next day same with satch stuff but thats easier and doesnt take as long lol

Tags
joe satriani

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode