How long till you became fast. - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
How long till you became fast.

I am just wondering how long it took the average person to become really fast at getting around the fret's. I am not fast at all. Then again I dont practice speed techniques. Not really sure how to actually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 10:10 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: How long till you became fast.

Everyone is different. It all comes down to how much you practice and what you practice. "Speed techniques?" All you've got to do, is practice your scales. Make sure to practice with alternate picking. There are other methods, too. Try this:
Start on your low E string and on the first fret with your indez finger. Next, 2nd fret middle finger. 3rd fret ring finger. 4th fret pinky. Use alternate picking all the way. Do this on each string. This is a nice little exercise that can help build some speed. Keep doing this and increase speed each time.
Back in 1984, I started building my speed through a quote from Geroge Lynch. He stated that he built speed by just playing s fast as he could, without regard to how it sounded. After he got fast, then he concentrated on technique. Well, I did that very thing and it worked for me...

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrymcp View Post
I am just wondering how long it took the average person to become really fast at getting around the fret's. I am not fast at all. Then again I dont practice speed techniques. Not really sure how to actually.
"Then again I dont practice speed techniques." - in this case you will never become fast.

"Not really sure how to actually." - Paul Gilbert's "Intense Rock Complete" DVD,a metronome, 2-3 hours a day and a couple of years is all you need
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 05:30 AM

Well for me, I noticed the slower I played the faster I became. As far as how long it will take it all depends on how often you practice, talent, and dedication. Always and I mean always play with a metronome! The 1 2 3 4 exercise is a great one to start with! Eventually pick a scale that sounds good to you and learn all the positions and then link them together and come up with exercises that surround that particular scale. And it also depends on what you want to get fast with. If it's alternate picking then practice those exercises with picking. Theoretically, it should be easier to get fast by doing hammer ons and pull offs. It all comes down to what you want to do. Good luck getting fast! Oh lol and another thing, make sure it sounds musical! It's very easy to become one of those guitar players that always sounds like they are playing a scale lol.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Back in 1984, I started building my speed through a quote from Geroge Lynch. He stated that he built speed by just playing s fast as he could, without regard to how it sounded. After he got fast, then he concentrated on technique. Well, I did that very thing and it worked for me...
Ironically, that is the exact opposite of what conventional wisdom says you should do -- start slow, work on technique first, speed comes later. I think both approaches can work, and that it depends on the person. However, it makes you wonder about influence that has on phrasing. George Lynch's playing is very organic, far from the 16th and 32nd note machine sound some guys develope.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 08:31 AM
Contributor

Reviews: 1

You get out of it - what you put into it.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic View Post
if you're putting sand into a juice blender you ain't gonna get juice out of it. ya feels me?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic View Post
Depends more how you go about it, IMO. You can spend hours learning something in a way that has no appeal to you -- only you won't unless you have Vai-level OCD and can stand to do something for hours that you don't find appealing. OR you can seek out a different way that you can relate to and therefore enjoy. Of course, a lot of it depends on your goals.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5

I usually practise/play everyday for a an hour or two. But I have to say, I am not trying to be paul Gilbert fast. That style does not intereset me at all. I am mainly concerned with getting my fingers to a point where I can play songs clearly. Clear chord changes and what not. I practise with a lot of blues scales.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Banned

ive been playing 16 years and im still not that fast,that said im no slouch but should be faster than i am.i can do alternate picking easy down up down up ect ect but still cant get to lightning quick pace.this is me and not you so dont think ah well hes been playing 16 years and still struggling for speed so im going to struggle aswell,thats not the case.just follow this and you will pick up speed in no time,practice a scale pattern,do it slow at first then faster n faster.dont try to play to fast to soon otherwise you wont be able to hear the notes clearly.just do this for a hour or so a day,you will soon get there.theres also some cracking ideas have been put forward by the rest of the lads so take note.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 10:21 PM

Reviews: 1

I started playing before playing fast was cool... never got to play too fast, even today. I practice for a while sometime and then I dont. What I like is that when I pickup the guitar it just sounds cool.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 10:30 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdebradwick View Post
Well for me, I noticed the slower I played the faster I became.
Lol. I tried that lots. Everyone says that from hundreds of guys on the internet to really famous ultra fast guys, but for me when I play slow the only thing that has resulted is that I play slow
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magical Muffin View Post
Lol. I tried that lots. Everyone says that from hundreds of guys on the internet to really famous ultra fast guys, but for me when I play slow the only thing that has resulted is that I play slow
It might not work for everyone for sure, but practicing slow will help you watch your technique closer. I would suggest sticking with a metronome first and foremost.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 04:39 AM

Someone once said "speed is the by-product of accuracy"
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasu1978 View Post
Someone once said "speed is the by-product of accuracy"
Yes I agree, good point, take a peace like Flight of The Bumbelbee, transcribed by Troy Stetina. Start with something slow like 75bpm. When you have it down and can play it cleanly then increase to 80bpm and so on, start slowly and before you know it your at 100bpm.

If you don't want to play super fast then pick songs that you want to learn, go over the fast part, analyse what scale he's playing, play that scale with a metronome at a speed that's comfortable to you and that sounds clean, then increase the speed gradually.
Use a clean sound when you practise technique, distortion can mask or hide some flaws in your techinque.

Write down everything you do, like Bumbelbee 25 minutes, 75bpm.
Then you can go back after 3-4 weeks and see, hey I'm at 85bpm now.
It's fun an rewarding and actually shows you how much you actually practise.
I set a weekly goal, like this week I want to hit 20hours, that's hard for me
with 8-5 work and three kids but you set your priorities in life, I don't watch that
much tv or play video games, instead I play guitar and see progress.

You said you don't want to become Paul Gilbert fast but his videos, mostly Intense Rock, Vol. 1 and 2 and Terrifying Guitar Trip are awesome for getting faster.
And hey he's funny and entertaining and for me keeps guitar fun and exciting, I have played them for some time now and I'm not anywhere near Paul Gilbert fast

The stuff from our fellow Jemsiter JackButlerGOT is good stuff, IntelliShred and Arpeggio Madness check that out.

Like the others have said, start slow and cleanly but remember to increase the speed, don't get stuck at medium speeds, always push the envelope.
Good luck

Last edited by Armann; 09-28-2010 at 07:31 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode