How much better are musicians with perfect pitch? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

How much better are musicians with perfect pitch?

Hi Guys,

I have been thingking of buying this popular set of instruction-tapes that teaches you how to recognize the pitches of notes, just by ear. I have 2 questions?

1.)
Very helpful to hear from you, especially if you have gone through such an instruction course and can tell the difference before and after you acquired the ability - how have you improved, in any way(s), with perfect pitch?

2.)
The add for the instruction-course I'm thinking of getting is about some pianist who describes how he was competing with a fellow pianist at school who was born with perfect pitch; and how he struggled to discover the secret and finally "beat" her. How good is this particular course?

My warmest thanks y'all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 07:31 AM

In my opinion, you don't need "perfect pitch" to develop a good ear for notes, chords, scales and modes. Practice, patience and an analytical ear will take you a long way in improving your ability to identify things by ear.

Does perfect pitch make you a better musician? In my opinion, no, it does not.

There's some debate over whether "perfect pitch" is an inborn trait (either you "have it" or you don't) or whether it can be learned. I think the claims made by David L. Burge are a little on the outrageous side, but he's been advertising for many years, so people must be having some degree of success with his methods.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 08:11 AM

i agree with darren. experience is way better. The more you pratice, the more experience you'll gain. Besides that you will also get more 'connected' to your guitar. What i mean is like you'll know your guitar better etc..
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 08:48 AM

I have posted extensively on this subject. Do a search and ye shall find.

~K
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 10:41 AM

Re: How much better are musicians with perfect pitch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysen
The add for the instruction-course I'm thinking of getting is about some pianist who describes how he was competing with a fellow pianist at school who was born with perfect pitch; and how he struggled to discover the secret and finally "beat" her. How good is this particular course?
The guy's a tool. I have no particular experience with the course he advertizes, but the ads piss me off- he's such an idiot/rockstar poser.

Ear training is INCREDIBLY valuable, but you can do just as much transcribing licks as you can from any tape set, and that'll be more valuable in the long run.

Also, another drill courtesy of Joe Satriani- set your metronome at a slow pace (~80bpm) and start improvising quarter notes (one per click) over the top, completely atonally, with no regard to scales or melodic patterns. Try to "predict" the sound of the note before you play it. After a few minutes, if you can, try singing along. This really makes you solidify what connections you already have, between a given pitch and a given fretboard position, and helps you learn to trust your ear.

-Drew

Tags
joe satriani

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode