How much do we support our favorite artists? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

How much do we support our favorite artists?

Just some rambling thoughts:
I have a big CD collection; probably over a thousand. But a lot of that was gotten cheaply - used CDs, music club intro deals, "buy one,get 3 free" deals, etc. In these cases, artists don't get paid for the sale. That's obvious for used CDs, but most artist contracts stipulate that no royalties are paid on free club merchandise. That's why some artists' CDs aren't available as free or reduced price discs; their contract forbids it.

So, though these are legal and moral transactions, no $$ for the artist. Of course, since I don't give a whit about "the industry", I feel somewhat bad that some of my favorites have made no more money from me than if I'd just gotten free MP3s.

I wonder how much bands would make if they had "donate" buttons on their web sites for salving peoples' consciences. hehehe. I'd pay a buck for every BMG disc I already had that I liked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 10:52 AM

Re: How much do we support our favorite artists?

between the $2000 7VWH, 6 CDs (bought at regular store prices), $30 T-shirt bought at G3 (OMG!!!), two $100 balcony tickets to see the G3 show and the other misc stuff i've bought like books ect., i think i have done my part for Vai. the promotion alone being seen playing two Jems and a custom made Jem isn't putting direct money in his pocket but i'm sure it's worth something for him as well.

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 03:08 PM

The only thing I coinsciously do is make sure I NEVER download mp3's or whatever from places like Kazaa or bittorrent or whatever. I buy lots of CDs, almost always used, but I buy the CD. And, I buy concert DVDs. So, if an artist wants my money (Steve Morse? Hello?) put out a decently watchable DVD with good sound and I'll definitely buy it. I find it difficult to believe there isn't a Steve Morse Band or Dregs show in the can somewhere with decent sound quality...
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 03:11 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

i'm at the point where i'd rather buy a used CD (to allow profits to go to the retailer) and not new (where 98% profits go to corporate lawyers NOT the artist).

your best support for an artist is going to local shows and buying their merchandise there... glen
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
your best support for an artist is going to local shows and buying their merchandise there... glen
Now if only I could get my wife to understand that!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 03:34 PM

don't support at all, they win enough money form concerts and advertisements. Besides they only get like 4% of the money from an album. I consider going to concerts and listening to them a support, not buying CD's.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 03:38 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

long read but worth the time...

http://www.negativland.com/albini.html

Quote:
The band is now 1/4 of the way through its contract, has made the music industry more than 3 million dollars richer, but is in the hole $14,000 on royalties. The band members have each earned about 1/3 as much as they would working at a 7-11, but they got to ride in a tour bus for a month. The next album will be about the same, except that the record company will insist they spend more time and money on it. Since the previous one never "recouped," the band will have no leverage, and will oblige. The next tour will be about the same, except the merchandising advance will have already been paid, and the band, strangely enough, won't have earned any royalties from their T-shirts yet. Maybe the T-shirt guys have figured out how to count money like record company guys. Some of your friends are probably already this ****ed.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777
Now if only I could get my wife to understand that!
Hey you got the ticket to see the show what more do you want .

Regards

André

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

See, this is why they need a donation button on a website. I'm not much of a concert goer (too expensive, hate crowds, closest location is an hour & a half away, and that's a secondary market venue anyway) and don't like the merchandise thing.

I wanna PAY the ARTIST for making MUSIC I LIKE. Too bad there's so much crap in the way of that.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 10:29 PM
Kii

Like someone said, if you truly want to support your favorite artist, buy their merchandise, go to their concerts, etc. But don't buy CDs(for the most part) it won't benefit them, but only line the pockets of the record execs.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 10:43 PM

Well, I buy CDs because I like to listen to music and feel that downloading it for free is stealing. I buy CDs to have the music; is there another way to get it?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777
Well, I buy CDs because I like to listen to music and feel that downloading it for free is stealing. I buy CDs to have the music; is there another way to get it?
Personally, I don't have any qualms with downloading a few tracks off an album to get a taster, then I go and get the whole thing if I like it. It's sort of the same with films, games, etc.

Too much money goes into the pockets of those that don't shed the blood and tears, and if they DO have to have a cut, I make sure damn well that it's for something that I like.

"Try but ALWAYS buy, unless it sucks" is my moto

Oh and I agree about being able to make a donation directly to the artist via their website. Recently I had tickets to go to see Vai but couldn't because of a problem with my ear and it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to go to a gig anytime in the near future

Also, what the hell is preventing artists from recording their shows live and distributing them via their website? (on both CD and DVD)
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 05:20 AM

I buy used a lot, although some rarer suff I buy new.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez249
Also, what the hell is preventing artists from recording their shows live and distributing them via their website? (on both CD and DVD)
Their recording contract. Major label bands have signed their life away, basically. They can never make any money that bypasses the record company. Which is why there's no "donate to the band" on web sites.

IMO music would be better if the labels all died and EVERYTHING was "independent". Never happen, though.

Tags
steve morse

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode