How to not seem, or at least feel, like an 'ace.' - Like, I' - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2001, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

How to not seem, or at least feel, like an 'ace.' - Like, I'

Ok, here are the facts.
I'm basically an idiot. I've learned this recently.
I focused so much on tone and equipment, I forgot about technique.
I have 2 tube half stacks, an RG 570 with custom pickups, a few pedals I don't even really use any more, and 800 down on my UV777BK.
Now, get ready to either laugh your 'ace' off or kick mine.
I don't even know a scale.
I have potential, I think, and I can play the music I know really fast(as if that means anything), but I never learned to read music when I took piano lessons, mostly because I was forced, and hated it.
Now, how do I not look or at least feel like a total moron walking into my first lesson with a $1400 guitar?
Let alone trying to get my teacher to understand(as in, get why they're making those sounds) Mr Bungle enough to teach me how to play Carry Stress in the Jaw.
Any idiot shield tips?
Should I just say that I'm an idiot straight up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2001, 12:16 AM

How to not seem, or at least feel, like an 'ace.'

Yeah, man, don't hide from the truth! *

Seriously, you're not going to fool a guitar teacher (and if you do, get a new one). *Be honest; he's there to help you and the more he knows about where you're at, the better he can help... regardless of the pricetag on your guitar.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2001, 12:28 PM

the resources in this very forum are quite extensive.

learn the pentatonics, majors (3notes per string), minors (3notes per string) and the modes (definately the modes )
just spend the time you have now before the lesson working on the shapes, they're pretty easy and just slide 'em about for the key. (unless your lesson is today that is)

once you start learning the shapes you'll probably notice their appearance in a lot of the songs you play.

but if you're not totally comfortable with them don't let him think you are either or he'll get too technical with you.

all the other scales can wait...harmonic minor (yummmm love it), jazz minor, phryg dominant, diminished, altered dom etc... (but do learn them eventually to expand your talent)
and don't just "learn" them, learn to "use" them.

he won't laugh at you or make you feel dumb if he's any kind of decent teacher, and if he does just bop him on the nose and go elsewhere

good luck

Steve
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

That was my original plan, I hope it works.
The thing is, the only music that I listen to that is likely to contain scales is the Jazz portions and basslines of Mr Bungle, *Estradasphere(those guys all have degrees in music), and maybe Slayer.
Carcass is a huge influence on me musically, but then so is Chicago, and some Throbbong Gristle(I never know what to do with the TG type stuff I do. Industrial noise combined with other music's for Mr Bungle) so I'm pulled in all sorts of directions.
Carcass comes from punk music, so chord structure never really mattered on the early stuff, all 2 string power chords.
The later stuff's solos sound like(not sure) they are mostly in the blues scale, at least very blues oriented.
OK, so I've said nothing so far, but at least you know where I'm coming from.
Here goes, Chicago and Estradashere(jazz) will have scales, but that's way beyond me.
It looks like I'm left with Slayer. KMFDM solos(HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!AAAHAHAHAAAAAAaaaaa...!!) sound like pointless scale runs, maybe I should play those. (ps, I like KMFDM.)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 10:19 AM

I suppose it all depends on what you want to achieve on the guitar.

For me I just want to be able to have limitless possibilities open to me, which inevitably means learning everything, I know all my shapes and how to use them, but I do often get confused delving too far into theory and some of the things the guys talk about on this forum blows my mind, but then I find I may be playing something or working on something and it clicks...oh yeah! that's what those berklee boffins were on about!

There's many things I have learnt that I may never use, but it's good to know it's there if I want too, if I'm stuck for a solo over a chord progression I've worked on I may stumble upon a cool sounding phrase from a scale I'd learn't previously that was just gathering dust

Certain scales work better with certain progressions, they may not only sound better, but will lend a different mood and texture to the music.
I've been messing around with the altered dominant (super locrian) recently, a scale I've never payed attention too at all really, but it's opened up some cool stuff to me and works well(ish) over a dom7.

Keep at it

Steve
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

I'm dreaming of fusing jazz method and chord theory into grindcore style guitar tones and speed.
Think of the phrase 'speed walking'. Not doing a really fast run, just walking scales to blast beats.

Tags
chord progression

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode