How to play and sing at the same time - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

How to play and sing at the same time

Playing and singing acoustic is a very good skill because it essentially makes up a one-man band. I'm having trouble playing and singing at the same time though, so does anyone have any tips? The song I'm trying to learn is Blackest Eyes by Porcupine Tree. It's not a very hard song, and you can play the verse and chorus on acoustic (the rest is too heavy to sound very good) Any tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 04:29 AM

Re: How to play and sing at the same time

Playing and Singing at the same time is alot harder than it looks isnt it! lol, it is rediculously difficult. Thats why I have respect for all frontmen that play and sing at the same time (e.g. Hetfield). But I think the key to it is being able to play the song you want in your sleep.

You really need to know how to play the song like the back of your hand, with your eyes closed. Then its just a case of the old "practise" thing. But my friend (who used to be a frontman in his band) said that he found it easier to play the song and sing the words over the playing "quietly", at first. And then gradually raise the volume once you have memorized the lyrics and playing the song.

Eventually it must become second-nature.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 08:47 AM

You should really try it with easy songs--songs, as was said by the.godfather, that you're quite familiar with. I did it with songs that were typed out in a simple format (the words with the chords above them), so I could read both. I didn't have to think about what was coming next. That's how I started. I'm even getting to the point where I can play leads and sing a little. That's tricky.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 02:37 PM

Use a metronome at 1/2 the song's normal speed. Get used to playing in time and figure out which beat the vocals start on; not everyone begins singing on the 1 and it can get tricky if they don't. Starting with a prog song is not the easiest task, either, because they tend to do tricky things. Try "Wish You Were Here" or "Red House".

-Devin
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 07:48 PM

Reviews: 120

I don't think it's something that can be really taught. I play in a band and am also the singer. I found that playing covers is really difficult, especially when you try to lpay it just like the original if it doesn't somehow "fit" with you (hard to explain I don't think there's really a term for it).

When it came to writing my own songs and performing live I write within my own "rhythm". This as well as just play fairly basic chordal structures when singing and leave the more complex stuff for inbetween.

Also when covering songs try to play them a bit different, so they sit with your own unique style and rhythm. My band plays a couple of covers and we change them a bit (or a lot in some cases) to fit with my singing style and rhythm, and to make it soud fresh.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 09:38 PM

Santana's Evil Ways is pretty easy too. Two chords for most of the song. I get really comfortable singing it and playing it seperately, then mix the two slowly. I find it a lot easier to sing in key when playing, but it takes a few days of practicing the same song over and over before I can do both at the same time. I usually record myself and play it back too.

Oh and I have to second the thing about having your own rhythm. I drove myself nuts trying to sing and play some songs, got disappointed, wrote two of my own songs and found it was really easy then. Trying to do songs that just seem to confuse you is good practice.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 10:00 PM

Reviews: 120

The thing is once you can do it with your own stuff or by changing the feel of a song even slightly just so it sits with your personal rhythm (as I call it) you may find it slightly easier with stuff that you found impossible before hand.

This may not be because you've mastered the whole singing and playing at the same time thing, but because you've stopped trying to play everything exactly as the creator played and started applying your own "rhythm" or style to it. I personally find this a lot more satisfying at times as you are putting your own mark on a song.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 05:39 PM

there once was a thing called practice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode