How to transport a guitar to Jemfest for flyers. - Safety fi - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

How to transport a guitar to Jemfest for flyers. - Safety fi

I've been asked this question before endless times so I thought I'd bring it up in this new forum. *How do I safely transport a guitar?

1. Ship it! *Your guitar was shipped originally was it not? *Hopefully you saved your shipping box. *If not, go to your local music store and beg them and they just might have one for you. *Package your guitar well in the case. *I use foam around any 'loose' spots where the guitar might slide around a bit. *Insure your guitar for the value it's worth and add a little more. *I recommend removing/covering any reference to a guitar printed on the box. *make it look generic. *Ship the guitar to the Hotel and make sure you call the Hotel to arrange the delievery in case it gets there early. *Plan the delievery for your arrival date.

2. *Carry it on! *I've done this countless times in the past. *Don't let anyone give you sh!t about 'oh - it's too big to carry on!'. *Not true if you use a gig bag - a well padded gig bag. *Good luck trying to get closet space for your guitar on the airplane unless you're flying 1st class or made special arrangements with the airline (ie. bribed or payed for the space). *Get an isle seat. *Look for a near full overhead compartment and slide your guitar on top of all the baggage. *Close the compartment door and keep an eye out for people digging through the bin after take-off. *You know they'll grab their bag and down comes the guitar! *When the plane lands, jump up out of your seat and get your guitar.

I don't recommend checking your guitar in. *You'll have to pay for oversized baggage and it won't be treated real nice.

Gabe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 01:40 PM

How to transport a guitar to Jemfest for flyers.

Right!!! DONīT CHECK it in!!! I lost mine 3 times allready and the last time they took away my volume knob because it is gold color. But why the hell they left the treble one since its the exact same thing???:-) Well who knows maybe there was a serious fight about the first one and suddenly a security guy came in and they couldnīt grab the other one!!:-)

Anyways... from now on only in my own hands !!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 04:22 PM

A special note about airline's.... They will not cover the price automatically of*lost or stolen guitars! United Airlines last time I checked won't even insure a guitar! So carry it with you! They have limitations on the automatic insurance and they will not cover you if you say it was a Jem without proof and extra coverage... sad but true!

I myself have gone as far as taking the neck off and wrapping the guitar up in towels and loading it into my regular luggage but thats a gamble on it's own right's.....I was traveling with 3 guitars, one in hand and two burried in the luggage.....:loco:
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 05:17 PM

Talked me into it. I’m gonna’ ship it.

It’s only a week away. I guess I better get busy.

A week away! Cool! :thumbsup:
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2001, 01:24 AM

If you need a place to ship beside's the hotel contact me, I can be on the receiving end down here and transport them to the hotel if your not comfortable sending them there to sit.

Just e-mail me
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2001, 01:55 AM
deleted username

...and for those going, "Yeah- right. *I'll ship my guitar to Brian then see him go to Europe with it!"...wrong. *Brian's quite trust-worthy. *I'll vouche for him. *No problem. *I think a few others here would do the same.

The hotel should be cool about stuff being shipped to them. *Just be sure to mark the package like this:

Holiday Inn Select-Orlando Intl. Airport
ATTN: JOE SCHMOE- GUEST
5750 T.G. Lee Blvd.
Orlando, FL 32822

...and include the hotel's phone number on the box near the address label (407-851-6400).

For those worried about parking their gear, we do have a locked storage room. *Email myself or Gabe about getting your larger gear stored in there over the weekend.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2001, 02:11 AM

Ahhh my new name JOE SCHMOE seriously either way your more comfortable with......but*all in all I would recommend the carry on with the airlines....
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 02:37 PM

Whenever I've flown with a guitar, I get a cardboard acoustic from a guitar store, then pack the all my clothes around the cased guitar inside the box for extra padding.
I've done this 4 times now, never had a problem.

Tags
local music store , music store , padded gig bag

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode