Hurting hands - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Hurting hands

Hey all. Im mostly curious of something today as i havn't been able to play guitar in 2 days. This is something i never usually do, but i was wondering if anyone else experiences hand pain enough to where they can't play, and if so how long it lasts. These past few days my tendons have been pretty sore, so i thought it would be necessary to take a break. This pain kinda came out of nowhere, never happened before.

Just curious, thanks, Ryan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 06:17 PM

Unhappy Re: Hurting hands

dude this is serious you have to stop playing and go see a physiotherapist if you play when your tendons are hurting it can and WILL lead to "PERMENANT" damage and you wont be playing anytime soon, my advice stay off the guitar and see go to the physio SOON because if it hurts so much as you cant even play its serious **** man. im doing physio now and my wrist pain is getting better, im taking it easy and doing theory while im not playing and you should too. honestly man any guitarist will tell you that pain in your wrist is serious,

good luck and keep us posted!

JF
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 06:22 PM

Re: Hurting hands

Take a break and see the Doc...could be the beginings of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and you dont want that!!
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Thank god you guys said something, i highly appreciate it. Well my pain has subsisded greatly, it happened a few days ago and my whole arm was sore, especially my wrist. Its almost all gone though now, should i still get it checked out, or what, because right now at 11 at night its almost gone, so i think itll probably be gone by tomorrow, but i'll keep you posted.

Thanks, Ryan
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 01:27 AM

What do you play, a Wizard neck?

When your hand improves, try a different neck guitar for a while - maybe something more strat-like. I played an RG570 one day (GREAT guitar), but after about 3 hours, I developed a brutal pain in my wrist and hand that I'd never experienced in 10 years of playing. So I traded it for a Wizard II neck, 19mm instead of 17mm. Since then I've played a Jem, JS, and variety of other necks and haven't experienced the pain since. But the "thumb-behind" position on that 17mm was brutal.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 01:54 AM

Definately go see the doc .

Regards

André

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 03:07 AM

just go watch a rusty cooley video and look at his muscles in his arm when hes alternate picking..tht should help you.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 03:38 AM

Do as the others have said, just take a break for a while. Then if it continues, goes and see a doctor or physio of some sort. Because as the others said, you just do not want Carpal Tunnel. If and when you do start playing again, make sure you warm up properly. There is alot to be said for warming-up before you play.

And do what MehYam said, and try a Strat neck (C/V shape) or something. It will be alot more comfortable on your hands than a Wizard variety.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Right now im playing a Jem7vwh, im not sure what neck that is, but i don't think its the problem since ive been playing it for a while. Ive been doing more techniques and ways of playing that require my hands to stretch farther lately so thats probabaly it, but the pain is mostly gone now to much relief. I tired playing today and while theres no pain it seems like my hand gets tired very easily, as if i had alrerady been thredding for a couple hours.

Thanks for the help, Ryan
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

The pain has moved from my hands to my forearm now, its not too bad, do you think i should still see a doctor. Im really scared i may have gotten tendinitis or however you spell it. Has anyone else felt this or gotten tendinitis?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, Ryan
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 02:29 PM

Reviews: 4

Whiskey helps with hand pain!

I had problems with my drumming, it went away when I loosened up my death grip on the sticks. When I play guitar or bass, I stay as loose as I possibly can.

Just a thought!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 12:28 AM

How many people need to tell you to go visit a doc/physio before you actually do it?
If you don't want to, that's fine, but stop asking when, should I, etc.

DO IT! DO IT NOW!

Tendinitis is "less" of a worry than CTS (or repetitive stress injuries) in my opinion, since Tendinitis can be "localized" to specific areas. CTS/RSI much more difficult to localize, treat and prevent. BUT, GO VISIT THE DOC/PHYSIO anyway.

Make sure also that you warm up yourself before you start shredding, or doing anything repetitive with your hands. Stretching helps. Also, do NOT practice/play continuously for long periods of time without giving the hands a break.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys guys. Yes I am going to visit the doctor, but until my appointment which is tomorrow, I can't help but being curious. Its so darn hard to sit there and stare at a 7vwh without wanting to make it sing.

As soon as i read DO IT NOW!! i can't help but think about arnold schwarzenagger, grab my hand dana, do it now, get into the choppa!!

Ryan

Tags
alternate picking , rusty cooley

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode