I can't play a damned thing anymore!! - What in the hell hap - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

I can't play a damned thing anymore!! - What in the hell hap

I used to be able to alternate pick sixteenths cleanly at a little over 200bpm. I used to be able to pick up my guitar and play whatever came into my head and sit there and have fun without much effort!!

I CAN'T PLAY A GODDAMNED THING ANYMORE!!!! I've only been practicing more and more and I can't play anything anymore!!!! My legato sucks, my alternate picking is slow, and inacurrate, and I can't sweep pick worth ****!! Nothing comes to my head when I try to improvise or write! I feel so akward when I play.

I don't understand it!! I didn't stop practicing or take a break!! I've been practicing for six hours a day and it seems like I forgot everything I know about guitar!! I listen to old computer recordings and can't understand how I did it!!

I can't even play this at over 150bpm:

---------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4
-----------------------------------------1-2-3-4----------
-------------------------------1-2-3-4--------------------
---------------------1-2-3-4------------------------------
-----------1-2-3-4----------------------------------------
-1-2-3-4--------------------------------------------------

Things that were incredibly easy for me a month ago are impossible for me now!!

You have NO idea how frustrating this is for me!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 05:26 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
I can't play a damned thing anymore!!

take a month break from the guitar. you will come back to it with a different perspective and lots of new ides... glen
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Wow... That would be really difficult for me, I can hardly go four hours without playing guitar... I'll try taking just a day off though...
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 08:05 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

it might be difficult but it will help dramatically. try a week off at least. you'll be surprised at the results... glen
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Alright, I'll spend tommorow analyzing and *reworking my technique, I'll try to find some great inspiration. if I don't figure out what's wrong with me by the end of tommorow, I'll take a couple of days or a week off.

I'll get back to you by tommorow night, thanks for your help.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 10:04 PM

Dang it...I had this long post and I accidently hit reset!

In short...

relax, jam out and don't concentrate on technique!...get into the music, get creative (not technical)...basically don't over analyze your playing at the moment ...its good to do that during practice but it seems your in a rut. These are just some ideas that work for me as I've had similar road blocks (but nothing to the extent of yours).

If all else fails take a break...I know of a guitarist with a very similar situation who took a month off...came back and within a week was wailing better than before.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 11:00 PM

i think its just one of those days where u just don't have the form to play..same thing for me too..just leave it for awhile...when u get back to it later it will all come back!
i find that i play better after leaving the guitar for quite some time..
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-14-2001, 10:33 AM

This kind of thing happened to me more than once. Well... often when you practice too much you get better, better, and then....... it seems like you've lost everything you've learned and have came back to the starting point. My suggestion is...... let your hands and brain rest for some time. To me it's crucial, when you are doing a complex thing like playing guitar, have a period of break after long periods of intense practicing.... you have to let your hands and brain understand, assimilate, and mature what you have learned with countless hours of practice.... If you don't get some rest everything will mess up in your head..... have a break, it's summer! Go to the beach with your friends for some days.... let your mind relax....think about beautiful girls and not alternate picking..... then, after a few days, grab your guitar and let yourself watch your hands flying over the fretboard. You will find that you can play better than you could before.... don't worry these things happen to every player!
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-14-2001, 12:14 PM

Try playing when your not drunk

Just kidding....Hook up with someone else and have a few little jam sessions. Agree on what you gonna play and follow his lead. It's a lot easier to get back in the grove when your not alone. That way no all of the focus is on you. When it does come back it will happen all at once.

RýcK
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-14-2001, 01:37 PM

just thought Id add my bit,

This kinda stuff happens to me from time to time, somtimes I can breeze through flight of the bumblebee at close to 230 (ala JP) but then I go through realy bad low patches where all coordination goes out the window!!! and its so frustrating.

what I do then to get out of this rut is only play jazz and classical guitar for a couple (3ish) of days, it seems to reset my brain and I come back blazing again! refreshed and coordinated once more!

Steve
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-14-2001, 03:36 PM

Steve I'd love to hear flight played by someone other than John Petrucci...Can you post it? ...I'm still working on it (alternate picking not quite there yet). It's always inspiring to hear other musicians with great technical facility.

edit spelling

(Edited by Andrew Amicarelli at 3:37 pm on July 14, 2001)
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-14-2001, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Alright, here's what I've figured out between last night and now:

I developed a strange habit (whithout realizing it) of picking with my wrist but changing from string to string with me arm. This screws me up on runs that go from the 6th to 1st string because I start with my hand above the strings resting on the upper body of the guitar. The reason this doesn't work for me is because the flesh of my arm gets stuck to the body of the guitar and makes my picking immoblil, and that exercize I mentioned obove extremely difficult.

This also makes legato difficult because I would do a legato run and not adjust where my arm was on the guitar and end up picking the wrong string.

The same effect would occur with sweeping, if I was doing an alternate picked run and then wanted do throw in a sweep I would have to lift my arm off the guitar to sweep across strings with and arm motion.

By examining Petrucci's picking style, I found out that instead of moving my arm to get a consistent pick attack, that I should keep my pinky anchord just under the pickup, adjust *my fingers for consistent pick attack, and change from string to string with my wrist. This is the approach I always used before the last week or so. I didn't even realize this technique flaw was developing, or why for that matter.

So, after adjusting my picking style to a loose wrist motion instead of a tight arm movement (something very basic I learned early on), I'm able to play Troy Stetina's Flight of the Bumble Bee at my usual 170+ speed, and all of Petrucci's chromatic exercizes at 220! And I can play all the things that I've been working on during my July-six-hour-a-day-mad-rush-to-prepare-for-Berklee-Summer-sessions (Thats a lot of -s) *faster and more cleanily than before!!

The other technique problem I had was being too strict about the thumb behind the back thing. I kind of got this from Petrucci, but after re-anilyizing his technique, I saw that he adjusts is thumb to what he's playing. He also angles his hand when he gets to the upper strings and upper registers. I, for some reason, got it into my head that I HAD to have my thumb directly behind the neck of the guitar no matter what. After doing what came naturally to me, my fretting hand felt less akward.

So, in short I got over it without taking a sacreligious (for me, anyway) break! It's funny how little technique quarks can screw you up like that. *I also spent some time listening to music I usually don't listen to often. I've been listening to nothing but Awake, FII, and SFNY for the last two months or so.

Thanks, for all your suggestions though! I might decide to take a break a month or so after the guitar sessions just to see what it does for me.

BTW, does anyone know of any 15 year olds that are going? I'm worried that I'll be among the few, youngest people there, because 15 is the minimum age.

Thanks again!
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-14-2001, 07:39 PM

sure man,

do you want me to tab out my version??

I do some two handed stuff in it to make it sound more like the original but apart from that its all alternate picking

I cant remember if Petrucci plays it all the way to the end???

Ill check once in a live time out later as its 12:40 at night here in Ireland and I have a party to get to yet

man I wish I had even heard of Petrucci and Vai when I was 15!!!!!!!!!!

I was playin only crappy clapton and Hendrix stuff back in "ye olde dayes"
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-16-2001, 06:58 AM

Do what is comfortable for you...not what is comfortable for JP.

Sometimes after playing too much in consecutive days my hands get fatigued and 9 guage strings feel like 11's. *If I take a day or two off, I'll come back and they'll feel like 6's. *Strange thing, but true.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-16-2001, 09:01 AM

[quote]Quote: from RedFish5 on 12:14 pm on July 14, 2001
Try playing when your not drunk

its funny that i can play better when i'm drunk!

Tags
alternate picking , gauge strings , guage strings , john petrucci , playing guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode