Ibanez JEM Forum banner

I come to you cause I value your opinions.. Tone Blue Powder

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Ozzdoc 
#1 ·
Ok just playing I know it will never sound the same..

But is this tone passable for Blue Powder.. IF YOU DONT THINK SO, Please explain what it needs.

I come to you guys cause I value your opinions. I just hate when people say its no where close and then dont explain why..

Thanks in advance.
Brett

http://www.ibanezpodxt.com/BluePowder.mp3

#7 ·
I think it sounds similar, but a bit less compressed than the original. This is a good thing, as I don't really like the tone Vai had for that song. Actually, I find the tone on Passion and Warfare to be a bit too Marshall-y for my tastes, but that's just me.

I agree with HSH that it needs more attitude. Think of it this way: You're not playing the song; you *are* the song. That mental trick sometimes helps me.

#9 · (Edited)
Its a bit too gritty and not tight enough. dry lowering the gain a bit and try tweeking the EQ's a bit more like back off the bass a bit and bump the mids a tad. is this straight up PodXT or are you putting anything else in the mix? Its getting there though..

This is a tone I've been trying to get as well out of my 2.0, I've come pritty close too using a 808 and a DS-1 into the pod then into a BBE.

#10 ·
First off, your bends sounds great. The harmonics sound good, but they don't "scream" for lack of a better term. It sounds a bit muddy. I agree with Lefty Robb, drop some lows out and boost the mids.

You sound almost like the recording technique-wise to me. Very smooth and fluid.

Keep up the good work. And like giannifive said, You are the song. Record it again, but this time let Brett play the song, not Mr. Vai ;p

#11 ·
straight PodXT

the hard part is once it runs thru all my other rack stuff its damn close but no one gets to hear that.. :(

I guess a mic and maybe someway to get it in the computer might be a better option for capturing depth and more of its character.

The PodXT is a tricky monster.. A preset thru your gear might sound bad ass but run it straight from the usb and its no where near what your hearing live.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.