I found out about this book called "The Lydian Chromatic Concept of Tonal Organizatio - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

I found out about this book called "The Lydian Chromatic Concept of Tonal Organizatio

I found out about this book called "The Lydian Chromatic Concept of Tonal Organization" written by George Russell.
Has anybody read it???
If so, was it good???

It seemed pretty deep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 12:48 PM

Re: I found out about this book called "The Lydian Chromatic Concept of Tonal Organiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hjalmar Jakobsson View Post
I found out about this book called "The Lydian Chromatic Concept of Tonal Organization" written by George Russell.
Has anybody read it???
If so, was it good???

It seemed pretty deep
I get the feeling Satriani & Vai read it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 02:46 PM

Reviews: 5
Re: I found out about this book called "The Lydian Chromatic Concept of Tonal Organiz

I'd like to get my hands on such a book! lol.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 12:08 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirN View Post
I get the feeling Satriani & Vai read it.

LMAO............more than likely true though.........
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmaur View Post
LMAO............more than likely true though.........
This book is way, I mean WAY MORE deep than the lydian use of Vai and Satriani.

It lays a fundation of understanding all westen music harmony around the chromatic lydian concept based on the relation of any note with its lydian origin. Is a great book but very deep indeed.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 07:21 PM

Reviews: 20

One should, after reading this book, make a book called:
THE CHROMATIC DORIAN CONCEPT OF TONAL ORGANISATION
Sounds more like a joke to me to be honest, why Lydian? I cannot see why or how every note has a LYDIAN origin, what the hell happened to the 'origin' being relative to the tonic of the scale or mode (or even raga) one is playing in? If anyone has read it, what do you think of it? Is it, politely put, an ABSOLUTE WASTE OF TIME? Or did it actually benefit you in any other way than killing some time? Sorry if I seem like I'm prejudging this book, it's just I find it hard not to with it having such a seemingly outrageous, unnecessary title!
Thanks
Regards
Jon
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarist-Jonny View Post
One should, after reading this book, make a book called:
THE CHROMATIC DORIAN CONCEPT OF TONAL ORGANISATION
Sounds more like a joke to me to be honest, why Lydian? I cannot see why or how every note has a LYDIAN origin, what the hell happened to the 'origin' being relative to the tonic of the scale or mode (or even raga) one is playing in? If anyone has read it, what do you think of it? Is it, politely put, an ABSOLUTE WASTE OF TIME? Or did it actually benefit you in any other way than killing some time? Sorry if I seem like I'm prejudging this book, it's just I find it hard not to with it having such a seemingly outrageous, unnecessary title!
Thanks
Regards
Jon
To make it simple lydian mode is the closest thing we have in western even temperated scales to the way the natural harmonics behave in relation with the fundamental tone that produces them.

is as waste of time as any other deep book of music theory, to me it was wonderful cos it explained to me a lot of things that I intuitively had somehow grasped.

BTW this book is considered a cornerstone in Jazz theory books, it was the first to put jazz music theory in it's own perspective rather than the in European's music one

Last edited by _FR0D0; 02-20-2010 at 08:40 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 07:12 AM

Reviews: 20

Cornerstone in jazz theory? I'm gonna have to get and at least quick-read it at some point, maybe reading the book will change my opinion of the title xD! Thanks FR0D0 !
Thanks
Regards
Jon
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 05:19 AM

Yikes! This book sells for $170 on Amazon!! I highly recommend to everyone that they read a book titled Lies My Music Theory Teacher Told Me. This book has introduced me to the differences between just and tempered intonation. Check it out!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 09:21 AM

Reviews: 3

$170.00?!!!! Does it come with anything like free movie tickets? Cheeez.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alepheleven View Post
Yikes! This book sells for $170 on Amazon!! I highly recommend to everyone that they read a book titled Lies My Music Theory Teacher Told Me. This book has introduced me to the differences between just and tempered intonation. Check it out!
is not a bad book, but take it with a grain of salt.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1VFF1V...R1VFF1V1943O9B

Tags
chromatic , concept , improvisation , lydian , russell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode