I Get To Play Guitar With My Highschool Band! - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 13
I Get To Play Guitar With My Highschool Band!

I am a member of my school's jazz ensemble, and only because the band director found a few loopholes for me. Turned out, I had to be a member of the school's marching/concert band. Being the 16 year old rocker that I am, I couldn't bring my self to learn trombone or anything like that. Besides, I can already read standard notation pretty well.

So a few days ago (Thursday the 12th) the band director comes up to me during my 5th period class (jazz band) and hands me some sheet music. He told me he wanted me to play guitar with the band during halftime next Friday!

So far the only downside I can speculate here is that I am no longer able to hang out with my friends during the football games, and I have to wear the dorky band uniform the whole time... :/

The song I am playing is called "Boo! (Mountain King)" and it seems to actually be a really cool rock song. So when I get to play on Friday, I will be sure to have it filmed and I can share with all of my fellow Jemsiters my first real guitar performance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 04:16 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: I Get To Play Guitar With My Highschool Band!

Good on you for learning to read music, too many guys miss the opportunity! The uniform might look abut funny but being a part of a massive band is a great feeling

What gear will you be using? Will the guitar match the school colours?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 07:31 AM

When I was in high school there was a guy that played a keyboard with the marching band. He set up near the drum major's stand. He had a battery powered amp. Maybe you could play pieces of songs, like those played at pro and college games(examples Crazy Train, a lot of AC/DC), during the timeouts and other breaks in the game.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Good on you for learning to read music, too many guys miss the opportunity! The uniform might look abut funny but being a part of a massive band is a great feeling

What gear will you be using? Will the guitar match the school colours?
I will be using a pretty simple rig actually. Guitar->Crybaby GCB-95->Vox Satchurator->Boss DD-6->Fender FM 212r.

And my schools colors are purple and gold, and lucky for me, my guitar is transparent amber, so its pretty gold i guess. Im sure alaksabat has a few guitars that would be more fitting though

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode