I just cant find the right string gauges... ZzZz... - Gah... - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2001, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

I just cant find the right string gauges... ZzZz... - Gah...

I have switched back and forth between .10 and .09. I like .09 way more because you can bend higher and make wide vibratos more easily. The problem with .09 is that they is a bit to thin for my fingertips... After playing for one hour or so, it hurts bigtime... *They practically cut the skin. The same thing happens with .10 because i just have to push harder to get the same sound/effect when i bend/vibrato. I think the most ideal for me would be detuning .10's one whole step down... There must be another solution.... ZzZz....
Anybody ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2001, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

I just cant find the right string gauges... ZzZz...

goddamm.. *i have a lesson in 1.15h and my fingertips is just killing me right now... *Gah... *It sucks. This is the first time my class mates will hear me play since my wrist has been hurt... *Ind i will have to take it really gentle... hehe *
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 01:43 PM

a set of .008's ?
Might work and you'd have even wider vibrato...
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 10:23 AM

You're stuck between a rock and a hrd place here.

The problem is the 9's slice the fingers and the 10's are too tight.

You're 2 options are a) as you have said downtune with 10's, but that's not really ideal or b) find yourself a shorter scale guitar and string it with 10's. I presume you have a 25-1/2" scale length atm, so maybe give a 24-3/4" (used by Gibson a lot) or a 25" (used by PRS a lot) a go.

gl

Steve

(Edited by ripl3y at 10:58 am on Oct. 15, 2001)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 10:46 AM

Try building up the finger strength I'd say, I like 9's, but they felt very thin when i started using them again (was used to 11's downtuned) and I couldn't feel them, but it's fine now. Just takes a while to get used to it!

If you go for the detuning, try detuning half a step, get used to that, then tune normally again. That way you could get your fingers stronger in increments...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2001, 11:14 AM

I use 0.09, and i love it... not only because of the bends and vibratos, but also because theyre smooth to play (for me) Sometimes, the only finger that sometimes is hurting really bad, is the tinny... Man, when im practicing arpeggios and sweeps, after "1h" the finger is hurting, but this only strenghs your finger... when im playing i dont feel anuy pain... Weird...

However, one of the best ways to gain strengh in the finger is to play on a classic guitar... this was one of the best ways for me to gain strengh... but this was for me... im just giving you my advice...

Hope it helps

Seeya

God bless you all

Pedro Miguel
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2001, 01:04 AM

I agree w/ Pedrucci; either practice on a classical guitar w/ nylon strings, or an acoustic with big ol' strings. *I use .13 guage strings on my acoustic, and the .10's on my Ibanez feel like nothing when I finally do get the chance to play on them. *Add in the volume I'm using when I do play electric (pretty much live only) and it makes for a good-sounding and good-playing evening.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2001, 08:25 PM

Better yet, if you have an extra electric, string it with insane guage flatwounds. *I had a set of flatwound 13's for a week before i broke them and went back to the 9's on my jem. *Finger strength will fix all your problems. *Don't worry about your string guage.

Tags
guage strings , nylon strings , string guage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode