I Mother Earth - The Quicksilver Meat Dream Review - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

I Mother Earth - The Quicksilver Meat Dream Review

Well, I thought I'd type up a track by track review of this one for those who care to read it. This is the best CD I've heard in a long time. If you like Tool, Dream Theater, or just music in general you'll like this CD. It's very prog-ish at times, while also being catchy, etc. Some tracks feature a Jerry Jones Baritone guitar (first time used by the band), so that's what I'm referring to when I mention them.

1) 0157:H (3:46)
Real Audio Clip

"...and this is me hangin' on." Great opening track, very cool build up, kinda trippy and soft at the beginning with the electronic drums and synths, and getting heavy...really heavy. The bass sound is amazing here.

2) Choke (4:1
Real Audio Clip

Running straight from 0157:H, this song starts out with a heavy delay-and-harmonics riff, and just gets heavier. A great, angry song, some people think it's about their old singer, Edwin. Very anthemic chorus, much like most of the songs on here. Soft middle section, electronic drums, then suddenly getting heavy, for the guitar solo, simple, yet cool.

3) I Is Us (5:43)
Real Audio Clip

A real head-bobbing type song. Starts with this really cool effect-soaked electric drum part at the beginning. The vocals come in at the same time as the guitar, a baritone, semi-distorted. Droning, with amazing vocals overtop. Kinda dark sounding, until the pre-chorus which sounds brighter. Then, the chorus, heavy and brutal. Very cool. A very anthemic, triumphant song. No guitar solo on this one, probably the only one without one.

4) God Rocket (Into The Heart Of Las Vegas) (6:49)
Real Audio Clip

Starts out with a low pulsing synth part. Effected vocals come in. Very beautiful, amazing song. Difficult to put into words. Some people think it may have been written about 9-11. The middle section is just amazing. The tempo picks up a bit, and the song just pushes forward. Amazing instrumentals...then suddenly it drops off. Just a pulsing synth drum in the background. Soft vocals, with aggressive hits from the full band. Then it becomes heavy again, and finishes soft again.

5) Like The Sun (4:15)
Real Audio
Real Video
Quicktime Video(available here)

The first single from the album. Great track, heavy choruses (mostly thanks to the baritone guitar), great guitar solo/bridge. Very catchy melodies, lots of energy. Not the most intricate track on the CD, but still amazing.

6) Hell & Malfunction (7:00)

Starts out with spoken word, sampled from "the japanese wife" by Charles Bukowski. Enter soft, clean guitars. HUGE choruses. Amazing melodies again, very cool song. But in a 7 minute song, you know that's not all there is. HUGE bridge. This one would be amazing live. Slow, driving, heavy section. AMAZING guitar solo, thanks in part to a Digitech Whammy pedal. Then, into a cool instrumental section. Soft clean guitar, playing a very cool syncopated type thing. Vocals come back in, still soft. Back to the huge chorus again, until the end.

7) Soft Bomb Salad (7:3

Begins with a cool bass and drum thing, and soft guitar comes in with the vocals, simple to begin with, but very cool. Cool chorus, very catchy, still soft. Suddenly a cool, almost funky guitar part comes in, joined soon by the whole band. The song suddenly becomes kinda heavy. Cool guitar solo, can't place my finger on it, but it sounds very similar to something I've heard before. Layered lead parts now, all over the stereo spectrum. Very cool. In a bit of an odd time signature. In fact, that's one thing that makes this song not simple at all, it's rhythms and time signatures are all very different, and cool. Soft ending, with the chorus.

Juicy (4:12)

Featured on the "xXx" Canadian soundtrack as a last minute addition, begins with slap guitar. Very funky, high energy song, and very heavy. A great one live (saw them back in October). The middle section has got to be one of the coolest I've ever heard. The guitar goes into this cool layered, clean-tone tapping part, that just amazed me, cuz he could do it LIVE! Then, a great, screaming guitar solo. Back to the chorus, and the end.

9) No Coma (4:2

Softer song, very emotional. Very cool. Lots of arpeggiated type stuff. Big, heavy chorus again. Very catchy melodies. Would make a great single, while still complex enough to not be "Just a single". "Tell everyone I'm numb...", the line from the chorus, sums up how you should be feeling by this point in the CD, and prepares you for what's about to come.

10) Meat Dreams (8:21)
I. Umbilical Transmissions
II. We Be Nine
III. That's Quite An Erection Eric
IV. Blondes And Bluster

THIS IS HUGE! This is a huge, prog-like song. Devided into four parts (as seen above) this song is full of way too much amazing stuff to put into words. The guitar, the bass, the drums, the vocals, ALL AMAZING! This song is worth the price of the CD ($13.99 in Canada) alone. Huge sections, with lots of layered guitars, with a sound that I can't quite put a finger on, but have heard before... Some of the lead work borders on shred.

11) Passenger/A Moment Of Extreme Violence (bonus track) (9:00)

Passenger: A softer song, with electric piano, synth strings, synth drums and vocals. No guitar, bass, or actual drums. Very melodic, very emotional, very dark, very very cool.

A Moment Of Extreme Violence: Crickets provide the backing for this funky, almost country sounding baritone guitar solo track. Clean tone, with heavy tremolo (effect, not bar) use. I think there's some slap in there too.

There's the review, this is a huge CD, and takes a lot to take in. Best listened to uninterupted, and straight from beginning to end. Unfortunately, it's not available in stores in the States, or some other countries (Canadian band, and not hugely successful outside of Canada) but it is available from their site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

*updated with links to clips*
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 10:07 PM

This is a pretty darn extensive review, might give'em a listen
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

It's a pretty darn extensive CD Especially "Meat Dreams"
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 02:01 PM

Anybody with a song called "Meat Dreams" has to be worth checking out!
I think I have one of there CDs from a while back. I cant remember what it was called but I seem to remember a dog on the cover wearing a gas mask or something. Pretty cool album, I 'll have to check the new one out.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

That *might* be Dig or Scenery and Fish. This is a big step forward from those albums. I've heard it compared to Rush, Genesis, Dream Theater and Tool.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 03:08 PM

i was listening to "like the sun" last night. Cool. Didn't see the rest of the clips up then, but I'll listen to them now.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2003, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
i was listening to "like the sun" last night. Cool. Didn't see the rest of the clips up then, but I'll listen to them now.
Man, the clips don't even begin to do it justice. Especially Meat Dream, and Hell & Malfunction. Just truly amazing music.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2003, 12:01 AM

Hey, they've updated the IME site with some more short realplayer clips if anyone is interested...

http://www.imenation.com/index.php?cmd=tqmd

Check out the one for 'Meat Dreams'!!

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2003, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

Hey Cybrid

Didn't see that! Thanx for the update!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 10:01 AM

No problem.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 11:23 AM

Anybody else check out this album?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybrid
Anybody else check out this album?
Cool to see ya around here again, almost forgot about this thread

Final show of the tour for this album coming up real soon, wish I could go, but can't
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybrid
Hey, they've updated the IME site with some more short realplayer clips if anyone is interested...

http://www.imenation.com/index.php?cmd=tqmd

Check out the one for 'Meat Dreams'!!

Here are some full MP3/WMA links to sample some IME tunes if anyone reading this hasn't heard much from them....

Hell & Malfunction *
Songburst & Delirium
Meat Dreams * <--definitely check out this one!!!!!
My Beautiful Deep End
Earth, Sky & C.

* = tracks from their newest album the Quicksilver Meat Dream
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Good idea Cybrid

Tags
baritone guitar , clean tone , digitech whammy , digitech whammy pedal , whammy pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode